Sega GG + Nintendo GameBoy emulator for SP beta test

Guest bitbank

Guest bitbank
I'll check it out thanks. I thought I had the latest version w/ 1.0.4. I got it from the site. I'll look into it though.

Can anyone tell me if post 1065 is newer than the version i have?

Thanks

Geeve

I'm preparing a release candidate and will post it tomorrow. I've got Genesis working again with sound, but the performance of the sound engine is not great.

And it's LB, not LC :(

Guest tgwaste
I'm preparing a release candidate and will post it tomorrow. I've got Genesis working again with sound, but the performance of the sound engine is not great.

whoops, sorry. posts edited B)

Guest geeve420

Awsome, will this fix the scroll issue in the settings? I had a Genesis rom running but it was bigger than my screen. This SQVGA kills me B) , but once again Nes and GB work flawlessly and thank you so much for your hard work

Thanks,

Geeve

Guest tgwaste
Awsome, will this fix the scroll issue in the settings? I had a Genesis rom running but it was bigger than my screen. This SQVGA kills me :( , but once again Nes and GB work flawlessly and thank you so much for your hard work

Thanks,

Geeve

I already told you how to fix that.. go get the newest version in the post # i gave you. 1.0.4. is old.

Guest geeve420
I already told you how to fix that.. go get the newest version in the post # i gave you. 1.0.4. is old.

I understand that, what I was asking was if this new one he is going to post will roll that into it as well, cause as you stated it breaks Genesis, which is were the setting is the issue. Nes and GB run fine and fit my screen. I was just trying to do one update to fix it all. I do appreciate you though, didn't mean to stir the pot.

Thanks

Geeve

Edited by geeve420

Guest tgwaste
I understand that, what I was asking was if this new one he is going to post will roll that into it as well, cause as you stated it breaks Genesis, which is were the setting is the issue. Nes and GB run fine and fit my screen. I was just trying to do one update to fix it all. I do appreciate you though, didn't mean to stir the pot.

Thanks

Geeve

well the genesis issue and the issue with the settings scroller are two different issues.

the settings are fixed from the one post # forward (they will be fixed in the new version hes posts soon as well as im sure he didnt alter this part of the code).

the genesis issue is with gameplay itself (i believe) which will be improved in the next update (im guessing :().

so yes you can just wait for the next update or you can download the previous one to see all the new features and test the video settings (just for grins).

up to you.

Guest geeve420
well the genesis issue and the issue with the settings scroller are two different issues.

the settings are fixed from the one post # forward (they will be fixed in the new version hes posts soon as well as im sure he didnt alter this part of the code).

the genesis issue is with gameplay itself (i believe) which will be improved in the next update (im guessing :( ).

so yes you can just wait for the next update or you can download the previous one to see all the new features and test the video settings (just for grins).

up to you.

Just did. I do like the load screen where it gives the little screenies of the games you had played, very nice and easy to use. Good feature.

Thanks

Geeve

I recently registered this program this week and love it thus far..

I use the HTC Touch (Vogue/Elfin) and have been satisfied with the performance of this software. As far as my input, I would not mind having the option to either have a skinned controler for remapping keys (such as per your Post #1069) or even just the option to remap the touchscreen areas all together (for possible full tuchscreen usage?!)

Maybe a 9-quadrant that we might be able to remap ourselves?: (After much thought, I would rather have the skinned controller over this option)

-------------------------------

| Pause | Up | Start |

| Left | Down | Right |

| A | B | C |

Also, would anyone happen to know if the ROMs themselves are read only? I have had to use the save slots on the software to save progress in a game (ex: dragon warrior on GBC) because when I save in game and then reload the ROM, the rom is clean with no savedata.

Thank you,

Jei

Guest bitbank

Ready to go...

Attached is the release candidate for SmartPhone and PPC (no installer; copy and run). Please let me know of any problems. The SNES and Genesis code is enabled (with sound). The SNES code is in rough shape, so please don't bother reporting bugs. I'm looking for problems with display scaling, button input, etc.

Thanks,

L.B.

smartgear.zip

Guest tgwaste
Ready to go...

Attached is the release candidate for SmartPhone and PPC (no installer; copy and run). Please let me know of any problems. The SNES and Genesis code is enabled (with sound). The SNES code is in rough shape, so please don't bother reporting bugs. I'm looking for problems with display scaling, button input, etc.

Thanks,

L.B.

first thing i noticed was that fit-to-screen is now broke for all consoles :( it shows some colors and stripes and such but no coherent picture. best i can get to work is the 100% setting. 150% seems to act like %100.

on that setting though the games seem to be working fine.

snes seems to play decently actually. save crashes the application though. (i figured a crash event would be something you would want to know about)

tried a few genesis games and the sound seems fine.

Guest geeve420
Ready to go...

