Scrolling appointment plug in

Guest sullivanpt

Guest sullivanpt

Lutz, I think I got my e-mail problem straightened out. I sent a complaint to my ISP, yesterday. I didn't get a response, but the problem seems to have disappeared :-) You should have received 1.4 today. I updated the files on Handago too, just in case the e-mail didn't make it.

No major changes, still chasing that memory leak. I have my fingers crossed that this one is it :!:

Also, as you might guess my questions, I'm busily planning the label support. The more I learn, the more confused I get.

I'm considering something like this, but maybe it's too complicated?

No upcoming appointments

When:

Where:

The idea behind noevent within a label is that it defaults visible="false", and hides those things when no appointment is shown.

hi patrick

it came in today - at least three times ;-) thank you very much!

i am testing it at the moment, especially for the memory leak. i will try the new xml layout too. thanks alot for your work. did you think it will eat up so much time before you started with it??? :-)

cheers, lutz

Guest sullivanpt

Hi Lutz, I'm glad you received it finally! :lol:

But don't do too much testing of the XML layout, it's NOT implemented yet :!: All my questions thus far are about how to go about doing it.

While I'm at it, here's another:

I'm currently planning to implement the subject, time, and location variable tags of the original Calendar plug-in. Is there a need for more variables, such as notes, conflict icon, reminder bell icon, repeating appt icon, number of appointments left today, etc.?

As far as 1.4 testing goes, I've apparently lost 2 MB in 24 hours. That's much improved from before, but I intend to do better. I'll get back to the memory issues AFTER I implement the labels.

Thanks everybody for your support!

sounds good to me! i don't need much more info than subject, time, location on my homescreen. of course it is a good idea to integrate icons for repeating appts and conflicts but that leads to a problem if you - like me - use another font size for the plug in.

the only thing i would really love is the option to use another font size since its getting crowdy on my homescreen and i usually reformat the size of the plugin to 20 pixel and use a smaller font size to get every thing in this space...

cheers, lutz

Guest sullivanpt

Hey Lutz, Nope, I really had no idea how many hours I'd end up putting into this project. But I've enjoyed working on it, and I love all the great feedback and positive support. :lol:/

The font size is alreayd settable in the 1.4 version, for example:

Guest dupasquier

Excellent work Patrick. Thank you for this great plugin. I just bought it!

Already changed the font size into size 13, brilliant!

Don't know if it was already suggested, but would it be possible to display the next upcoming appointment whenever it is in the future instead of the standard "No upcoming appointments"?

Guest sullivanpt

Howdy dupasquier, thank you for all the kind words! You really make this development rewarding for me!

Don't know if it was already suggested, but would it be possible to display the next upcoming appointment whenever it is in the future instead of the standard "No upcoming appointments"?

You should be able to get an effect similar to what want you want by changing the scroll-days="2" to something like scroll-days="15" in the XML file. This changes the look ahead to 15 days. Not exactly what you want, since if you have a lot of appointments in the next 15 days it will take a long time to scroll around!

Perhaps in the future I can add a "scroll-number" attribute, that overrides the scroll-days and gives the number of appointments to scroll ahead into instead of going by day? (E.g. next 5 appointments, next 20 appointments, etc.)

I haven't noticed anyone else mentioning this, so just thought I'd let you know - when setting a background image there must be a default transparency value set for white (#ffffff).

Guest dupasquier

Patrick, is there any option to have your plugin to scroll automatically through the appointments once (regardless how many days you are setting it up) and then come back to the first appointment/birthday?

At this point, the plugin scrolls through my appointments automatically and stops on the last appointment of the last day.

Guest sullivanpt

:!: Okay, the beta release of 1.5 with full formatting support is ready :!:

There is a demo enabled (pink lines) version posted at my web site:

http://patricktrentsullivan.com/downloads/...uginDemo1p5.exe

Please be advised that version 1.5 is absolutely untested software. I ran it a few times in the debugger and it didn't crash for me. O:)

If you need a working smartphone don't install it. If you can't wait to try the latest, and you want to be the first to find all the bugs, this is your opportunity. :?

Enjoy!

Patrick, is there any option to have your plugin to scroll automatically through the appointments once (regardless how many days you are setting it up) and then come back to the first appointment/birthday?  

At this point, the plugin scrolls through my appointments automatically and stops on the last appointment of the last day.

Hmm, perhaps you have encountered a bug? :D

After scrolling through all the appointments, it should jump back to the first non-all day appointment in your look ahead range. E-mail or PM me your XML settings (scroll-speed etc.) and a rough idea of your appointments (date, start time, end time or all day) and the time of day you saw the bug. I will recreate it here.

Thanks for your help!

