If you own the Samsung i600...

Guest jeffbcell

Guest larsdennert

I don't know that the GPS system built into new phones reports location to the phone or just to the 911 operator. I know that some Motorola Nextel phones have a proper GPS built in. The basic problem for the i600 is that it doesn't have bluetooth anyway to talk to the external GPS locator from Socketcom

• 4 weeks later...

Am a Sprint Nextel employee in Kansas City, MO, and have been greatly enjoying the i600 over Christmas holidays. :) Just purchased it about 3 weeks ago.

I use the phone for business and toy, and have:

512 MB SanDisk card

Power Calendar (trial)

Power Tasks (trial)

Papyrus (trial - won't be keeping this one)

Repligo (trial)

Xbar2

PHM Registry Editor

Mapopolis (free maps)

City Time Alarms

SplashID

Splash Photo

Have also downloaded Theme Generator and many free wav and theme file files.

Had a Treo 600 as a replacement to the i500 that my wife uses. I really missed the form factor and reliability of the Samsung, and sold the Treo to a colleague in favor of the i600. I think it is a great phone in terms of size, appearance, features and reliability. The only glitch seems to be with Active Sync sometimes not staying connected after initially syncing. I drop a lot of stuff directly over from Windows Explorer to Active Sync Explorer, and sometimes have to re-dock the phone in order to get access to the file system.

One other problem experienced was becoming overly obsessed with configuring/exploring the phone. Had to promise my dear wife that I would devote some time to human interaction as well. The i600 can definitely be addicting! (And yes, this is entirely my own personal endorsement without regard to my Sprint affiliation).

• 1 month later...

Hi, I go by MalKiE here. I live in Richmond Va and use my I600for everything I can. I have had it for over a year and am mostly happy with it. I use a 1 Gb SD card (and a 256Mb for backup), the flexible keyboard, and a car cassette adapter to play .WMP in my truck. I would really like to be able to use the BT of the 2003 OS but even two years after the phones release NO DICE!. I still use the original pouch as the Circuit City case fell apart after I altered it to fit the extended life battery. I don't need a camera and already have an eTrex Vista GPS. I use

SmartExplorerEN 2.0.2,

PocketTV (video)

Agile Messenger (MMS)

All Calculator

Attach Smart

ClearView Suite (Office viewer)

Connected Bits (weather)

FizzBill Now (tip calc)

Gnuboy emulator (Gameboy and GBC)

Handango Inhand (Software downloading direct to phone)

Jeyo Personalizer (i don't like it much though)

Dragon Bane II (RPG)

Legacy (RPG)

MAVEC (RTS)

Mapopolis (Would-be GPS if phone had BT)

Metro SP (World subway line maps)

Nethack 3-4-3 (RPG)

Network Calculator (IP calc)

All of Orneta'a apps (Some good stuff)

SiDiary (diabetes tracking)

SmartSS (Screen capture)

Tiny Stocks (investment monitor)

Town Compass DB (encyclopedia)

xbar (IE accelerater)

Windows Theme generator

Sprite Backup

I have tried just about all of the older apps available for this OS and these are the ones that work best for me. I am always looking for new apps and new accessaries.

I have 300 Mb of .MP3's on it and about 200 Mb of .Mpeg1 video's and I use the I600 as a WDSL modem for my desktop while it's cradled. I have had some reset and time-out issues with the phone but not enough to make me like it any less.

Just heard that Windows Mobile 2005 should be out in July and will have WMP10 and Wi-Fi support. I am currently taking programming course in school to learn how to write the drivers for BT and Wi-Fi for our phones since nobody else wants our money. Verizon has just started its wireless media feature (i.e. Music/Video/News) and I'm going to look into that.

If the industry has not made drivers for this phone for BT and Wi-Fi by December 2005 I will switch to a newer phone that has them integrated as this is an awesome phone but could be ALOT better if the OEM's helped it realize its potential.

-MalKiE

• 3 months later...
Guest djalienx

I've had my I600 since Febuary and I love it. I have a 1 gig sd filled with mp3's and dvd movies (to keep me entertained when my adhd kicks in ;) ) I'd love to be able to unlock the phone to install cab files but I'll find out somehow. I bought the stereo adapter so I can hook it up in my truck to stream music from di.fm. I have no real complaints about this phone, being that it is my first smartphone, I upgraded from a sph-n200 so yea its kinda a big leap, but a great phone all around.

• 2 months later...
Guest tmoulton

GOT AN I-600 128MB SD CARD. PHOTO CONTACTS. PLANNING ON GETTING A 1GIG SD CARD. PVPLAYER INSTALLED AND IM LEARNING THE WIDE WORLD OF 3GP VIDEOS.

