Headphones for MPx200

Guest greenwood

Guest greenwood

I just made an adaptor from 2,5" to 3,5" connector and connected my headphones to MPx200. I'm really disappointed with the sound quality when playing MP3. I found Motorola is producing One Touch Headset HS525 for listening to MP3 music. Is it any better with these headphones or it is just usual crap that mobile manufacturers provide?

Guest awarner [MVP]

Did you get the pin outs correct on the adaptor (remember the pin outs are different on the mpx200 compaired to normal headphones) or how good

was your soldering? all these things will affect the quality

of the sound.

Guest _Drake_
I just made an adaptor from 2,5" to 3,5" connector and connected my headphones to MPx200. I'm really disappointed with the sound quality when playing MP3. I found Motorola is producing One Touch Headset HS525 for listening to MP3 music. Is it any better with these headphones or it is just usual crap that mobile manufacturers provide?

the mids are ok but there is almost no bass, and the treble is not good either.

anways the sound quality is quit poor, but than again it aint an dedicated mp3 player. however sound can be much much worser than this and it's better than nothing.

Guest greenwood
Did you get the pin outs correct on the adaptor (remember the pin outs are different on the mpx200 compaired to normal headphones) or how good

was your soldering? all these things will affect the quality

of the sound.

Sure. I've tried every possibility and this one was the only one that worked fine. I'm quite experienced in soldering.

Guest greenwood
the mids are ok but there is almost no bass, and the treble is not good either.

anways the sound quality  is quit poor, but than again it aint an dedicated mp3 player. however  sound can be much much worser than this and it's better than nothing.

I have same feelings about the sound. It's quite disappointing after I've upgraded from SPV.

Guest peterling

i think the output headphones just only mono quality is not for stereo quality... the mean the quality no have bass and treble just normal or center (1khz)sound....

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mixmaster_T

Does anybody know what the actual pinout is for the headphone jack? - Real keen to make a handsfree car kit and would be more than willing to post a schematic if i can get the details on how to connect it to the phone

Guest aussiempx200

You can get stereo out of the connector, I made a cable to hook up to my head unit, it's got line in. However, sound quality is pretty average. I'll post the pinouts when I get a chance.

Guest mixmaster_T

Thanks, I was going to stick a standard 2.5mm stereo plug in there, but then i read that the pin out is different to the SPV in which case doing so could short either the left or right channel to gound resulting in possibly something bad - not sure what cos I don't know what protection it's got. If you could give the pin out from shaft to tip of all 4 contacts that would be great - i'm pretty sure they short the mic to ground for the answer button - makes sense since it would be an electret mic so would have a voltage to read high or low

Guest wtbwts

I bought the Motorola stereo headset with a fm tuner -.

only one track has the sound. Similarly puchased a adapter from 2.5 to 3.5, same problem. any suggestion?

Guest Nikhil

The MPx200 is generally poor for music...in particular, the lack of bass is significant, especially in comparison to the i-mate SP2/E200. Having owned both, the E200's music playback quality is much better. The best I've heard from the MPx200 is using BetaPlayer and configuring the EQ to match PocketMusic's Headphone setting. Still lacks bass though.

Guest mixmaster_T
The MPx200 is generally poor for music...

yeah might very well be the case - after all it is a phone, not a $10k receiver, but if i can get the pinout of the jack, i'm hoping to design a minature preamp that runs off a couple of AA batteries, since i imagine a lot of the quality problem comes down to drawing too much power off the poor thing, by showing it a real headphone as a load instead of a mobile phone "headphone". If i make a preamp then i can adjust the eq with that and also play around with limiting the mpx output to say half volume at which point it may have a better response anyway - just really quiet.

