SPVNoiseBox - UPDATED 03/12 v0.9.2b

Guest bosshogg

Guest bosshogg

03/12/04 v0.9.2b

Fixes a memory issue introduced in v0.9.2. The attached zip has been updated with the new files. If you've already installed 0.9.2, you just need SPVNoiseBox.exe, hss.dll and hssNet.dll from the zip.

02/12/04 v0.9.2 released.

I've updated the version in the zip file at the bottom of this post.

Changes in this release:

Looping! :D

Sounds can now be looped. To loop a sound, select "Loop Next Sound" from the menu, then press the appropriate key. To stop the sound playing, press that key again.

Sounds can now be played simultaneously! :P .

You can play as many sounds as you like over the top of as many sounds as you like. However this is where the C500 lets us down - no multipress... :cry: If the sound all gets a bit too much, there is an emergency "Stop All Sounds" on the menu.

Key descriptions

You can now set a "description" attribute on the "key" node in the config xml. Whatever you type in will be displayed in place of the number labels. About 7 or 8 characters will fit.

Key labels can be hidden

If you don't want the key labels to be visible, just set a display="false" attribute on the "keys" node. This is useful when you have your own background image and will be displaying your own key assignments. to see an example of this in action, see the SPVDrum sound set. And speaking of which...

New sound set: SPVDrum

The Smartphone's first drum kit! (probably... ^_^ ) This replaces "The Fast Show" which lighthouse82 is now looking after, I think. I've also added key labels to "Mr T In Your Pocket", and some awesome drum loops to "Old Skool".

In addition I fixed the problem where you got an error if the same key was defined more than once in the xml. If this happens the first one is used, anything after is ignored.

To install, copy the contents of the zip to your phone (probably somewhere like storage card/program files/spvnoisebox). You now also need the two dlls as well as the exe, they just go in the same directory as the exe. The dlls are needed as I'm now using the very excellent Hekkus Sound System as the sound engine.

Happy looping!

andy

14/11/04 v0.9.1 released.

I've updated the version in the zip file at the bottom of this post.

Changes:

Application icon

Proper menus

"Surprise" mode

Starts a timer which plays a random sound from the set every 10 seconds. Works a treat with encece's Fart Machine :P

When Surprise Mode is on, a "*" will appear in the menu at the bottom of the screen.

Now displays all 18 mappable keys

In order to display all 18 keys I had to move the controls around a bit. This means that any custom backgrounds that have created may need to be changed, there is a template.gif in the zip file which shows the size and location of the controls. However I didn't want any sound sets that had already been created to look silly with the keys in the wrong place, so by default now the onboard gfx will be used, even if a "background=" attribute is present in the xml file. In order to make custom backgrounds available, a new attribute called "extendedKeyDisplaySupport" needs to be present in the "config" node and contain the value "true". If you look at the updated "Fast Show" sound set in the zip you'll see what I mean. Hopefully this attribute can be removed in the next release, but I just wanted to make sure no one HAD to update their sound sets if they didn't want to.

"About" screen

The new "About" page can contain sound set information too, it will display the sound set name by default, and also Author name and Comments if available. The Author name comes from a new "author=" attribute in the config node, and the "comments" come from a new "comments" node - again if you look at the Fast Show sound set it'll all become clear.

I've also added a keycodes.txt document in the zip which contains the available key codes.

Have fun!

(Original Post below...)

Hi everyone, here's my first .net CF app. I actually wrote it a while ago but didn't have a phone to test it on till recently, and what do you know it works! It's kind of fun in the pub.

It's based on "Mr T In Your Pocket", a little electronic toy with 6 buttons that says a different Mr T expression for each button. This app is the same concept except you can expand it with as many sound sets as you like, the attached zip contains 3 sets: Mr T, The Fast Show and some hip hoppy sounds. You can make your own quite easily, each sub directory off the app directory needs an xml file and the .wav files, each wav is mapped to a key on the keypad within the xml file.

To install it just copy everything in the zip file to the phone (works from the phone or storage card) making sure you maintain the directory structure as it is in the zip. Create a shortcut in the start menu and away you go.

The interface is pretty simple, first time you use it you'll be presented with a list of installed sound sets. Use the joystick to select the one you want to load and then press the left soft key (couldn't get it to respond to the joystick click :lol: ). The screen will then change to show which keys on the keypad are mapped to a sound, just press one of those keys to play the sound. Works best if you don't have keypress tones on otherwise they play over each other.

Anyhow let me know what you think!

EDIT: Forgot to say that since it's a .net app it's WM2003 only!

Sound sets currently available

:!: = some rude words

:!: :!: = real bad rude words

In the zip:

"The Fast Show", "Mr T" and "Old Skool" courtesy of, er, me.

On this page:

"Holy Grail" and "Hong Kong Phooey" courtesy of, er, me again.