I haven't noticed anyone else mentioning this, so just thought I'd let you know - when setting a background image there must be a default transparency value set for white (#ffffff).

This means white pixels on your background don't get drawn? I borrowed the background code from the virtuoffice example (Which is a super sample for anyone looking to write their own plug-in). I'll look into this.

Thank you for bringing it to my attention :lol:

Patrick

Guest sullivanpt

I confirmed this bug. But I put the blame on the wrong sample, Virtuoffice got it right, the xmlsample got it wrong (in case you are thinking of writing your own plug-in, this is a horrid, bug ridden sample).

So now I have a bigger question. Should the background ever be drawn transparent? I'm reading the MS Home screen white paper, and I can't decide if they are implying the transparency color should be the system foreground color (COLOR_HOMETEXT) or not. The obvious advantage is that you get transparency if you want it, and you can still mimic a non-transparent image by setting background:bgcolor to COLOR_HOMETEXT.

So what do people prefer?

i know for my own purposes if there is to be a transparency colour its better to be able to specify it in the xml. usually a background image will replace fgcolor, but some people will not want to use them, + would then just use fgcolor as a highlight. it is an extra benefit to have transparency colours, but not essential from a graphic design perspective. let me know if you want me to tert anything for you. Posted from my SmartPhone!

i know for my own purposes if there is to be a transparency colour its better to be able to specify it in the xml. usually a background image will replace fgcolor, but some people will not want to use them, + would then just use fgcolor as a highlight. it is an extra benefit to have transparency colours, but not essential from a graphic design perspective. let me know if you want me to tert anything for you. Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest Motofone

Hi,

I know I'm going to get slated for this but .....

Your using open source for your plugin that you have already charged for. How can you charge money for a plugin that doesn't work properly.

Isn't this what forums are for, to discuss things and work together to get a good result so everyone can benifit from the end result. Maybe I am wrong but don't you think you were a bit premature in charging for your plugin?? Everybody is working to solve the problems with your plugin so you can earn money.

Doesn't add up for me, keep it free if everyone is contributing.

Guest sullivanpt

Hi there motofone,

Your opinions are interesting, but there is already another thread dedicated to this topic. I would be happy to discuss the pros and cons of paid software development there.

http://smartphone.modaco.com/viewtopic.php...der=asc&start=0

Please keep this thread on topic for those who are interested in testing and improving the scrolling appointment plug in.

Thank you,

Patrick

Just installed on my C500 and it's locking up after it's scrolled through a few appointments. Will post more details shortly. Anyone else with problems like this?

Guest sullivanpt
Just installed on my C500 and it's locking up after it's scrolled through a few appointments.  Will post more details shortly.  Anyone else with problems like this?

Hmm, I'm sorry to hear this. Which version are you trying? When it "locks up" does the whole phone lock up or just the plug in? What happens if you select the plug in and try to manually scroll after it locks up?

Much obliged for the feedback,

Patrick

@motofone: well, nobody is forced to buy anything on this planet that he doesn't want to buy. patrick offers a free trial where you can test if it fits your needs. i simply bought it to SUPPORT IT'S DEVELOPMENT and i see it as a (very small) tribute to the time he invests in it. he even asks users what they want to see in it. thats why i think 5 bugs don't kill me...

@fozzy - 1.4 is working good on my orange rom, i had no lockups yet.

cheers, lutz

Ok, I think I've found out where the problem lies. The plug-in is clashing with HotButton Plus. HBP has a background process running to detect the double tap of the home key, which then calls up the app. If the process is running, the the scrolling plug-in scrolls through a few appointments then it freezes up the homescreen. I can still call up xBar and run apps etc from there. If I then kill both the HBP process and home.exe, then restart home.exe, everything is fine (alhough obviously I can't then use HBP).

The plug-in works fine if I stop the HPB process from running at startup.

Please feel free to use me to try and fix this problem.

EDIT: I still seem to get the occasional lock up. Trying to narrow it down...

Guest nickcornaglia

Is there anyway to remove the advertisment at the initial load of the plugin? I know where I bought it and it's not much of an advertisment for others. Or could you at least reduce it to one line? Thanks.

Guest sullivanpt
EDIT:  I still seem to get the occasional lock up.  Trying to narrow it down...

Yes, it sounds like you know much more about smartphones than I do. Thanks for your help with this. Can you describe the lock-up? Does it stop scrolling? Can you scroll manually? What happens if you wait 10 minutes, does it recover? How many appointments do you have in scheduled in the next month? On average, how many recurring appointments do you have per month? What version are you running?

Regarding the "advertisement". Very amusing. I was putting out so many versions in such a short time that I thought it would be great for people to know what version they have installed. I didn't think of this as an advertisement at all. Sorry. I'll put an option in the XML to hide it.