I-mate Smartphone2 update now available. Did anyone try it?

Guest harshal

Guest efjay

Same with me, I have even flashed the phone again (not cos of this problem) and still get the problem, although sometimes it does record ok but very few times.

Guest nossac

Well I hate to say it but my video recorder works perfectly.

I put the new ROM on a couple of weeks ago and have not had any problems with it so far.

Since then I have probably taken 15 minutes worth of video and it all seems fine to me.

Battery life seems to have doubled

Speaker sound seems a lot better.

all in all I'm quite happy with it.

Guest shodanjr_gr

Just upgraded, only dled the update with the filename "RUUv2.60Inst1.10.15.2_CDL_v1.11.15.32.zip".

Put the SPV E200 in bootloader mode and ran the update. Flashed perfectly first time through :D

Guest welio

Ok, so I guess I have to wait the next Imate rom or the next Qtek (hoping that battery life in the next Qtek will be the same as Imate)...

Guest dparson

After much fiddling, I finally found a solution. Rather than starting the video capture by using the phone's 'record' button, use the soft menu key labeled 'Capture'. It's okay to load the camcorder program using the record button, but I had to start the actual video recording with the soft button to make it work consistently.

I'm very glad to have lucked out and figured this out, and hope it works for the rest of you! I'll also email Imate about this issue.

On a side note...

I contacted Imate's technical support about this video recording problem. Their help was not great, simply saying that it SHOULD work. After another attempt to extract some type of actual "technical support", they suggested a hard reset, and also mentioned installing 3rd party apps could cause a problem. I did a hard reset and that didn't help, and when I asked what specific apps will cause a problem, THEY COULDN'T SPECIFY ONE. Nice!

If you're interested, below is the complete email conversation I had with them, going last to first (so start reading it from the bottom).

Dear Mr. Parson,

As per your query, any third party software installed on our devices may affect the system files of the operating system, and upon this some of your video options will be affected too. There is no specific third party software we don't recommend, but we advise not to download any for we do not provide any guarantee for the usability or functionality of the third party software with our device, and is solely upon the discretion of the user. Please remove the third party software from your device and perform a hard reset on your device and just restore your

personal data via active sync or permanent save.

If you have any other queries, please feel free to contact us at any time, we will be glad to assist you.

Best regards,

Youssef Houry

Technical Operations Engineer

i-mate from Carrier Devices

Sent: Monday, July 12, 2004 8:49 PM

To: Youssef Houry

Subject: RE: Camcorder Not Working

Mr. Houry,

Thank you for your quick reply. I appreciate your time on this matter.

Indeed the latest ROM does have many features and I agree that it is excellent. So I hope we can resolve this issue.

What kinds of third party applications conflict with the video recording software? If there are any specific pieces of software that do, please let me know.

I need to resolve this issue since I require the camcorder feature of the phone for work, so I hope you are willing to help out. I really appreciate it!

Thanks again,

David E. Parson | Sr. Solution Developer Avanade Inc., | Chicago Development Center

Direct: xxx

Mobile: xxx

www.avanade.com

Sent: 7/12/2004 3:36:15 AM

To: "David Parson"

Cc:

Subject: RE: Camcorder Not Working

Dear Mr. Parson,

Thank you for your query. Regarding your issue, the latest ROM version

(1.10.15) includes many improvements and new features as well. As for the camcorder feature, it is supposed to work properly without any problems, and you should be able to record video with audio as well. I advise you not to download any third party software on your device if you did install, for it may affect some system files from running correctly.

If you have any other queries, please feel free to contact us at any time, we will be glad to assist you.

Best regards,

Youssef Houry

Technical Operations Engineer

i-mate from Carrier Devices

Sent: Sunday, July 11, 2004 10:32 PM

To: Support and Contactus

Subject: Camcorder Not Working

Is there a patch to fix the camcorder function of the Imate2?

Apparently the latest ROM causes the camcorder feature to only record audio but not video.

Thank you,

David E. Parson | Sr. Solution Developer

Avanade Inc. | Chicago Development Center

161 N. Clark St., Suite 3700, Chicago, IL 60601

Direct: xxx

Mobile: xxx

www.avanade.com

Guest shodanjr_gr

OK my report on the rom flash issue :

Battery life was MUCH improved. Phone is on for 24 hours, has had some medium usage (both gprs and talking) and just droped to a single line of battery life. Very big improvement.

I too encountered the camera fault. If i record video using the record button, only the first frame of the video will play (while audio plays as normal). Recordings done using the Capture soft button work fine.

This rom did not fix the "stuck 4 button" issue that i had encountered. So it either is hardware related (which is very very bad) or the phone will work properly only with the original Orange rom (ps i got an Orange SPV E200).

The phone also seems a tad more responsive than it was with the qtek greek rom.

Guest Killroy

Hi guys,

I installed the new imate rom over my ch rom 2.6.5.3.

I too have noticed vast improvments with regards to the battery and especially the audio qualtiy when on the phone. I can hear the other person much better now and vice versa. (thats in the open too, traffic, noise!)

I have noticed this morning that the media player stops if you go to the home screen or if you lock the keys. Bummer really as you can't shove the phone in your pocket and listen as you walk so to say. Maybe there's a fix for that some where.

