Sega GG + Nintendo GameBoy emulator for SP beta test

Guest bitbank

Guest wdehaas

High thnx for this new effort to emulate a console. This is the first time sound work great on a decent speed. Only problem I got is that the gameboy color game are not working. It only shows a black screen. Can u tell me what I do wrong?

Guest agent.m
agent.m,

The code in SmartGear already emulates the MasterSystem perfectly.  The problem is the screen size.  Shrinking the MS games to be viewable on the phone will make them look kind of crappy.  Mostly the same titles are available for GG and MS, so I figured there is no need to do MS and have to shrink the image.  Opinions? Are there unique MS games that make it worth seeing a shrunken image?

L.B.

yeah! Ill let you know in through the proper channels. But I bet most people can guess :wink:

Guest bitbank

You'll have to excuse me for a couple of days (traveling tomorrow). I will add screen shrink for the MasterSystem code and try to toss the NES in there as well. Check back on Monday.

Larry B.

eep, sorry for the small text last time-- just messing around with the switches. But seriously, BitBank made a heck of an effort with this one; even adding NES support. I wonder if he could just toss in a Spectrum/a2600 emu so we won't be needing any more clutter programs-- an all in one package! Oh, yeah-- where do we report bugs? I noticed that the keypad sound turns back to "Tone" (I had it on silent) when I run the Emu...

Guest gravity

If I were you I wouldn't include any gameboy emulator in that package. Nintendo have been known to crack down on commercial gameboy emulators thanks to their recent patent. They obviously won't win in court, but they will drag out the legal battle until you're bankrupt. GG/MS emulators sound great though.

Guest bitbank

I've done some work on GameBoy performance and placed the new code in the same spot:

http://www.bitbanksoftware.com/downloads/smartgear.zip

The new code should run everything at full speed on a 132Mhz ARM. Please let me know of any games which do not work properly or run too slowly (clicking noise).

The MasterGear and NES shrunken mode are coming next...

Send comments to [email protected]

Guest bitbank

Thenet,

If all goes well, hopefully I can begin selling this product by the end of the month. The reason for the name "SmartGear" is because I am working on a partnership with MorphGear. We are planning on redoing many of his emulators and dramatically lowering the prices. The goal is to have a SmartPhone, Pocket PC and Desktop PC version of everything available. Not sure if we are going to sell all the platforms together or separately, but certainly the price will be significantly reduced. It will take lots of time to integrate everything, but the SmartGear product should be the first to be ready.

Larry B.

Guest Coolbox

would it be possible to buy af version now with no time limit with the rights to download the final version when you release it?

Please :P

I cant play the games with the other emulators so I cant wait to use smartgear.... :D

Guest dnavarro77

Does this emulator support Landscape modes? If not is that an option that is coming? It sounds very cool, but landscape is what I game in.

D

Guest durk1482

Whoa this emulator is good.

You asked for bugs. Well i found at least one, at some gameboy games. When you play Zelda: Oracle of Ages or the similar zelda, the music plays way to fast and sounds cracky. Similar in the overworld of Mario Land 2. I've only tested one gamegear game: Sonic and Tales. It plays perfect :P

BTW, why would you want landscape mode? The screens are rectangular and fit in the regular screen mode...

Guest dnavarro77

In landscape, I much prefer the "control" pad and screen (at my left). My hands are to big for using the controller when not in landscape. I don't mind the stretching of landscape. In fact the NES/Genesis/SNES emulators out now all look great in this mode.

D

Guest mugenakuma

So far all the games I have tried run great except for some sound stuttering.

Recently I tried a gameboy color game that had constant stuttering sound during gameplay.

Keep up the good work and let us know when it is available for purchase please :P

Guest bitbank

I'm glad most games are working correctly. Please specify in a note to me ([email protected]) which specific games have stuttering sound or other problems.

Allowing rotation of the display is not going to be a problem to code, but it will impact performance. Writing to the display in the "wrong" direction causes more cache hits and impacts performance.

L.B.

Guest rcperez

a few more considerations:

- file association would be nice, so that you could link your favorite ROM on the start menu.

- LED light during gameplay should be persistent.

- support for multigames ROM (e.g. 50 in 1)

- Able to go out of the emulator and back again (for checking sms or calls without quiting the loaded game)

Guest bitbank

rcperez,

Thanks for the suggestions. There is already a good way to exit a game and jump back in (autoload). Right now if the focus is taken away by a call, the game should pause. If it is not doing that, please let me know.

Not sure you are aware, but there is no need to unzip the games, SmartGear can open zip files directly. When I create the installer, I will add the ability to do file associations, but for me, this doesn't really make sense because I keep all of the games in zip files and associating them would not necessarily be what you want.

I did not put the "LED light" persistent during gameplay because of the poor battery life I am seeing on my MPx200. I have just added this as a checkbox option in the settings page. I will release a new build with it shortly.

All games should work. If something does not work correctly please send me the necessary info to track it down and debug it (e.g. bug encountered, platform, game name).

L.B.

err-- I was wondering if anyone else got this bug: I always set the keypad tones to "silent" but when I run SmartGear, the keypad tone changes back to "tone." I'm using an SPVE100, Bitbank...