On page 2:

"Arnold Schwartzenbuger" and "Jim Carrey and Dumb & Dumber", courtesy of gsr264

"Matrix" and "Peter Kay" courtesy of NIGHTMARE

On page 3:

"fartmachine", courtesy of encece

"fart", courtesy of ravenmad

On page 4:

"Scarface" :!: :!: , courtesy of gsr264

"The Office" :!: , courtesy of waltergilbert

On page 5:

"Michael Jackass" :!:, "Holy Grail v2", "Alan Partridge" and "American Pie" :!:, courtesy of lighthouse82

On page 6:

"Little Britain" :!:, courtesy of djleekee

"Fast Show v2": fixed by lighthouse82

On page 7:

"Quiz Shows", courtesy of djleekee

"Ferris Bueller", courtesy of the prolific lighthouse82

thanks guys! :lol:

SPVNoiseBox092b.zip

holygrail.zip

hkphooey.zip

Hey what is the XML code for the * and # keys? I saw you used ... so I guess "F9" is the # key right? What is the * key? I'm trying to make an "Arnold" board and I need to be able to use all 12 keys. Could I use more keys like the power and camera button? What would those codes be?

Guest bosshogg

The key codes are:

1:"D1"

2:"D2"

3:"D3"

4:"D4"

5:"D5"

6:"D6"

7:"D7"

8:"D8"

9:"D9"

0:"D0"

*:"F8"

#:"F9"

That's all the program is designed to currently handle. However the following also work (but are not displayed on the screen)

Dial:"F3"

Up:"Up"

Down:"Down"

Left:"Left"

Right:"Right"

Click:"Return"

The other buttons (camera, volume, back, home etc) are not trapped and so cannot be assigned to.

Sounds fun...multiple fart noises...here I come! ^_^

lol :D make sure you upload that one here!

Guest JasonKenny

So cool....far cooler than ringtones and look how much effort there is on this site dedicated to those.

Anyone out there going to make a pheonix nights/hong kong phooey/little britain sets?

Jay 8)

Guest bosshogg
Nice one :D

now to see new themes posted :lol:

Monty Python and the Holy Grail gets my vote.

See the first post, I've added Monty Python And The Holy Grail for you and also Hong Kong Phooey for JasonKenny. I'd like to do a Little Britain but I don't have the dvd and can't find any suitable samples on the web...

Guest bosshogg
Doesn't work on my cv 500. program crashes :cry:

Works fine on my C500 - what's the error you get? Are you sure you have the directory structure set up right? Should be something like:

Program FilesSPVNoiseBoxSPVNoiseBox.exe

Program FilesSPVNoiseBoxMrT(wav files + xml)

Program FilesSPVNoiseBoxFastShow(wav files + xml)

Program FilesSPVNoiseBoxOldSkool(wav files + xml)

etc

let me know...

Guest bosshogg
What program do you use to rip samples from a DVD? I've got a few ideas of my own...I'll post my Arnold theme when i get to work...

Nothing specfic, I'd probably just play the bit I wanted to sample and then run Sound Recorder or something to record it as it was playing.

:lol: grats. Toss me a few suggestions, this kind of thing is my specialty. I'm working on getting some good piano and or guitar samples to make a music set.

Hopefully in the long run we can evolve this program to a full fledged loop/sample/drum machine that can do any of this. If you could figure out a way to allow the program to loop one sound while the user plays another on top of it.... the sky is the limit!!! Even as far as making your own songs with the loops we provide and saving them as songs/ringtones!!! What are the realistic posibilities of something like this? I'd do it my self, but I'm just figuring out html/xml... haven't gotten to .net yet...

Guest bosshogg
Hopefully in the long run we can evolve this program to a full fledged loop/sample/drum machine that can do any of this. If you could figure out a way to allow the program to loop one sound while the user plays another on top of it.... the sky is the limit!!! Even as far as making your own songs with the loops we provide and saving them as songs/ringtones!!! What are the realistic posibilities of something like this? I'd do it my self, but I'm just figuring out html/xml... haven't gotten to .net yet...

You know what I'd love to do is some kind of collaborative music creator, where clock (timing) data is broadcast over bluetooth so that connected devices would play in time with each other, so like one phone plays the drums, another bass, another piano etc. A whole new type of performance. I don't know enough about bluetooth to know if this is even possible (is bluetooth paring 1:1 or can it be 1:many?). Anyway I like the simple sample loop player idea to start with, I'll have a think about it.

Bluetooth idea sounds wild but fun. I just know that the likelyhood of finding someone else running the same app for me would be low... I think of it as more of a personal time killer... like an miniature scaled down version of Acid or MTV music generator...

ANYWAY here's what I got accomplished at work today!

(PS- How do you get the windows sound recorder to record sounds from what you're playing in WMP? Do i need a different program?)

Jim Carrey and Dumb & Dumber.zip