Guest mixmaster_T
I hope you'll post these preamp schematics here. I'd like to build such preamp too  :P

I'd be glad to - i'll even provide a pcb layout if i can find the pinouts for the damn phone. Another problem is i also can't seem to find anywhere that i can get a 4 pole 2.5mm jack plug - thinking i'm gonna have to spend out large and get a nokia headset and use the plug off that. once i manage to get a plug, hopefully i'll be able to figure the pinout myself with a scope, but if anyone does have the pinout it'd save me a bit of hassle

Guest greenwood
I'd be glad to - i'll even provide a pcb layout if i can find the pinouts for the damn phone. Another problem is i also can't seem to find anywhere that i can get a 4 pole 2.5mm jack plug - thinking i'm gonna have to spend out large and get a nokia headset and use the plug off that. once i manage to get a plug, hopefully i'll be able to figure the pinout myself with a scope, but if anyone does have the pinout it'd save me a bit of hassle

I got 2.5" 4 pole connector for my adaptor this way. I bought the cheapest nokia headset and it cut it off.

Guest m1.carson

An idea I've used on an E100 and now the MPx200, forget about the four way connector at the phone socket, cut the cable above the answering button, that way you only have live left and right and earth, buy an in-line 3.5 socket from Maplins, then any 3.5 headphones will work.

I also used a 10mm foldback clip [bulldog clip] tie wrapped to the socket to take the weight off the joints and clip it to your jacket/shirt, and can then answer the phone normally.

The conductors are insulated with varnish and have strengthening fibres mixed in with them cut as much of the fibre away as possible,but the conductors still take some scraping and heating to tin them.

My question is , is it possible to adjust the in-call volume separately to Windows media volume,when I get a call my eyeballs come out on stalks ?

It sounds as though some of you need more efficient headphones, unfortunatly mine came from RIO player without a label on and they don't sell that type anymore, I can only describe the type, they sit over the head with the speakers in the ear facing forward, ER, 90 degrees to normal cans.

Guest mixmaster_T

GRRRRRR!!!! i can't find a 2.5mm 4 pole plug anywhere, so i'm gonna look today for a cheap nokia headset to butcher. Does anyone else think that Motorola are a bunch of idiots for their choice of pinout?? What was wrong with simply left, right, mic, ground?? that way if you couldn't find a 2.5mm 4 pole plug (which i'm pretty sure you can't in at least 90% of the world) then you could at least hookup 2.5mm stereo headphones and not only get a stereo output, but also not short the right channel in the process!! - Just let me at the moron who had this bright idea!!!!

Guest greenwood

I was surprised same as you. It worked this way on SPV. I think they want everyone to buy their accessories only. Quite funny because in my country they have none in stock and you have to wait more than two months sometimes. Next disappointment will be the quality of MPx200 sound output :x

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Osiris

Awesome ive been wondering about this

so basically what are my options if I want to use a headphone device to listen to music on the mpx?

Do I have to go buy a handsfree set?

or can actual headphones be used?

Im not too fussed about sound quality as I accept that its a phone, but if I go out and buy a pair of regular headphones will they work on it? Or do I need some Motorola device to do this?

If you could fill me in, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Guest oledirty

i just got my mpx200 last week and have been looking into getting headphones for music listening too.

you need to get either a hands-free headset or a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter. you can buy a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter at radioshack, but it would stick out 3 inches from the phone if i put it in.

[url=http://pc-mobile.net/mpx200.htm]PC-Mobile from hong kong[/url ] (i know they've been mentioned before, 'cause i obviously found out here!) sells some things you might find to your liking... i did, i'm going to order some stuff as soon as stupid paypal will validate my email address

Guest mmystery

Ok, to buy a regular headphones with a 2.5mm jack, will have a result of mono sound, when connected to the MPX200. the same is if you buy the Motorola Radio handset. you will hear mono sound again.

personally, i bought the original headphones-handsfree specifically designed for the mpx200, and i have stereo sound on the mp3's. The only negative thing is that there isn't any bass in the sound, so it could sound a bit strange, but i think the sound quality is quite good after all.....

mmystery