Metrofone - A Smartphone Metronome

Guest Palindrome

Guest Palindrome

Metrofone is a simple metronome for use on Windows Smartphone 2003.

Features include:

Beats per minute click and flash.

Accent on first beat of each bar.

Any number of beats per bar.

Tuning note (A - 440Hz).

Instructions:

-Choose the BPM (beats per minute) and the number of beats in each bar (if you choose 0 or 1 the first beat will not be accented).

-Press On to start.

-Whilst Metrofone is ticking away you can use UP/DOWN on the joystick to alter the BPM and LEFT/RIGHT to change the number of beats in each bar.

-To change volume use the handset's volume on the side of the phone.

The app works fine on my E200 (with the new update) but use at your own risk. :P

metrofone_1.0.CAB

Metrofone_Screenshot.jpg

Guest drblow

Quality!! :D

What a great idea for the musician with dodgy timing!! Excellent app m8! With this & echo recorder, all I need is a smartphone sequencer & I've got a mobile studio!! :P

Guest Palindrome

Hehe, Cubase on a Smartphone. I would just feel sorry for my phone's CPU with all the SD card recording and realtime effects processing. :P Some sort of music sequencing software would be interesting though, something like the old Amiga Trackers (anyone remember Octamed and FastTracker?)

I'll see what I can do with converting it to 2002 after I've completed my next project and/or added any new features to Metrofone.

Guest Toyota-F1.com
what is a metronome used for?

Good question, I thoguth it was a heart rate thing when I noticed the letters BPM, but then I saw everybody talking about music and stuff so I don't know what it's for.

Guest blewer

Also as a personal trainer doing various fitness tests.

I tend to do a step test with people where they need to step up at a certain amount of steps per minute.

Very usefull for keeping time :P

Guest drblow

There is an A note to tune to included in this app!! :P

@ Palindrome - it was something like fasttracker I was thinking about! I know its probably unfeasible, but it would be fun to have a little midi sequencer! There was a version of cubase for pocket PC, but I would seriously doubt whether it was worth much.

Guest SMYKUL

LOL, octamed, before my time, ive still got it set up on an amiga 1200 in my bedroom (i got it off my uncle years ago, still can't use it, just play songs on it) would be pretty sweet for sp tho...

Guest Palindrome

I've also got my Amiga 1200 in a cupboard in my folk's house. I'm hoping it may be worth some money as an antique in many years to come. It had to be the best computer for it's time (or at least better than the Atari :wink: ).

A Fasttracker type app would be great fun and a tuner would be extremely useful. Sadly, I'd say they're out of my programming league for the time being. Perhaps some of the more skilled MoDaCo developers might like to try their hand at them?

I could probably whip up a smartphone piano, though what practical use it would have if beyond me. :P

Guest Simon Desser

@ Palindrome - Nice app :P

How accurate is it? It seems to start off ok, but then run a bit slow? (I could be wrong though?)

I think a cool feature to add could be where you tap a button in time with the music, and it works out the BPM. That would be useful for DJs :D

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest Simon Desser

How accurate is it? It seems to start off ok, but then run a bit slow? (I could be wrong though?)

I think a cool feature to add could be where you tap a button in time with the music, and it works out the BPM. That would be useful for DJs :D

Guest Simon Desser

Guest Palindrome

That's a great idea! I'll get back on the case with Metrofone as soon as I've finished my current project, hopefully by Friday. I'll also have a look to see if it is in fact slowing down. I'll replace the timing functions with a more reliable method in any case.

Guest Palindrome

Don't know about 5 octaves. I'll want to use good quality samples but keep the file size down to a resonable level...... Oh, go on then, I'll add it to the list. :P It would be fun.

• 1 month later...

Palindrome, you are a f...... genious :) This is just what I've been waiting for. The metronome is excellent. The idea about tap-entry of bpm is good but isn't that a bit difficult?

Personally, if I should come up with some suggestion, it would be about the tuning note (tuner) part. I don't know if there's is a tuner prog for the SPV, but it would surely be nice to have incorporated with the metrofone. I'm sure you know all the different functions a tuner can have, but the thing I'm most interested in, is to be able to choose another note. To be more precise, I'm playing the trumpet and the best note for the trumpet to tune with is Bb (can't remember the Mhz but it's just above 440). I can imagine that this is easier than to make than some kind of sound-input-analyze, but still much to ask for a hardworking programmer as you :-)

Yours gratefull Jesper Vejling

Guest barrybryce

Excellent app and a work of pure genius - thanks!

One thing I'm wondering, along the line of previous suggestions... Would it be possible to create options for tuning notes, so that the less musically minded could for example have all four strings on a violin or viola?