Movies on the C500... WOW

Guest simonbratt99

Guest shadamehr

From their website:

Latest stable version - 0.04

Latest unstable version - 0.092

Aha... I think I might download the UNstable version, as the STABLE version seems to be UNstable for me

;-)

Guest Malt_Vinegar

I just use windows media encoder, and select pocket PC options.

Voila, videos that play full speed, full screen, no skipping, and decent file sizes. I can get 700meg divxs down to 120meg odd :)

Guest shadamehr
I just use windows media encoder, and select pocket PC options.

Voila, videos that play full speed, full screen, no skipping, and decent file sizes. I can get 700meg divxs down to 120meg odd :)

If you use POCKET PC settings, that means that the image resolution is actually much bigger than that on a Smartphone screen.

Obviously the Player will reduce this down on the fly, but it means that for videos with text on screen, the text will be unreadable, whereas converting to the correct size makes it a bit more readable.

My BIGGEST question however, is this:

If you use Windows Media Player to play them back, how do you skip forwards and backwards through videos, especially long ones...

I didn't know WMP could do this on a Smartphone.

And if the answer is, as I suspect, you can't, then you've just realised WHY most of us use third party players...

I'd much prefer .wmv as the file format too.

But it's no use to me on long videos, if there is no skipping forward and backwards...

Guest martin
I'd much prefer .wmv as the file format too.  

But it's no use to me on long videos, if there is no skipping forward and backwards...

You can also play wmv files through betaplayer and use the forward and rewind as normal :wink: You only need to install the additional ASF plugin which you can find from http://betaplayer.corecodec.org :)

Guest Dr Who

That is the only downside to WMP that I can see. If I was wanting to watch a long movie I think I would code it out as one .wmv and then cut it into 15 minute sections using Windows Movie Maker. A bit of a fag, I admit.

Guest skanna

I got a problem with all this. I have managed to 'Rip' and dvd onto my hard rive, identify the required VOB files, but then what do I do? PocketDivXencoder will not load the VOB file. Do I have to convert them to AVI files first? I have used DVD Decryptor to decypt the files but i dont know what to do with the VOB files once they are on my hard drive. Can anyone help.

Guest martin

skanna

A MoDaCo member is presently writing up some new procedures for coding movies for smartphones but in the meantime I'll PM you some simple instructions that might help. It's very easy to do :wink:

Guest griff_dai

I used DVD to smartphone and have so far had the Matrix sequals on a 256mb card.

Must say its very easy to use, people I have shown it to cannot believe a mobile can do this sort of thing.

I have also downloaded a certain Abby Titmus video (nudge,nudge) and that has gone down a storm!

I love this phone, it is the dogs nuts!!!

Dai

Guest iainp999

hi chaps,

help!

I have created my own avi files as well as downloading the spiderman trailer from this site. However, when I try to view these files on my PC there is sound but no video.

Then, when I copy them to the storage card on my phone, windows media player does not "see" the file.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Iain

A fantastic tool to rip DVD's to either avi or mpg is DVDx (http://www.labdv.com/dvdx/) - this tool actually allows you to do a lot of tweaks and rip the perfect DVD movie for your smartphone - and it is free!

I have been using it for a while now - and it is producing excellent quality smartphone avi files.

I always create avi files - 220 x 176 using the following settings:

Input Settings: - mostly leave these alone, make sure if you have a PAL DVD to set the Output Frame Rate to 25.0 PAL

Output Settings:

AVI format

AVI specific settings:

Use Lame (Lame MP3 3.92 MMX)

96 Kb/s 44.1 KHz 16 bits Q5 sound quality

DivX 5.2.1 Codec (only pass 1 - set the bitrate to 192 kbps and standard encode performance)

Export Settings:

224 x 176

Zoom: Full (16:9 -> 4:3 input)

Resize: TAP Bilinear SSE2 (slow - but best quality)

Make sure you press the "Whole" button to encode the whole film

Expert Settings:

Mux Rate: 2 %

VBV Buffer Size: 20 KB

leave all the rest like it is.

These settings generate avi files of around 150-250 Mb - obviously you can pull down some of the tweaks and get smaller sizes - but that will decrease quality.