All in all, so far, impressed with the rom. The ch rom was and is a disaster. I still can't get over the difference in the audio quality. Don't know why it varies between the different roms/carriers but the imate rom has got it right.

Later,

Killroy

Guest Killroy

Hi,

You don't need the greek rom... just download the imate 1.10.5.2 rom and florins fix here

run the rom update, but specify a different location to extract the files. Cancel the installation.

When thats done, copy the florin update exe into the new folder with the extracted files.

Start the installation using the updated fix exe.

Obviously, first connected to the pc with activesync deactivated. Best to restart your phone to the bootloader, kill the wcescomm.exe process and run the update.

killroy

Guest sgannon

Thanks Killroy - will give that a go this evening.

Presumably if I fully charge the battery before installing the ROM then it'll also improve the battery life (as per the e200 hard reset thread)?

Guest sgannon

Okay, tried the above (5 times) but it only gets to "Upgrade 0% completedd" and gives ERROR 113: UPDATE ERROR every time.

I'm running the fixed.exe - am I stuffed without the Greek rom? :?

Guest spacemonkey

Not saying the update is 100% good, cos I haven't tested the phone out yet, but I had the same problem as sgannon.

In the end my method was:

1) Install the imate 2 to a directory then exit

2) Extract the greek rom to a directory

3) copy NK.nbf from imate 2 to greek

4) run the VoUpgradeUT-GR.exe

I tried florin's exe but was getting the same jamming type behaviour.

The greek exe is unfortunately in greek... run one of the english ones first and remember where the buttons are :P

Also, if you need the greek rom, I got mine here:

http://www.ace-hellas.gr/qtek/greek/qtek8080gr-110.exe

Guest sgannon

Thanks mthomas50 & spacemonkey.

Found the Greek rom in the same location and have successfully installed it following the instructions mthomas50 left. Worked first time. Restored personal info using Sprite (excellent software) and it's running superbly. Very quick. Very blue.. Perhaps I should have saved some colour schemes before I updated! 8)

Guest salavat
I have noticed this morning that the media player stops if you go to the home screen or if you lock the keys. Bummer really as you can't shove the phone in your pocket and listen as you walk so to say. Maybe there's a fix for that some where.

This is not the update issue, but the settings in your WMP. In the media player go to Menu-Settings and enable playing in the background.

Hope this helps.

On the upside the battery life did improve for me (not significantly though).

Guest Killroy

Hi sgannon

here's what i did.

Extracted the imate exe to location c:imate

Uninstalled/reinstalled activesync - did not create partnership.

So as not to ruin the contents of the imate folder created, I copy that folder and then copy florins fixed VoUpgradeUT exe into the copied imate folder, in this folder you now have

nk.nbf

voclearjumpcode

vogetdevicedata

voupgradeut - original

voupgradeut for bt v1 etc - from florin

At this stage, I restart the spv to bootloader modus (hold the record button while powering on).

Put the spv in the cradle.

Shut down activesync and that includes the wcescomm.exe process in task manager.

Start the update using florins voupgradeut for bt.....exe

It should work...

On that note, I tried the greek updates, dk updates etc and none of them worked, either stoped at 0% or 10%.

Remember to start from the bootloader screen.

Using florins exe with the imate rom ran perfectly.

Don't lose faith, you may have slipped up somewhere. Try again

killroy

Guest Killroy

Thanks salavat,

I was sure I had double checked that background play was selected. Tried again and it is ok. Funny that you haven't noticed battery difference. Mine is 10 times better. All night just lost 1 bar where normally I'd be down to 2.

killroy

Guest sgannon

Thanks killroy but managed to install it using the Greek installer. Seems to be different methods of installing depending on your operator / rom. Can't say my battery is significantly better either, but the SD card bug seems to be fixed and it's quicker and louder. It's like having a new phone!

Guest spacemonkey

It all seems good. App unlocked by default, Surreal Start, keyboard, remote active sync display... all the dodgy stuff works o/

First impression is that the SDCard bug is gone too...

I did find that it wouldn't let move some files around, like start menu items, jpgs to app data/home...

An "unlock" fixed these problems, not sure what "legal" unlock options are available to apply to this rom tho...

Guest mthomas50

Hello - Its been a week or 2 since I installed the Imate ROM and I thought I'd give you an update on my findings:

1 Battery Life - Battery life is most definately improved but not as significant as over the 1st few days of using the phone

2 Speed - the phone is a lot more responsive than with the Orange ROM(s) - it is actually usable now :P

3 Reliability - The phone has not crashed since - maybe a coincidence - who knows? But I'm not complaining!

All in all (and to quote a McDonalds advert) - "I'm loving it!"

Also I'm glad my step by step guide was helpful - it was nothing :D - I'm just glad my time getting the damn thing to work may avoid others spending so long trying!

Mark

Guest sgannon

I'd agree with all the above. However, i've found that although battery life isn't significantly better if you're using the phone heavily, if you're not using it, the battery now drains at less than 2% per hour instead of the 4-5% before (mine used 22% in 12 hours). This is probably because the phone isn't sitting searching for the SD card all day.