New Plugin: SmartMonitor 0.9.6.0 [Updated 15/11/2004]

Guest drfonz

Hi Nick,

then the plugin is behaving correctly. It will not show 0 when the radio module is disabled (Flight Mode), instead it shows ???.

Glad to see that the lockup problems are now gone :lol:

Cheers!

Dr Fonz

SMALL request and question...

When the display shows ??? or zero, is there a way you could add a switch to show the bar as empty instead of full? For example, with no signal strength or no SD card inserted, I get the full bar. I would prefer to see the empty bar. My signal strength usually hangs aroun 0 or 1 or 2 and the bar goes from full to empty to full to empty. :lol:

Also, I noticed that when I have the update set to 0, the signal strength doesn't update even when I select the entry on my homescreen. It will say 1 or 2% even though I show all full bars in the upper right.

Second question: When it displays carrier name (by the way, thanks for this addition), where is it pulling the info from? On Cingular, it either shows Cingular or Cingular Extend (when roaming). Will the plugin also state Cingular Extend or will it show the actual carrier I'm roaming on (such as T-Mobile)?

thanks...

-Mc

Hi Mac!

The changes you ask for are certainly possible. Also I'm not sure of the reason why the signal does not update when Autorefresh is set to zero. What should happen is that when a significant change occurs in the signal strength (ask what that means to Microsoft!) the refresh thread should tell the plugin to repaint itself. Again, because of the problems experienced with MP series phones... I'm not sure if this will work on them. It certainly does on my C500...

The operator stuff is actually pulled straight from the list of "known operators" which I believe resides in the Phone's ROM (but I might be wrong here). So as long as the Operator is known (i.e. it existed by the time of your last ROM upgrade) you should see its name, be it Cingular, T-Mobile, Orange or otherwise :lol:

I'm out of computers at the minute (borrowing my wife's to type this) so as soon as I get my new laptop next week, I'll see what I can do.

Cheers!

Dr Fonz

SWEET!

Yah, I think Cingular is the only carrier in the world that regardless of whose network you're on, it shows their own name (which defeats the purpose of displaying it). Since changing my homescreen to include the carrier ID with SmartMonitor, I haven't seen anything BUT Cingular on both. Once I see Cingular Extend on the standard plugin, I can't wait to see what yours reports.

Thanks again... I think we're all out of requests! :lol:

-Mc

OK, just as an FYI, the carrier ID will give the same as the default plugin gives. When the default homescreen shows Cingular Extend, so does SmartMonitor. So, for those curious, it is reporting the results based on the SIM information. :lol:

And confirmed... On the MPx220, with refresh set to 0, it will not refresh the Signal Strength when you select it. :D The SmartMonitor Homescreen behaves the same way so I know it's not my code. ;)

BUT, this plugin has to be by far the most powerful and useful plugin to date. drfonz... thanks again and the work is incredible. Looking forward to the reversed bar switch!!!!!

-Mc

Hi michhy,

are you using somebody else's Homescreen? I say this because the information displayed is totally customisable by you by changing the XML file, and it looks like the Homescreen you are using is displaying other type of info than the one you want.

This is not a problem with the plugin, but a configuration issue. It's like complaining about Windows explorer because it shows you the C: drive when you open it when you wanted to check the D: drive. Simply change the XML file to display the memory/storage you'd like to see. There are some samples in the documentation, so I'd suggest that as a sarting point.

Hope that helps!

Dr Fonz

hi drfonz, thanks for the reply.

I have tried also using the "smart monitor" homescreen that came with the plugin. The same errors as i mentioned earlier happened.

Also, when I use "smart monitor" homescreen, the thermometer will always show 37deg and an empty thermo picture. FYI, I have the Thermo application installed and it works just fine, so it couldnt be the hardware.

Thanks again.

ss004.jpg

ss002.jpg

ss003.jpg

Hi michhy,

try already told you about the "scale" attribute, but I'm not sure what the issue with the memory card is. Anybody else out there with a 512Mb that can confirm that there is a problem with this size memory cards?

Dr Fonz

Thaks Powerfull!

@michhy

The only thing I can advise then is to have a look with Windows Explorer to your mobile and make sure that the "Storage Card" path exists. If this is called something else (by some strange reason) you'll need to edit the XML file to reflect this other path name. The only reason why the plugin would return ??? for a storage element is if the path attirbute provided in the XML element is of a path that doesn't exist...

Cheers!

Dr Fonz

Guest mik_cool
Thaks Powerfull!

@michhy

The only thing I can advise then is to have a look with Windows Explorer to your mobile and make sure that the "Storage Card" path exists. If this is called something else (by some strange reason) you'll need to edit the XML file to reflect this other path name. The only reason why the plugin would return ??? for a storage element is if the path attirbute provided in the XML element is of a path that doesn't exist...

Cheers!

Dr Fonz

been looking for your orange homeskin dr fonz, where can i download them? :lol: thanx!

Hi mik_cool and welcome to MoDaCo!

The Orange skin you want is actually posted in this thread somewhere. I couldn't tell you exactly in which page, but if you start on the first page and make your way thorough you'll find it :lol:

Enjoy!

Dr Fonz

Oh that explains it!

On my phone (mpx200 with wm2003) the SDcard is referred to as "Mounted Volume" so that is why it isnt working! :lol: thanks!

Hey, can i just rename my MOUNTED VOLUME to STORAGE CARD or something?

@Mc Hale

I haven't had a chance to install the compilers on my new laptop. But I haven't forgotten, it's just that I have a lot on my plate at the mo' :D

@michhy

I'm not sure whether you can rename the volume name (try using Explorer from your PC while connected with Activesync and see what happens. If that fails, it should be very easy for you to open the XML file in a text editor and change any occurrances of "Storage Card" into "Mounted Volume" :lol:

Dr Fonz

thanks again all.

I decided I cant change the name of my "mounted volume" coz my other apps and shortcuts wont work if I do that, so I edited the XML file instead. Now it looks the way I wanted it, and I learned a new trick or two at modifying XML homescreens, thanks!

Hey, from your guidance, I'm using SmartMonitor and have created a homescreen for myself. Let me know if you guys have any comments.

Droplet (with Smartmonitor plugin)

Gotta love u guys, lol thanks!

Guest Powerfull

Hi drfonz,

I found a mistake with the strengh signal in the last version (0.9.6.0), the strengh signal seems to be never updated (percentage and signal bar). The only way to refresh the strengh signal is to change the homescreen or reboot the mobile. The version 0.9.5.1 doesn't have this problem. I didn't see this problem earlier because where I am the reception is always 100%.

Hi Powerfull,

do you have an MP phone? This issue came up a while ago, and it seems to happen when the refresh attribute is set to "0". In theory the signal should be updated regardless of the refresh attribute whenever there's a significant change in signal strength, but this seems not to be the case in MP phones in version 0.9.6.0...

I will investigate further when I get a chance...

Thanks!

Dr Fonz

Guest Powerfull

Thanks for your reply, I have a SPV E200 and I have tested different refresh attribute (even 0) and the result is the same, the signal stength is always at the same value (100%). If the reception is bad the plugin always indicate 100%, but if I reboot the phone the value is correct. Thanks again.

Yup, I'm seeing exactly what Powerfull is seeing. The signal strength never updates. It only gives the one value and it stays that way the entire time. So whatever it is when I turn on the phone, that's what it will always report. Everything else about the plugin refreshes when I select the plugin.

Again, I'm using the MPx220 with 2003 SE.

Of those that have the signal strength part of the plugin working, what phone are you using?

Thanks again...

-Mc