Thanks,

L.B.

on the roms I have tried so far Genesis is working great. I am having no trouble with screen size setting. TG16 just straight crashes when trying to load a rom, I have tried just a few so it could be the roms. Nes still pauses and exits kinda sloppy, leaving the task bar with a couple of lines in it. However Genesis pauses and exits perfectly(edit I am no longer having sound issues, I had another program running that was messing me up).

One more edit: I just tested Sega Game gear and all is good there. I tried about 10 TG16 roms all cause immediate crashes.

Thanks

Geeve

Edited by geeve420

Hi I guess I just realized this thread existed. I've had SmartGear for quite awhile now. There is a pretty major problem with the newer versions on my Morotora q9m. I haven't tried a new version in awhile, but as far as I can tell no fixes have been made with the issue? The older version had some quirks to get controls, etc set right and so it isn't so fun to reinstall that if I took it off to try a new version.

I had to find an older version to have a decently working version on my phone. It has been a long time since I tried the new version, but I believe the problem was no matter what keys I had set, if I hit them and then release them the button stays stuck until I pressed it again. It was not playable. I think every key would report as a "bad" key when I set them.

It seems clear the problem was a result of this fix "I''ve also added support for misbehaving hardware buttons. I'm very pleased with the way the "odd" button handling works." in 1.0.1. I had e-mailed details a long time ago (I would guess almost a year ago) but don't think it was fixed. I think an option to enable or disable the "odd" button fix would resolve the problem. I'd really like to be able to upgrade to a newer version.

Thanks.

Edited by aem22

Guest bitbank
Hi I guess I just realized this thread existed. I've had SmartGear for quite awhile now. There is a pretty major problem with the newer versions on my Morotora q9m. I haven't tried a new version in awhile, but as far as I can tell no fixes have been made with the issue? The older version had some quirks to get controls, etc set right and so it isn't so fun to reinstall that if I took it off to try a new version.

I had to find an older version to have a decently working version on my phone. It has been a long time since I tried the new version, but I believe the problem was no matter what keys I had set, if I hit them and then release them the button stays stuck until I pressed it again. It was not playable.

It seems clear the problem was a result of this fix "I''ve also added support for misbehaving hardware buttons. I'm very pleased with the way the "odd" button handling works." in 1.0.1. I had e-mailed details a long time ago (I would guess almost a year ago) but don't think it was fixed. I think an option to enable or disable the "odd" button fix would resolve the problem. I'd really like to be able to upgrade to a newer version.

Thanks.

I have a Q9h and hopefully will be able to recreate this issue.

For everyone else who is reporting bugs, please provide enough details for me to work e.g. "TG16 crashes on everything" is not terribly useful. Obviously it doesn't crash when I tested it, so I need the following details:

1) The device you are using

2) All of the relevant settings (e.g. video size, sound on/off)

3) The specific game you tried

4) The device orientation (e.g. keyboard open / closed)

Thanks,

L.B.

Guest tgwaste

For everyone else who is reporting bugs, please provide enough details for me to work e.g. "TG16 crashes on everything" is not terribly useful. Obviously it doesn't crash when I tested it, so I need the following details:

Thanks,

L.B.

sorry..

1> treo pro (320x320 screen)

2> sound on, trying fit-to-win (both '*' and non '*' not sure what the '*' means)

3> all games broke on all consoles

4> device doesnt have diff orientations.

here is a link to a video you can watch of the problem.

http://www.twg.org/smartgear/video.avi

:(

Edited by tgwaste

Guest geeve420

Thanks,

L.B.

Sorry about that: This is for the TG16

1) Device - Treo 750 w/ WM6 (240x240 screen)

2) settings - Tried all video settings and audio on off

3)Games - Rtype, Stratego, 1941, Columns, Galaga, Operation wolf, there are few more but can't look just yet.

4) Orientation - keyborad on the front of device (Doesn't have different orientation)

When I go to load rom and hit done the screen goes black and then right to the today screen. It doesn't list the game as played on the main screen of Smartgear (Where you have the Screenies of previous games). Sorry again for the lack of details :(

Thanks

Geeve

Edited by geeve420

Guest mikeeey

It seems you have switched 150% and Fit2Win*? as the quality of 150% doesn't look good, but Fit2Win now looks great like 150% did.

Also, how come the Genesis sound is a lower pitch? (atleast with Sonic the Hedgehog and Knuckles 3).

great job tho!

Guest tgwaste

another note on my screen issue.

if I set rotate to 90 and use fit-to-win it works and looks good, course the screen is rotated then.

its only on normal '0' orientation does fit-to-win not work.

prolly my dumb 320x320 screen causing problems with the software again :(

Guest Torrast

1) The device you are using - HTC Fuze (Touch Pro)

2) All of the relevant settings (e.g. video size, sound on/off) - I have tried this with Fit2win, * and 150% display modes (the rest are too small to see details on using my phone), tried with and without frameskip and throttling to 60fps, both with an without sound.

