Motorola MPx220 and Audiovox SMT6500 "app locked"?

Guest phonemag

Guest phonemag

Motorola MPx220 and Audiovox SMT6500 "app locked"? [Read via PhoneMag]

There's bad news and then there's really bad news. I think this particular issue is really bad news.

The term application locked is loosely used in a lot of the forums. I searched around and found that application locked literally means the following:

Application security on the Windows Mobile-based Smartphone helps protect the integrity of the end-users' Smartphone device by not allowing the user to install applications from an unknown source.

With that being said, David (an avid PhoneMag visitor) had discovered that he has not been able to sync data between SplashID and the desktop. There is no way to select SplashID to sync with the MPx220 under the option menu of ActiveSync. The settings option is also grayed out. David contacted SplashData and got the following response:

> At this time it'll need to be an AT&T device. Although your phone is

> unlocked, the carrier that's on the phone also needs to grant us permission

> to access the files that are required to sync.

>

> Regards,

>

> Blaine

> SplashData

I confirm David's finding on both the MPx220 as well as the Audiovox SMT6500. I know it's definitely too early to conclude that these two devices are app locked but why only lock the synchronization part and not deny the entire application from being installed? Perhaps this issue only affects a few applications? Who knows.

SO! I contacted a trust friend and ran these finding through him. He advised that the sure way to test whether the MPx220 and SMT6500 is really app locked is to see if they allow the installation of PHM Registry Editor. Well I'm sad to say that installation failed on both devices. The installation process got kicked to the screen below and then after a few more clicks a window popped open stating the installation was complete. Yet PHM Registry Editor never got installed.

I look forward to everyone's response on this matter. I'm positive that once these two devices hit general population, there's going to be a riot.

There's been an update. It appears that if you run the PHM .cab from the phone, it installs and works just fine. I'll try to install it via .cab tonight and will post back the results.

Also, I believe others on here have already said they're running PHM on the MPx220.

With WMP10 out there, I'm *ALMOST* positive that in some way, there will be a ROM update. The MPx220 allows MS and Motorola the niche' of being the all-around do everything device (except WiFi of course which I am still suicidal about).

-Mc

Guest Jerry Raia

PHM installed fine on my Cingular 220.

However PhatNotes for Smartphone will not sync through AS. Not sure if this is related as this version of PHatNotes doesn't mention this phone as supported.

• 1 month later...

I have a CINGULAR 220 and CANNOT install programs.. give it that the only program i tried was a skin in CAB format. but it said the program doesnt have enough permission or something.. it is however SIM unlocked THANK YOU CINGULAR!, i tested it on tmobile worked like a charm... ne ways

DOES ANYONE know HOW TO AP. UNLOCK these phones???

Guest midnight

skins are different, there are certain parts of the registry (namely HKey Local Machine) where you cannot write the entries such as extra screens and media player skins. This is the same for the C500 aswell until you get it software unlocked via the O website.

Guest dwlewisii

I have an smt from ATT, and I ran an app from smartphone.net that tests to see if your phone is app locked...it said It was. That being the case, can someone confirm that the phone IS indeed locked and how can we app unlock?

by the by, as soon as I can, I want to upgrade my modaco membership...you guys are well worth supporting!!!

Dan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest johnkfb

Yeah, I've been having the same issues with app locking, or iassume that it is app locking...it seems that some apps just will not install--i get the "does not have adequate system permissions" error message. the cab says it's downloaded successfully, it starts installing, but....suddenly does not have adequate system permissions. I started fooling around and seeing just what i could install, basically a lot of cabs installed, including dopewars for smartphone and pocketsnes (although pocketsnes freezes when you load a rom), but (most likely because they're unsigned) if i try to download the ported versions of doom and wolfenstein from www.spv3d.tk for example, i get the permissions error. tried to run No Warez because that can unlock an mx200 but i get "failed to install on your device" error message. anyone?? is this app locking based on being signed or not??

Guest peteatmodaco
is this app locking based on being signed or not??

Yes, it is! :cry:

Further background information on code signing and security policies (aimed at developers) can be found at http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default....ne_security.asp

The most up-to-date list of phones and Security Policies is here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/mobility/windows...ps/default.aspx

HTH!

Pete

Guest TaylorTAP

What firmware are you guys using??? I have the .342 and have PHM and a bunch of plugins installed on my phone which were all unknown publishers. I'm very curious about this.

Guest BeyondtheTech

Daringly, I used the SDA Unlocker (search the forums here for the attachment) and was able to write to the locked portions of the registry on my SMT5600. I ran it on my MPx220 and it froze on startup, requiring a hard reboot.