NOT SURE IF ID JUST BE BETTER OFF ENCODING WMV'S OR NOT THOUGH

Guest Pondrew
GOT AN I-600 128MB SD CARD. PHOTO CONTACTS. PLANNING ON GETTING A 1GIG SD CARD. PVPLAYER INSTALLED AND IM LEARNING THE WIDE WORLD OF 3GP VIDEOS.

NOT SURE IF ID JUST BE BETTER OFF ENCODING WMV'S OR NOT THOUGH

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Please don't SHOUT :)

• 2 weeks later...
I have had an I600 since it hit the market in Phoenix, AZ. I love it. I have a 512 MB SD card. I replaced the holster that came with it with one that Verizon sells, allowing it to flip open. I paid $385 and have a data plan that is $44.95 for unlimited data (in addition to my calling plan). Other than the "slow responding" caller ID and not being able to assign custom ringers to contacts, I am very happy with the phone and utilize the PDA functions daily.

If anyone has found a good source for accessories, please let me know as, so far, they seem to be very limited.

[email protected]

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Paulsdad. There is a way you can customize your ringers for contacts. You must tranfer wav. files to your sound file. To do that when you phone is cradled to you computer, you must first have a wav. file copied or ready to transfer. Click on My Computer. Click on Mobile Device. Click on My Smartphone. Click on Storage. Then click on Application Data. Then click on Sound. Then paste or tranfer you wav. file in there. If certain sounds that you want aren't wav.... there is software that can convert to wav.

You can also transfer wav. files within your phone as well. This is always fun..... Record your own voice by recording a Voice Note which is found in you Sart Menu. You know, say something like....Pick up the phone! Then make sure you save it. Then go to Start Menu. Click on Smart Explorer. Click on Storage. Then click on My Documents. Then click on Notes. Then scroll down to the one you want, you can preview it by clicking on it...but when you're done previewing it, click the back arrow. So whe you have scrolled down to the one you want, press the Edit button. Click on Select Item. Then press Edit button again. Then click Selection. Then click Copy Selection. After that, scroll all the way back up and click on Applicaton Data. Then click on Sound. Then press the Edit button. Click on Selection Then click on Paste Selection...... and there you go! You have your very own personalized ringers that you can assign to contacts or even to incoming call...whatever you want. I wish you luck! If any questions, please ask.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Kinsbane

I've got an i600 with WM2003.

I was wondering where I can download PocketTV and which software is the best for converting DVD's into Smartphone movies?

I've got a 256mb SD card now, but next week I will be picking up the largest-size SD card I can find.

Guest Kinsbane

Ugh, I found Pocket TV but am having problems with ActiveSync 3.8.

WHen I first installed AS3.8 it found the Samsung MIT USB Device, but when AS goes to sync, it just sits there saying, "Connecting.." it's been doing this

for a while now.

Is there a way I can download a cab file of PocketTV and install that way?

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all. I got my I600 about 2 weeks ago free from Sprint when my I500 locked up (I had only had it about a month). I am still trying to like this phone. I appreciate the OS and some of the applications and abilities it has. However, I really enjoyed the larger screen and touch capabilities of the I500. It seemed to me a little easier to navigate. I use my phone for both personal and business. I work in sales and I am never in the office. Being constantly on the road and my companys main source of communication being email, I need to be able to quickly and accurately send/receive emails. I look forward to being able to make this my mp3 player to drop another piece of equipment. All in all, I have enjoyed using this phone.

Cheers

Edited by TR180

• 1 month later...
Guest ltracy1000

Have one, like it. Freezes up sometimes, but I just deal with it. Have all the stock eqipment (headet, cradle, case, etc...) Getting the keyboard in a week. Looks pretty cool.

• 4 months later...
Guest Briz600

Well im a bit out of date . I just got my first smartphone a few weeks ago . I got a i600 off Ebay for 175 in great cond . I been Wanting one of these things for years now but so damn exspensive. anyway I know im a bit out of date with things and probably the last to post in this thread .. I love this phone and to me it still smokes any other smartphone out there to date :)

Guest R8nd0m
Well im a bit out of date . I just got my first smartphone a few weeks ago . I got a i600 off Ebay for 175 in great cond . I been Wanting one of these things for years now but so damn exspensive. anyway I know im a bit out of date with things and probably the last to post in this thread .. I love this phone and to me it still smokes any other smartphone out there to date :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I also got one from ebay a weeks ago for cheap, its the best phone I've had. Only problem with it is that permissions thing, but thats nothing new.

• 1 month later...
Guest CRex42

Hello,

Picked up my first Smartphone, i600, off Ebay last week. Brand new, still in the plastic/box for $175. Came with two extended batts and one standard. I've been playing around with it for a few days and love this phone! I'm still exploring what it can do, but I'm glad I found this site. Even though the phone is kinda out of date by now, I will get a lot of use out it. My last phone was a Samsung N400 so I've really stepped up here! ;) I ordered a 256MB card and a custom case from Krusell. Right now I'm surfing for good software. Thanks to everyone who posts here for their help.