This is a quite a good utility - you have to experiement a bit with it - try only converting 5000 frames or so with different settings and see the result on your smartphone.

Note: I use BetaPlayer to view these files - an excellent player - and again free!

Note: the Media Info on the files generated this way looks something like:

Video Stream: DX50

Codec: MPEG4 DiVX/XViD

Video Size: 224 x 176

Frame Rate: 25.000

Audio Stream: 0055

Codec: LibMad MPEG Audio

Sample Rate: 44100 Hz

Channels: 2

Data Bit Rate: 96 kbit/s

This 2 hour and 4 minutes rip file (The Fugitive) is about 272 Mb - ofcourse, you can get it much smaller by playing with the settings bit. Note: I use a 512 Mb miniSD - so no problems there ^_^

Karel

Errmmm, doesn't appear to be free since you have to buy a pass to download it. If it is freeware does that mean someone can post the file here for download?

Guest ixus_123

Just ripped Spirited Away at 200x120 (black bars removed & preserving aspect ratio). File size came out a bit bigger than I expected at 196mb

I might have put the quality too high - I can double the size on my PC & it still has decent quality. Now that the novelty has gone though, I don't think I could sit through a whole film on the smartphone - unless perhaps I had a long wait in an airport or something.

I'm off to rip things that are shorter tha films - BBC's Blue Planet, & Michael Palins around the world series' should do the trick

Can someone tell me if there is a difference between a Dane Elec 512 mini sd card and Kingmax 512 mini sd card. I'm not sure is it beacause of the card, but when playing movies a lot of frames are lost. I tried all the files you posted here as 'good encoded test movies'.

I also noticed using pocket tv on my old E100 mpeg files play well, while doing this on my new C500 I get the same problem as with divx files I mentioned above.

Is it the transfer speed of the card? I'm using Dane Elec's card on E100 as well as on C500. Btw. wmv files play good on both phone's.

E100 >> 256 MB SD Card >> Pocket TV, DivX Player

C500 >> 512 MB mini SD Card >> Pocket TV, Beta Player

Is there anyone else using the same Dane Elec card?

You can also play wmv files through betaplayer and use the forward and rewind as normal :wink: You only need to install the additional ASF plugin which you can find from http://betaplayer.corecodec.org ^_^

I can't get this ASF plugin 0.92 to work on my C500... Betaplayer (unstable) either says it doesn't recognise file format, or after selecting file, shows ???.wmv at top of screen then imediatly quits...

Anyone else whitness this?

I am using Betaplayer 0.92 and the ASF plugin. The only WMV files I have tried were downloaded from smartphone sites (www.smartphone200.com was one of them) but these seem to play OK.

I think I just loaded the ASF pluging from the PC and then probably rebooted the phone. Can't think of anything else :?

Guest Maksymilian
A MoDaCo member is presently writing up some new procedures for coding movies for smartphones but in the meantime I'll PM you some simple instructions that might help.  It's very easy to do :wink:

This guide cant come quick enough for me. I am doing my nut in trying to understand how to use DVD Decryter and pocketDivxEncoder. :?

When I used PocketDivx I made sure that AVI was check but the resultant file on my desktop was classed as a video clip is this right?

[When I used PocketDivx I made sure that AVI was check but the resultant file on my desktop was classed as a video clip is this right?
Yes PocketDivXEncoder creates a video file with an AVI extension.

Here is a copy of the simple :wink: instructions that I PM'd to skanna which might help a bit.

First you need to extract the VOB files from DVD

1 Download DVD Decrytper from http://www.dvddecrypter.com/

2 Install and load up DVD decrypter on the PC and insert DVD

3 Goto Tools-Settings on Decrypter Menu bar, select IFO Mode tab and enable stream processing (click OK)

4 Goto Mode IFO on Decrypter menu bar

5 Click Input tab. You will see different VTS/PGC sections. One VTS section will contain a PGC which is the main film, has a lots of chapters and is approx a couple of hours long. Others VTS sections may contain PGC's which are short clips and trailers usually a few minutes long. Start by highlighting a PGC which is a short clip to get used to the coding procedure first. Alternatively if you want to select the PGC which is the main film then you can always untick many of the chapters to create a smaller test file.