3) The specific game you tried - Final Fantasy Legend 1 & 3 for Gameboy, Final Fantasy and Super Mario Brothers 2 for NES, Phantasy Star 2 & 4 for Genesis.

4) The device orientation (e.g. keyboard open / closed) - This is with the device keyboard out, with the "0" orientation, using only keyboard input.

The vertical "tearing" effect still persists, so this must be unrelated to the display wraparound issue you mentioned previously. This happens in all of the above listed games, no matter what settings I tried, and only happens when the screen is scrolling, such as when navigating an overworld map. I tried getting a screenshot, but the issue goes away when movement stops, so the screenshots always come out perfect, even if the screen was going to hell a moment beforehand. Speaking of screenshots, binding the screenshot command to the "-" button on the keyboard (key on the extreme upper right) does not appear to work, but its easy enough to just remap the SS function to another place. While I didn't think it could be any way related, I also tested it with and without the Diamond ati d3d driver installed, just in case. The driver had zero effect, which makes sense because of the lack of any 3d action going on.

I also noticed that FFL for the Gameboy is especially buggy compared to the last build, as the characters no longer "pace" in the overworld/town setting, and the character sprites (both player character and all NPC characters) do not scroll smoothly along with the background. Also, at times, attempting to load Genesis games results in crashing the program, whereas other times it works fine. This does not seem to be affected by any combination of settings I can identify. There also appears to be just a bit of scratchiness in the Genesis audio, but turning on stereo sounds appears to provide some improvement over mono mode.

While not necessarily a "bug" about the SNES support, I find that Smartgear does not recognize SNES rom file types (*.smc), as it does not see them in my file folder. Very odd!

Overall, the controls are still great and the sound support is superb; it's just the display issues that are holding back the overall performance of Smartgear. Hopefully you find this feedback useful :(

Guest mikeeey
While not necessarily a "bug" about the SNES support, I find that Smartgear does not recognize SNES rom file types (*.smc), as it does not see them in my file folder. Very odd!

useful :(

I noticed this as well, all you need to do is put it in a .zip and it will work.

Guest TITAN-23

1) I am using a Kaiser

2) video is 100%, sound is on lowest possible quality

3) "Double Dragon" Sega Genesis/Megadrive rom crashes Smartgear.

4) Keyboard open

I would love to play this on Smartgear.

Guest tgwaste
1) I am using a Kaiser

2) video is 100%, sound is on lowest possible quality

3) "Double Dragon" Sega Genesis/Megadrive rom crashes Smartgear.

4) Keyboard open

I would love to play this on Smartgear.

confirmed.. double dragon does indeed crash it. dd 3 and 4 work though :(

punch out still gives me a unknown mapper #73 issue to B)

Guest hockeyfan
Hi Mikeeey,

I believe the sound bug is not a sound bug, but a timing bug on the MSM7200 CPU. Unfortunately I am stuck with my Touch Dual which won't allow me to debug. I'm looking around for another MSM7200 device that won't cost me a fortune so that I can debug and fix this issue. I'll keep you posted.

L.B.

Hi LB,

I'm still experiencing the same skipping/chopping sound bug on my ATT-branded HTC Fuze (Touch Pro), regardless of which game or system I am using. I've tried all sound settings and nothing seems to eliminate this sound bug.

2) video is on FitToWidth* (but video settings do not seem to make a difference in terms of this sound bug)

3) NES Tetris and Genesis Might and Magic 2: Gates to Another World (downloaded from here, in case you want to try it out yourself)

4) keyboard open

Hopefully, you can track down and squash this bug. :(

Thanks!

Guest PolloLoco

On my Sprint Touch Pro - turbografx games work just as well as before. I'm not sure about the complaints above, where someone failed with multiple roms. I tried 6 of my favorites and they worked great. I was using 150% and fit2win*

Genesis is sweet to play with sound, but I notice a little more frameskipping than with pico drive. Overall, I'm happy about it though.

SNES - I was unable to get most games past the initial load screens. Castlevania X, however got a little further, and the main game seemed to actually play - but for some reason the bottom half of the screen was blacked out, therefore unplayable. :-) However, the initial results make me optimistic for the future.

Great update Larry.

Guest bitbank

Thank you to everyone for the bug reports. I'll try to reserve some time to do some bug fixes tonight.

I came up with another idea for the on-screen controls that you might like. How about a translucent diagram with arrows and buttons (thin outlines in black+white)? This way you can run your games fullscreen and still see the controls without interfering with the game display. This would make it easier to support all of the different display resolutions and orientations.

Thoughts?

L.B.