Pauls C500 Review - Updated 12/08 23:45

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest refnulf

Bah, where's my mpx... can't believe I'm gonna have to wait for another 3-5 months for it...

dang the c500, i cant stand the look of it... why couldn't it have looked different :P I wouldn't have had a problem buying it then...

Guest www.msmobiles.com
dang the c500, i cant stand the look of it... why couldn't it have looked different :P I wouldn't have had a problem buying it then...

I don't like looks of C500 too, and I don't like the cursor keys in it too.

What a pity that MPx220 will be available in 2nd half of September2004 - Motorola will lose a lot of market share due to C500...

Guest MPXtricky

One of the joys of having my MPX200 is that I have a homescreen which looks just how I want (user-written plugins, XML etc.). Does the C500 allow personalisation as per the MPX200 and for us to load our own software etc.?

Guest midnight

all the MS Smatrphones are essentially the same homescreen/plugins/software wise, so the mpx200 is no different to the spv/e100/e200/c500 regarding homescreens (just a few discrepancies in the built in plugins is all really)

Guest doyle_am

Spoke to my local Orange Retail this morning and they had stock of 1 C500.

Kindly offered to take it off their hands and they didn't say no. So I'm sat here with my shiny new black model.

Screw waiting for the 18th :P

Guest MPXtricky
all the MS Smatrphones are essentially the same homescreen/http://smartphone.modaco.com/viewtopic.php?t=714>plugins/software wise, so the mpx200 is no different to the spv/e100/e200/c500 regarding http://smartphone.modaco.com/viewforum.php?f=43>homescreens (just a few discrepancies in the built in http://smartphone.modaco.com/viewtopic.php?t=714>plugins is all really)

...that's just what I wanted to hear - ACE!

Guest Xenzo1990

Ive got one more bill before im able to upgrade for free. I will be out in about 3 weeks. Do you guys think I will be able to get one or will the demand be very high and they will be sold out. I know when i got my first spv i had to order from the main warehouse, and that was 3 months after it launched.

Guest blade001

Nice review. Just been the local orange shop to play with the phone. And I have gotta tell you, IT'S BLOODY AMAZING. Noticebly fast compared with E200 and the SPV original (That's the only two MS SmartPhone I have owned, So I can not compare with anyothers then these 2 :P). As paul said hte keypad takes a little bit getting used to. Apart from that it's great. The camera was really smooth. Orange home screen plugin is not bad eitehr. Over all IT'S AMAZING. My local shop not going to have any in stock till end of next week, so I will have wait till then. But I think I will go in and check out the stores in birmingham next week. They should have it by then.

Guest Xenzo1990

Guys i really reccomend carphonewarehouse lifeline insurance, you can cancel your contract free after 3 months. Its rocks, thats what i'm doing. But carphone will only have stock on the 26th. Damn. Oh well.

Guest kevlar
Guys i really reccomend carphonewarehouse lifeline insurance, you can cancel your contract free after 3 months

Wow, I just checked out their insurance and that does appear to be true. I wonder how that works? surely your contract is with Orange ( for instance ), what's in it for them to let you out of a contract after only 3 months? there has to be a catch, you can't keep getting an up to date and therefore very expensive phone every 3 months for the £8/month insurance fee surely?

Kevlar

Guest Xenzo1990

Ive cancelled before, they just take your mobby, and then take it down to a £10 a month price plan. They only insure phones they sell though. You can only make 1 claim in the liftime of the policy, so I cancel the contract and policy, and restart all new. Total orange ownage lmao.

Guest pug206

the c500 will be my first smartphone so im in 4 a good phone than hay it will take some gettong used to i think lol as it got a radio built on i heard it has

Guest steve0984

Went in the Orange Shop in Clifton (Bristol) this morning, had a look at their demo machine, ordered my (free) upgrade on the spot... should have it by the weekend.

Guest squall

Paul.

any chance you could to a little experiment and measure the times it takes to write a largish file to the sd card via the phone, and repeat file transfer via card reader and post the results?

Im wondering how quick the usb connection will be :P

Guest Samsonite

Carphone Warehouse Lifleline is about 30 quid a quarter and does indeed cover you for getting out of your contract. It has got an element of shop/manager discretion and they can decide not to let you 'claim' and escape if all you are going to do is churn yourself and stay in network. O wouldnt smile on them for doing this as the original phone subsidy wouldnt have been paid back. The usual get out clause fom CPW is if you dont return ALL of the original equipment in A1 condition... no manual? no claim... no box? no claim... teenytiny scratch? no claim... you get the idea..

They are often quite cool about letting you do this if you are coming over from a different network as you would be seen as a new customer and the retailer gets a healthy sub upon new connection.... not alot of use if you are an E200 on Orange and crying out for the new kid on the block - i want a silver C500 but have only had my E200 for about 6 weeks now...

Guest dave78

Hi,

I've got an original SPV and am looking at upgrading.. Please can you tell me if you can now send a contact via SMS message? If so, does it just send the number in a text or will it send vCards?

Thankyou!

Dave

Guest mavisdavis

I'm NOT gonna bother upgrade I'm waiting till my contract runs out. If this is the result just 8 months after the E200 arrival can you imagine whats round the next 8 month corner?I've rushed out and got every new model thats hit the market (yes EVERY MSSmartphone) so I'm quite happy with my E200 at the moment.Got my satnav running. got used the the game pad issue.unless I win one of these little things i'm not getting to excited at moment.Posted from my SmartPhone on the balcony in IBIZA!

Guest MaximilianWeisheit
...Posted from my SmartPhone on the balcony in IBIZA!

thanks for putting a smile on face on this sad and boring mon/workday

:P

Guest Xenzo1990
Carphone Warehouse Lifleline is about 30 quid a quarter and does indeed cover you for getting out of your contract.  It has got an element of shop/manager discretion and they can decide not to let you 'claim' and escape if all you are going to do is churn yourself and stay in network.   O wouldnt smile on them for doing this as the original phone subsidy wouldnt have been paid back.   The usual get out clause fom CPW is if you dont return ALL of the original equipment in A1 condition...  no manual?  no claim...   no box?  no claim...   teenytiny scratch?  no claim...  you get the idea..

They are often quite cool about letting you do this if you are coming over from a different network as you would be seen as a new customer and the retailer gets a healthy sub upon new connection....   not alot of use if you are an E200 on Orange and crying out for the new kid on the block -  i want a silver C500 but have only had my E200 for about 6 weeks now...

Actually, in the policy, they HAVE to allow you to cancel, the policy says you can, they do not have descretion over the choise. There is a term for it, and they ring up orange and say they wanna do a blah blah blah. And in reply to the, no scratch no claim etc, the guy never even checked that the phone was in the box LOL

Guest Samsonite

Xenzo1990 - nice one!! in my experience, they have been pretty tough when it comes to a churn claim. the networks dont like retailers squeezing them for new connection subs for no good reason... It is an insurance claim you make and i was definetely under the impression that the insurer is under no obligation to accept the claim.

I have worked for a major mobile retail chain in the past and it was a no-no to churn people around...

I always like to hear when it goes the customer way tho!!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.