Storing 2 mobile numbers for one contact

Guest C500pete

Guest C500pete

Is it me?

I can't seem to add a second mobile number for a contact. For example: I have added my parents in as Mum & Dad, but Outlook only has a drop down for one mobile number.

What I really need is like the email fields; Email, Email 2, Email 3.

Is there a way to configure Outlook to add a second Mobile field, and then for this to be transferred as part of the record to the SPV?

Thanks,

Pete

Guest awarner [MVP]

Nope what you see is what you get, you would have to enter

a new contact to have the second mobile number.

Or just use the other number options ie work2 phone etc

Guest C500pete

thanks for your help.

I've found how to customise the main outlook form and can add extra fields.

when the contact uses the extra field (say, mobile2) then this goes across to the spv but with the tag 'rdo'.

the added field is outlook's phone5 field, which i suspect is radio pager, but i get similar behaviour with user defined fields.

the properties of the field do not have rdo anywhere so i can't seem to change it?

this must be a simple customise issue - any outlook experts out there ?

pete.

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest boysweek

IGNORE THIS. I TRIED IT HIS MORNING AND IT DOESN'T WORK :? I'LL GET MY THINKING CAP ON

Have you tried this:

Go to Design This Form to edit the Outlook form you have already customised.

Right Click the field you have added and select Advanced Properties

Scroll down to the Tag property and select it.

In the box at the top of the Properties Dialogue Box type Mobile 2 or whatever you want the tag to be and click Apply

This should now save the Tag correctly and I cannot see any reason why Outlook wouldn't then pass this data to your Smartphone but I haven't tested it.

Steve

Guest C500pete

Thanks again for your help Steve - much appreciated. I've got a lot of contacts who I want to group their mobiles together, but under the one contact entry. That's the whole idea with card file type storage. Outlook provides the facility to enter multiple email addresses for one contact, I'm amazed that the same can't be done for Mobiles.

Guest boysweek

Pete

Things are never as simple as they could be. I have got to the bottom of this one but it isn't the news you were hoping for!

Microsoft realised it couldn't fit onto the Smartphone screen the full Outlook field name next to the value contained in that field. To get round this it created some shorthand. So they used:

w= web

e = email

e2 = email address 2

txt = text message number

m = mobile

h = home number

etc etc

and ...

rdo = Radio Pager (which of course you worked out)

These short codes for the Outlook fields are preset in Windows Mobile and so it doesn't matter what you change the field Name or Tag to in Outlook on your PC, they are ignored when sync'd.

Also, Windows Mobile doesn't sync with all the available Outlook fields. Only the following Phone fields are sync'd:

Radio Pager (rdo)

Pager (pgr)

Car Phone (car)

the following appear to be ignored:

Other Phone

Primary Phone

and it ignores any User Defined Fields you create and the four defined fields User Field 1~4

So Pete, it seems we are beaten. :)

Your point though is very valid. Many people do have more than one mobile number - one for work and one for private. We need Microsft to wake up to this!

regards

Steve