How to strip the MPX200 (With Pictures) UPDATED

Guest awarner

Guest awarner [MVP]

It's been a while since my first pictures were posted for the internal

components, so after a few requests I have decided to create a guide on

how to take the phone apart.

These are all new pictures which include the never seen before keyboard stripped down to expose the circuit layout.

To open the main body of the phone you need a T5 Torx screwdriver

(I have posted in the past saying a T4 but later found out that was due to my old driver being worn out :oops:)

Remove the four screws, then you need a small flat bladed screwdriver to

unclip the two retaining clips in the middle sides of the body see below pointing to one of the clips, the other one is on the oppersite side.

post-53-1149343196_thumb.jpg

Once you have uncliped the cover, lift back from the battery cover release end to remove the cover out of the way.

Now you can see the SD card socket

post-53-1149343235_thumb.jpg

After removing the screen connector strip, can be lifted out of the way

to expose the Keypad buttons and keypad membrane side of the circuitboard. You can also see the internal battery.

post-53-1149343277_thumb.jpg

post-53-1149343450_thumb.jpg

The metal keypad membrane support plate can be carefully lifted to show the components underneath.

post-53-1149343468_thumb.jpg

This next part I do not recommend anyone to try unless you want to risk destroying the keypad. I removed the membrane from the backing plate

and then proceded to seperate the top memberane from the circuitboard.

As you can see this is the matix layout of the keypad.

post-53-1149343482_thumb.jpg

post-53-1149343493_thumb.jpg

I went this far in my testing to find the actual cause of the DownLeft problem on the main controller.

Now to move on to the Flip section of the phone.

On the display side there are four rubber plugs, remove these and then the T5 Tork srews underneath them.

Now the hard part, there are two clips either side of the case which have to be lifted very carefully with a small thin blade. You have to be carefull

otherwise you will mark the case as the top cover is plastic.

post-53-1149343520_thumb.jpg

Once you have done this on the hinge is another clip, lift the cover from the top (speaker end) and carefully slide the cover towards the hinge.

Failure to do this will result in the clip being broken off.

You can also see in this picture the vibrate motor and the magnet used for activating the main screen on and off.

post-53-1149343539_thumb.jpg

Once you have the cover removed unclip the connector cable then you

can lift out the display circuitry.

Note in the two pictures the earpiece speaker and hands free speaker are one component mounted back to back.

post-53-1149343568_thumb.jpg

post-53-1149343598_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest awarner [MVP]

Right I've been playing again and due to a question asked about the

backlight I've decided to go another step further :)

Here are new pictures of the backlight stripped down to show how it works.

The light is generated by three white LEDs based at the bottom of the

screen and gets reflected via a prismatic plate very similar to the SPV.

The advantage the MPX200 has over the SPV it that this plate is at the

back of the display rather than on the front so it not prone to the

handling damage the SPV had.

post-53-1121160011_thumb.jpgpost-53-1121159992_thumb.jpgpost-53-1121160029_thumb.jpgpost-53-1121160042_thumb.jpgpost-53-1121160053_thumb.jpgAccord_sample.jpgpost-53-1121160085_thumb.jpgpost-53-1121160099_thumb.jpg[attachmen

=14539:attachment]

post-53-1121160073_thumb.jpg

post-53-1121160147_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Guest madmaxedcn

can u pls tell me how the backlight turns on and off.. like what is the mech than turns it on or off magnets , deep switch,? my backlight keeps on going out i put a little preshure on it it goes back on.

Guest awarner [MVP]

The backlight is controlled by a small magnet (in yellow in the pictures above)

This is a very strong magnet so your problem may be a loose connector cable

ehich does not seem likely as it is clamped into place.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is really COOL! =D>

I love to see "what's under the hood" like this, although I'm envious of your skill with these tiny parts. My meathooks would make hash of them for sure.

One small queation, Where is the Internal Antenna?

Thanks!

MadSci

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest awarner [MVP]

On the display side there are four rubber plugs, remove these and then the T5 Tork srews underneath them.

Now the hard part, there are two clips either side of the case which have to be lifted very carefully with a small thin blade. You have to be carefull

Once you have done this on the hinge is another clip, lift the cover from the top (speaker end) and carefully slide the cover towards the hinge.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest MotoMaster

Nice job Awarner! Did you do this just by yourself (no instructions...)?

Some of the pics aren't displayed! I can't see them. There only says: "user posted image".

Guest awarner [MVP]

Yep all my own work and no instructions :D

As far as I'm aware I was the first to strip the MPX200 and give instructions on how to do it. It was an interesting learning curve but

regarding the images I still need to sort them out as the link for them was lost when the site moved at the beginning of the year.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest MadSci
It's been a while since my first pictures were posted for the internal

components, so after a few requests I have decided to create a guide on

how to take the phone apart.

These are all new pictures which include the never seen before keyboard stripped down to expose the circuit layout.

To open the main body of the phone you need a T5 Torx screwdriver

(I have posted in the past saying a T4 but later found out that was due to my old driver being worn out :oops:)

Remove the four screws, then you need a small flat bladed screwdriver to

unclip the two retaining clips in the middle sides of the body see below pointing to one of the clips, the other one is on the oppersite side.

clip_point.jpg

Once you have uncliped the cover, lift back from the battery cover release end to remove the cover out of the way.

Now you can see the SD card socket

sd_card_holder.jpg

After removing the screen connector strip, can be lifted out of the way

to expose the Keypad buttons and keypad membrane side of the circuitboard. You can also see the internal battery.

topside_keypad.jpg

keypad.jpg

The metal keypad membrane support plate can be carefully lifted to show the components underneath.

under_keypad_with_battery.jpg

This next part I do not recommend anyone to try unless you want to risk destroying the keypad. I removed the membrane from the backing plate

and then proceded to seperate the top memberane from the circuitboard.

As you can see this is the matix layout of the keypad.

keypad_circuit_layout_top1.jpg

keypad_circuit_layout_underside1.jpg

I went this far in my testing to find the actual cause of the DownLeft problem on the main controller.

flip_side_clips.jpg

You can also see in this picture the vibrate motor and the magnet used for activating the main screen on and off.

back_clip_small.jpg

Once you have the cover removed unclip the connector cable then you

can lift out the display circuitry.

Note in the two pictures the earpiece speaker and hands free speaker are one component mounted back to back.

display.jpg

lcd_board.jpg

Thanks to squall for his help :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

CROSSPOST WARNING:

Hey, any chance you've had the courage to do something similar to an MPx220? I'd love to see it!

MadSci

• 1 month later...
Guest farby
CROSSPOST WARNING:

Hey, any chance you've had the courage to do something similar to an MPx220?  I'd love to see it!

MadSci

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Great work. But looking at all the pictures I dare to strip my MPx200. I am sure all will agree that its east to strip than to get dressed.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest death_me

Hi there..Its really fascinating what u did..well i have a question to u...i am quite a duh about electronics and what i understood from the pics that there is alittle part on the hinge that hides some important components..the thing is off late this particular little lid like part has been making an annoying creaking sound whenever my hands touch it,is there any way that it can be fixed without opening the entire thingie up??thanx a lot and keep up the amazing work .post-139413-1121765928_thumb.jpg

Guest LJWhorfin

My mpx200 started having earpiece problems -- no sound. I finally took mine aprart and as you can see below, the ribbon cable has been worned through -- that part that is pinched in the hinge.

Any way to get mortorola or someone to sell me a new ribbon cable?

mpx200-cable.jpg