As for the application unlocking, the attachment seems to be the universal method. With the Smartphone in ActiveSync, copy the file CheckLock.exe over to your Smartphone and run it. It should say, "Your phone is locked." Type rapiconfig /p ResetSecurity.xml at a DOS prompt. Run CheckLock again and it should say that your phone is now "not locked."

Guest THE Rokku
Daringly, I used the SDA Unlocker (search the forums here for the attachment) and was able to write to the locked portions of the registry on my SMT5600.  I ran it on my MPx220 and it froze on startup, requiring a hard reboot.

As for the application unlocking, the attachment seems to be the universal method.  With the Smartphone in ActiveSync, copy the file CheckLock.exe over to your Smartphone and run it.  It should say, "Your phone is locked."  Type rapiconfig /p ResetSecurity.xml at a DOS prompt.  Run CheckLock again and it should say that your phone is now "not locked."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi I have MPx 220 with firmware 1.30, and I can not back up files at all from ROM folder. I believe that I need to unlock applications.

I searched all the forums but did not find CheckLock.exe and SDA Unlokcer. Please advice me where I can find those tools.

Thx in advance. :D

Guest BeyondtheTech
now, if only i knew how to access a command line or a dos prompt from this phone...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't need to. Just use File Manager and launch CheckLock.exe from there.

My understanding from reading this and other forums is that checklock.exe only CHECKS to see if your phone is locked.... If it is then you can use the rapiconfig.exe and resetsecurity.xml files on your PC to unlock your phone and then run checklock.exe afterwards to ensure your phone is unlocked now.

Here is some info I copied from another site:

Copy the files to the root of your C: drive (i.e. double-click on My Computer, double-click on C:, and drag the two files RapiConfig.exe and ResetSecurity.xml into that folder).

Then, click Start > Run.

Type in CMD at the Run dialog box.

Finally, type in rapiconfig /p resetsecurity.xml and hit Enter.

It should say that it 'succeeded.'

Then, you can run CheckLock on your Smartphone again, just to verify that it's unlocked.

Some people also say that you need to have the smartphone Software Development Kit installed on your PC for this to work (available on Microsoft.com) Now, I haven't done all of this myself, so I can't talk about this first hand, but this is my understanding anyways....

Some people say you can also use the other two following methods to software unlock/decertify your phone (both methods only require you to run these on your phone. No need to run anything on a PC, except to copy them to your phone):

1. Use the SDA_ApplicationUnlock file (I beleive you can find this on this site through a search)

**Edit: http://www.modaco.com/index.php?showtopic=118180&hl=

2. Use the DisableSecurity.xml and No Warez.exe files on your phone (If my memory is correct these files can't be found on this site due to copyrighting, but I KNOW you can find these if you search the net)

Edited by yoos

Guest johnkfb

yeah, rapiconfig is not recognizable by my pc, and i believe i did install that developer kit. i'm too paranoid about running the sdaunlock because i think it crashes the mx220, but no confirmation on that yet.

Guest lostarts

I ran the SDAunlock on my MPX220 (firmware 1.3) and it succesfully application unlocked the phone (after I rebooted the phone). It did not crash the phone. If you do a hard reset, however, you will have to run this program again.

yeah, rapiconfig is not recognizable by my pc, and i believe i did install that developer kit.  i'm too paranoid about running the sdaunlock because i think it crashes the mx220, but no confirmation on that yet.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Edited by lostarts

Guest gamma77
Daringly, I used the SDA Unlocker (search the forums here for the attachment) and was able to write to the locked portions of the registry on my SMT5600.  I ran it on my MPx220 and it froze on startup, requiring a hard reboot.

As for the application unlocking, the attachment seems to be the universal method.  With the Smartphone in ActiveSync, copy the file CheckLock.exe over to your Smartphone and run it.  It should say, "Your phone is locked."  Type rapiconfig /p ResetSecurity.xml at a DOS prompt.  Run CheckLock again and it should say that your phone is now "not locked."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:D After trial and error using other methods with no luck, used the rapiconfig method and phone is now unlocked! Thanks!

Guest SJ@MPx-220

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guys, I'm really new to the smartphone. So all this unlocking tweak is really new for me :oops:

Where can I download the CheckLock.exe tool?

Is it from the SmartPhone SDK?

-SJ

thanks for the link, but the actual things I'm looking for are the rapiconfig and resetsecurity.xml. Those are part of the SDK (I think) and it's only two little files...

Can someone post?

thanks...