GAPI to GDI wrapper for 8390

Guest picard_beta

Guest schriss

Yes, I think it would be a good idea if more people tried that with different network providers. There is a chance your jMMS is OK, but there is something wrong with your GPRS settings.

Guest stohn

The signing solution is crap...

why don't you fix it the right way?

The memory block descriptor for the GAPI video buffer has only system access (ring0) just change it to user mode (ring1). Documentation to do this is available from Intel (StrongArm processor spec).

No wrapper, no signing, just a little tool to execute after each reset in autostart.

To difficult eh?

Since I think you "2 heroes" already know all about that... (like you discovered the privileged access signature provisioning on unlocked phones - see first side of this post) you will not need (and not get) any help from me.

Have fun.

Guest picard_beta

@stohn: good idea. it's sad that your attitude to the subjest is offensive. my goal was to learn more about smartphones and if my knowledge could help solve somehow this problem let it be. this helps my main project BetaPlayer too. but i don't have infinite free time. i'am already back coding BetaPlayer. if you too want to get positive attention from the mio8390 users go ahead realize your idea.

Guest markgamber

Jesus...always has to be one, doesn't there? Whatever, they came up with a solution that works. You're a dollar short and a day late.

Guest schriss

Markgamber: Thanks, we really appreciate that :D

By the way, I informed Mitacservice about this thread and got this today:

"thanks for your suggestions.

best regards

Mio@support"

Maybe there is hope for a ROM upgrade? I hope so :D

Guest pwest13

@ stohn Im trying not to right a too offensive reply here, as i really feel i should to you. all i will say is, if u aint got nufin usefull to say....dont say it.

So, how about u ignore the fine efforts these guys have put in to help out noobs like me and go sit on ur own with your smartphone.

Dont offend people doin a good job, or they wont be there when u need help.

@ schriss, i got my friend to send me a MMS and it i got a image of a letter on my outer screen and yet when i looked thru my sms inbox, mms inbox i couldn't find a trace of a message, all my settings are correct i think so....

Weird eh?

Westy

Guest the bishop

Great job guys! I can't wait to use this once I get my phone by (DOH!) -- keep up the good work. As for stohn, I think he's all talk, and this was his "out" that he used so he doesn't have to provide results on anything. Until he puts out something as good as you guys have, he's a cantaloupe.

Guest FuNKySoULyBrO

Hi. I tried running the TestCert_Privileged.pfx file, but my WinXP complain that it couldn't find any file association for this file???

Guest picard_beta

@FuNKySoULyBrO: try internet explorer tools menu internet options menuitem content tab certificates button import... button. i think you can import .pfx file manually this way.

Guest the bishop

I sent my phone back (it was toasted if you all recall) and the support mgr I talked to told me he would upgrade my 8390 to the newest firmware/bios version. I asked him how it is done and if there is a way to upgrade/update it ourselves as he seems like a pretty straightforward guy -- will let you know his reply.

Huge THANKS to picard and schriss for making this possible, now you two are my heros!

:D :D :lol: :D 8) :wink:

and everybody don't forget to try out the new BetaPlayer! It rocks!

Guest Feidhlim

hey, hope you guys can help me. im trying to get picodrive to work, but when i go to give it a cert it cant find any cert in the store. (i have followed instructions to the letter)

i also went to IE / tools/ internet options/ content/ certificates/ import and used that with the testcert_privilaged file.

im not exactly sure how any of this works, but any help would be appreciated.

• 1 month later...
Guest The PocketTV Team
not only the GAPI dll have to be privileged signed

I think you mean just "signed". There is no need to sign with a "privileged" certificate, signature with "regular" Smartphone certificate should be enough, correct ?

Privileged certificates are only necessary for applications that need to access privileged API's, and they are extremely difficult (or impossible) to obtain. I don't think anyone can get a privileged certificate for the mio 8390.

Guest schriss

Of course PocketTV works when signed, I have it on my Mio8390 :)

Enterprise would work without any effort from users if it was signed with the certificate you can find it the signing pack.

OR you could sign it with your own certificate and have the installer install that certificate on the phone somehow during installation.

Guest The PocketTV Team
Of course PocketTV works when signed, I have it on my Mio8390  :)  

Enterprise would work without any effort from users if it was signed with the certificate you can find it the signing pack.

OR you could sign it with your own certificate and have the installer install that certificate on the phone somehow during installation.

Not sure what you mean.

My questions are:

Does PocketTV Classic work with Picard's patch installed ?

(or does the user need to "Sign" PocketTV in order to make it work when the patch is installed ?)

Does PocketTV Enperprise work *without* Picard's patch installed ?

PocketTV Enterprise is signed with the standard Smartphone certificate. We cannot change that. We cannot sign it with another certificate, because we need to use the "regular" Smartphone cert, so that it runs on all Smartphones.

So I don't understand your comment. Can you clarify ? (and answer my two simple questions above, if you can)

Thanks!

Guest schriss

Ahh, I wasnt's sure wtah "solution" you are asking about :)

Patch is a wrapper and it is independent solution, it does not need signing. I do not have it installed, because I choose to sign all my apps. It takes whole 5 seconds to sign an app :P

I hope someone using wrapper can confirm PocketTV is working flawlesly, please? :D

Guest The PocketTV Team

Ok, I understand.

And so, if we were signing PocketTV Classic with a particular cert (where can we find it ?), it would work on the 8390 ?

And would the user have to just install the app, or would he have to also install that cert on the device ?

Guest schriss

If you would sign your app with the cert, it would instantly work on the phones that already have the cert installed, i.e. those peopple that "play" with signing. Installing a cert on the phone is one time task but needs to be done. If someone is currently not using signing, then your signed app still wouldn't work, the person would just need to install cert on the phone and that's it - no application signing needed.

It's all here, along with instructions (sorry for the bananas, but we were all so happy... :) ):

http://smartphone.modaco.com/viewtopic.php...p=418650#418650

Guest The PocketTV Team

Ok... now, one more question: wasn't possible to figure out the address of the raw frame buffer on the 8390 ?

Or is this address somehow protected by the OS ?

Because if it was not protected, then any app would be able to write there directly, without this signature mess.

Guest The PocketTV Team

Another question:

Is it possible to sign with your certificate, and then, sign with another cert (e.g. the standard Smartphone cert) ?

If the applications is signed with multiple certs, will it work ?

Naturally, the problem is that we don't have a 8390 to test that...

Guest schriss

Signing with another cert replaces the previous one, BUT there are advanced options available when signing, when enabled, there is something like "additional certificates" but i couldn't sign exe with two certs so far, I will try some more...

If you have such exe (signed with both certs: yours and the one from GAPI solution pack) I could try that on my Mio8390.

Guest The PocketTV Team

well, first i'll try signing PocketTV Classic with your cert, and then if you can test if it works, that would be great.

if that works, we'll give people the information about how to install the cert in their phone... unless... maybe that can be done automatically, in our CAB file ?

can we do that using automatic provisionning ?

who owns this cert that needs to be installed on the phone ? you ?

Guest schriss

I already have signed PocketTV and it works great on my phone. I think the only problem will be in the case of app locked phones, these will require two certificates. One to work at all, second for GAPI to work.

Cert owner is Picard :)

Regarding automatic provisioning, all there is to it is to execute this at dos prompt:

RapiConfig.exe /p sdktestcerts.xml

RapiConfig.exe is in SDK and of course included in signing pack. It does not require ANY input on PC nor the phone.

(which I don't like!! ANY application can silently sign itself on a PC and install its cert on the phone??? WITHOUT user knowledge...)