Which is better, and why? E200 or MPX200?

Guest Pulse

After looking around, I've seen the E200 in a different light, and grown to like it. I have heard so many bad things about the MPX aswell, which is kind of putting me off it. Is the E200 any better, and in what way? I'd like some advice, as I'm going to buy one of them in a days time!

Much appreciated if you could help me :lol:

Guest beersoft

I voted for the mpx as i have one.

the E200 has a better spec but the moto's reliablity and battery life swing it for me

now if they just fixed the problems with the mpx and stuck wm2k3,bluetooth and a camera on it we would have a winner

later

Owen

Yeah, I prefer the features of the E200, as I like having a camera on my phone, but two things put me off. The looks, and the battery life, as I'll always be using an SD card (listening to music or watching movies or something)

got both and still end up using the MPX the most. close run thing tho, you grow to like the E200. When they fix the battery life it will be a winner. untill then its the Coolness of the MPX 8)

Guest biffsmash

Obviously the E200 is the best (in my opinion)

Bluetooth once you work it out is fine, camera built in, although not great one, is still built in, and a phone that's fast and reliable, with 1 or 2 bugs that should be ironed out with the update!!

Then theres the mpx200...

old os 2002 etc, no camera or bluetooth, it's a flip phone fgs!!! how can anyone call a flip phone cool lololol "beam me up scotty" hehe

All they need to do to make this phone look even less cool is add an aerial hehe :D

Battery wise, it seems the mpx200 lasts a lot longer than the spve200, even though its battery is smaller, 860 mAh, while the e200 battery is 1000mAh. I imagine this is software related and should be fixed with an update :)

This said, when the MPX220 is released, if it has the 1.3 mp camera with flash, text input T9 etc that works and nice call quality, then its mine!!

mainly for the camera cos thats gotta be the best camera in any phone??

peace

biffy

• 4 weeks later...
Guest AaronSoup

I got given an e200 by orangecare after my mpx200 fell apart (by fell apart read I threw it at a wall during a fight with my girlfriend and it ended up with either side of the flip in seperate worlds- but orange didnt need to know that), here's my opinion:

Design/Looks:

Mpx200 wins handsdown... the black/chrome with blue detail really does it for me, phones don't get classier than me...

For a flip phone it's pretty bulky, but the SPV just doesn't feel quite as solidly made.

In terms of design, mpx is well thought out, as is the SPV, but I hate the stupid jog-dial thing for the mpx volume control... The best feature of the MpX for me is the dual speaker output... Having speakers on both sides of the flip is inspired.

Battery Life:

MpX200 handsdown again... I was very dissapointed by the MpX battery life, bitching to people that reccomended it to me that it only lasted 3 days or so (abliet with heavy useage)...

However... after receiving my e200, nightly charges are not my favorite passtime... I mean jesus... I probably get 10 hours out of it... ok I do use it all the time, but this is no way acceptable... Rom this Rom that but the phone never should of been released with that short a battery life.

Features/Software:

SPV wins, The camera is very functional, if not perfect (the quality isn't all that, and the delay between clicking capture and the SPV reacting is poor)...

The Video camera is more of a gimmick if you ask me.. After using the nokia (shock horror etc) 7600 video camera, I have to say it's substandard.. It's inability to hold a non-pixelated image when moving the phone is poor... isn't the idea of a video camera to take moving images??? Well i can't do that without moving my hands a bit i'm afraid... thumbs down.. Sound quality is also poor at high frequencies (my dog barking is barely recogniseable, and it's not a huge bark, only a jack russel)

2003 vs 2002 means the SPV wins the software straight away, I've found 2003, while not a revolutionary move forward to be much more quick to react (whether thats the hardware or software I don't know, but still, much quicker), easier to move around in, and easier to customise.

Signal/Audio:

MPX wins... just.

My major problem with the MpX was that it dropped signal a lot... The internal aerial just doesn't seem up to the job. However I installed a behind battery aerial that cost 50p (contary to popular opinion they do actually work quite well), and that meant I was able to make calls all the time... However I'm not taking this into account as it wasn't actually motorola that decided to put it in/paid for it. motorola seem to of forgotten that phones are actually supposed to be able to make calls...

My major problem with the SPV is that the audio quality is poor (both mic & speaker). This was the first thing I noticed, and it still bugs me now... When making long calls I actually take out my chips from the SPV and put it in my t610 so I don't have to repeat/ask people to repeat themselves a hundred times in a call.

MPX audio is perfect, when I can get signal... The loudspeaker built in the phone also lets me play music while sitting around the house without having to move off my ass, which is always useful... This is the main thing I miss from the SPV, as the loudspeaker on the SPV really isn't cut out for the job of playing music... it struggles to play even 372kbps (pure) wave files at full volume without crackling.

OK so both reviews are pretty negative, but you all know how good both phones are so there was no point in going into that...

MpX gets an 8 out of 10,

SPV an 7.5

Guest moo_ski_doo

A lot of people are saying that the E200 having WM2003 is an advantage but I wanna know why? I've only ever used WM2003 very briefly but it looks identical to me. Ignoring the .NET CF support (which most non-developers couldn't care less about - although I do appreciate this is important as far as Microsoft are concerned,) and bluetooth support which the MPX doesn't need anyway, can anyone tell me what the difference is?

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest MongolHunter

I was wondering if anyone still had the link to unlock e200's properly to use them in other regions (e.g. Canada). If anyone does it'd be a great help.

Guest Pondrew

What about the lack of officially supported WM 2003 and camera?

The poll was right. The E200 was superior.

Now lets let this thread drift back into the depths...

Guest squall

wm2003 doesnt bring to many benifits, other than .net

I rarely use a phone camera, and am not supposed to have one at work so the mpx200 was perfect for me

also the build quality was much better :D