6 Click Stream processing tab and ensure that 'enable stream processing' is ticked. You will generally only need the 0xE0-Video and 0x80 Audio options ticked.

7 Goto File-Decrypt and it will transfer the selected file to a directory on the PC as a VOB file.

Next you need to code the VOB files to AVI for smartphone.

1 Download and install PocketDivXEncoder from http://divx.ppccool.com/

2 Load PocketDivXEncoder

3 Click Advance options and then click smartphone ICON. This will use the smartphone default parameters. Tick any required options i.e Xvid and 2 pass encoding.

4 Click icon next to 'File to encode' then locate movie directory and open VOB file (note: only one VOB filename will show but it will represent the total number of chapters copied over.

5 Select Audio stream if prompted (usually select 128) and click 'validate this stream'

6 Set preferred Video and Audio quality, Brightness=(+30 is good) and Sound=(+60 is OK). Set output dimensions=220*176 which is the smartphone screen size.

7 You then have the option to crop some of the original film image, anything cropped will not be coded. This is useful for eliminating the dark bands above and below the actual movie. I crop the bands as I prefer to code for the full smartphone screen. After cropping you can untick the 'Resize automatically' option which will allow the movie to be scaled to the predefined output settings of 220*176 otherwise it will retain the aspect ratio and modify those output settings.

8 Press Direct encoding.

When it's finished encoding you can click 'Play an encoded file' and select the saved AVI file to see the results on the PC. Then just copy the file to the Smartphone SD card and play it in Betaplayer ^_^

Would anyone be interested in swapping rips if I were to provide the space? Of course for legal reasons, no copyright material. ^_^

It would be a case of uploaders get download permissions.

PM me if interested...

Guest Maksymilian

3 Click Advance options and then click smartphone ICON. This will use the smartphone default parameters. Tick any required options i.e Xvid and 2 pass encoding.  

7 You then have the option to crop some of the original film image, anything cropped will not be coded. This is useful for eliminating the dark bands above and below the actual movie. I crop the bands as I prefer to code for the full smartphone screen. After cropping you can untick the 'Resize automatically' option which will allow the movie to be scaled to the predefined output settings of 220*176 otherwise it will retain the aspect ratio and modify those output settings.

Got it working - Brill ^_^

Thanks mi ol' mate

What advantages does checking Xvid and 2 pass encoding have

(I assume 2 passes results in a larger file)

What advantages does checking Xvid and 2 pass encoding have ?

(I assume 2 passes results in a larger file)

I knew Xvid was a codec but I wasn't too sure on the question about 2 pass except for that it would process the original code twice. Anyway I thought I'd checked the net for a proper description :wink: (see quotes below)

2 pass is said to give an increase the video quality so I imagine that the output file size may increase slightly. It might be worth testing it to see if there is any noticable difference.

XviD is an ISO MPEG-4 compliant video codec. It's no product, it's an open source project which is developed and maintained by lots of people from all over the world.

Encoding 2 or 3-pass MPEG-4 ("DivX")

2-pass encoding.  The name comes from the fact that this method encodes the file twice. The first encoding (dubbed pass) creates some temporary files (*.log) with a size of few megabytes, do not delete them yet (you can delete the AVI). In the second pass, the 2-pass output file is created, using the bitrate data from the temporary files. The resulting file will have much better image quality.  

3-pass encoding.  This is an extension of 2-pass encoding, where the audio encoding takes place in a separate pass. This method enables estimation of recommended video bitrate in order to fit on a CD. Also, the audio is encoded only once, unlike in 2-pass mode.

Guest kurtfhouse

Martin

I have tried your way of encoding from a couple of posts up with my new Star Wars box set.

I have all the stream processing settings ok and the DVD starts ripping but it always stops at 67%?????? It says not enough room on disk but I can see and know that there is more than enough with several gig spare :evil:

Any ideas mate?

Cheers fella

I have all the stream processing settings ok and the DVD starts ripping but it always stops at 67%?????? It says not enough room on disk but I can see and know that there is more than enough with several gig spare :evil:

Strange :? I've never had that problem and I only have 11 gig spare.

Have you tried emptying the recycle bin and then defragmenting the C drive ? Maybe DVD decrypter has to store the file as continuous and not fragmented (just guessing here) :wink: