Advantages of SPV C500 over Nokia 7610

Guest mattscholey

Guest Helix

The problems this guy is on about from my-symbian have not dettered me away from the ms based smartphones. Im not sure what everyone is always moaning about with the battery life, I hardly notice it.

At the end of the day who will be the one with Excel/Word/Powerpoint/Outlook on their phone, errrr me + MS Smartphones alike.

Im guessing that Series 60 is what the nokia's run on. I wouldnt know :roll:

The P900 was the contender for me vs the E200 and its brick like size drove me away, I'm glad it did now.

Guest Helix

Being a bit optimisitc I suppose but the M1000 has them, why not the C500. Lets just hope they make them for Windows Mobile as well as the Pocket Windows.

Afterall its Microsoft. They took over PC's, now they're onto phones. Symbian phones are what Mac's are to the PC world. :P

Guest Dr Who
[The AllAboutSymbian team who run the joint are usually very polite so I'd be suprised if any of them were rude to you.

Sorry 'bout that - should have been more clear. The mod's were very pleasant and helpful, as were the contributors to the threads I posted. But having followed bits of the forum for a while I found that the tone of a number of the posters a little off key for my tastes. It wasn't a criticism of the forum, per se - just the way in which a number of topics were discussed. Maybe I was unlucky and picked on threads with a lot of flaming?

And anyway it was my mistake in the first place - Matt was talking about my-symbian. Maybe need to change my glasses prescription. Or my screen size.

And midnight does have a point with the 7610 being in mono - not a biggie for me 'cos I don't listen to MP3's but if I did I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. Plus the fact it is reported to skip in tracks coded above about 24KHz, although that is meant to be addressed in a software patch to be released (hhmmm, a fault in a series 60 platform release......) and the RSMMC is a VERY odd choice. Can't see anyone upgrading the card in their phone if they can't find anywhere/afford to buy one.

Considering I was fairly convinced a month ago the 7610 was the one for me, the C500 has pretty much won me round with it's far better spec.

Guest ultimasnake

i don't even feel like arguing about the

This isn't even a comparison. The C500 is a Microsoft Smartphone, which brings with it poor battery life, a poorer and more expensive applications set compared to Series 60, lots of bugs and crashes, very little support as opposed to the large community of Series 60, and is more difficult to use than Series 60. The MS Smartphone platform just isn't worth the crashes, bugs and poor battery life. Go with the 7610.  

What do the MS Smartphone fans have to say about this? I can't help but agree with it I'm afraid. Ok, he's wrong about the community point (MoDaCo rules), and you all seem to think that the C500's battery is going to last weeks, but everything else is true? What do you think of this comment?  

but how the hell do you compare something which isn't on the market against something that is.... also i have a e200 and besides crashes caused by experimenting with my own software(which ofcourse is not the os's fault) it never crashed.. the battery runs the full 4 days with gprs on the entire time... good sound quality, and i never got hung up for no reason.. never missed calls that where made (in a way of them never ariving on the phone)....

I have been testing some symbian phones at my old work (which was reviewing them for there site)... and looked for good software finding absolutely nothing of real value...

Symbian people have what I like to call the "Mac pride" everything that goes wrong with there phone is caused by the 3rd party software or some hardware thingy not the os itself. Pride also keeps them from hidding the issues in there minds, like they are emberased.

While if the same happens to a ms phone they blame the os. (don't argue me on this :D, it's just based on some human knowledge :P) (I am also not saying that mac os is bad.. just that some people don't accept the fact that it also has problems.).

And Ms people are more down to earth.. it crashes? oh well restart will do.

Guest kurtfhouse

I'm sorry but mono audio output :P, and I will never buy a phone where pretty much every bloody button is a different size and shape, imagine trying to text on it :!:

Nokia need to stop recruiting escaped mental patients to design their phones, I know they're cheap but come on :D

Guest Dr Who

Ultimatesnake, all I can say is that you and Monolithix have been very lucky with your smartphones. Or I have been very unlucky. And four days of battery - surely you jest? Maybe the E200 outperforms the E100 but by a ratio of 3:1??

Having said that user reports of the 7610 are panning it for it's 2 day battery life. Sound familiar???

Guest kurtfhouse

I have had two MPx200's, the first was damaged by me being a pratt and taking it for a swim to cool down on holiday :P

I have never had any real problems with either of them though, I thought I did but it turned out to be the usb cable

Its seems some people get shafted with several turkey's and others just get lucky

Guest ultimasnake

@Dr Who

this purely depends on the fact if you upgraded the phone or not... at first i got 2 days at most.. but the upgrade fixed loads of problems (added a few :P) and it was doubled... the 4th day is a hell though... but mostly it does survive :D

Guest Dr Who

Hmmmm, I have replaced my E100 twice 'cos it switches itself off. And I have had my latest one turn itself off a couple of times as well. I might see if they will offer me an E200 as replacement, especially since it comes with the updated ROM and even more since I believe an even newer ROM is available that fixes the low sound and SD-card problems. Would tide me over for a month until I upgrade to the C500 :P

Peace

Who?

Guest Dr Who

Enquired about upgrading to the 7610 yesterday - whilst complaining that my latest E100 HAS begun turning itself off occasionally (at the moment) - and they quoted me £100. I was talking to the wrong department though and suspect I could have perhaps negotiated a few quid off. Seems a bit steep to me. When it comes to getting the C500 I think I might have to jump up and down a bit and remind them of how much I spend at Orange every month. Can't really threaten to leave though, nobody else carries the C500 and a SIM unlocked version will still be more than the upgrade cost. Grrrrrr.

Guest Chic0

Don't think I could go back to using a Nokia.

I managed to get a contract job at T-Mobile for the Euro 2004 event. Part of the job involved testing the t-zones portal on various handsets, including Nokias. I mainly used the Nokia 6600 but for a new phone I found it quite slow. The most annoying thing for me was not having a 'Home' button. I love the fact that on Microsoft handsets you can temporarily come out of any/most programs, open up something else and even go back to the program you were using initially.

Anyway, just thought I'd add my two pennies worth.