Best 'gaming' phone?

Guest therandom

Guest therandom

Hey,

I'm after a mobile which an double as a toy to entertain me on bus/train rides, etc...

Now, as far as I understand, a smartphone would be the best type of phone for this... But after browsing these forums it seems many phones aren't cut out for games - as in the emulators don't function or the joystick can't be used in conjunction with the buttons.

I was curious as to whether there is a phone which is compatible with emulators (preferable the segamega drive one I keep hearing about) and can also cope with multiple button pressing at once...

I'd appreciate any guidance,

Thanks!

Guest element

I can get the mega drive emulator to work fine on my E200... along with all of the other emulators i've found. As far as I can remember I could use the joystick to move forward and then at the same time press a button to jump/shoot.

not sure about anyone else here, but i'd just flip if a smartphone ever came out with a d-pad similar to the playstation's disjointed-cross confiuguration and a not-too-easy to press button in the center.

i realise that phones aren't usually built with gaming in mind, but i'd be willing to pay extra for something like that.

a good example of a GREAT d-pad is a Casio PocketPC which had what looked to be an almost "Logitech"-ish D-Pad that I tried for MONTHS to find, only to find out that it was a "ruggedized" PocketPC intended almost entirely for business use [shipping/receiving, etc] and cost upwards of $1400 :lol:

that thing has the best D-Pad i've ever seen on a PDA :sigh:

edit: it's the Casio EG800 if anyone's curious.

also, with the advent of the landscape mode in WM2003SE, i am REALLY REALLY hoping to see some more "games-friendly" button layouts [ie, buttons on one side, D-Pad on the other.]

Guest fatbob1080

Hi, do you know the processor speed in the sagem? I too am looking for a new phone, one that supports multiple keypresses and will run emulators at a decent speed. I was going to wait for the MPx220 to be released by orange, but im starting to think that could be a while. *Hopefully* the sagem one will be released soon! (although i just rang their upgrade centre and they know nothing about it :? )

Guest maxh2003
I can get the mega drive emulator to work fine on my E200... along with all of the other emulators i've found. As far as I can remember I could use the joystick to move forward and then at the same time press a button to jump/shoot.

Yep, as far as I'm concerned the E200 is (close to?) the perfect phone for Megadrive (PicoDrive) gaming:

1) no frame rate problems on any game (ok, the C500 must deliver more frames but I haven't yet found a game which on PicoDrive is unplayable *on account of the frame rate*)

2) All multi-keypresses that I've ever tried, work fine

3) I only have access to E200s at the moment (haven't invested in a C500) so the E200 is the one phone *guaranteed* to run the PicoDrive for Smartphone port properly :-D

4) at least halfway-usable in landscape mode, which is a much better use of the screen than portrait mode

Having said that, most of the other emulators run fairly badly on the E200 - PicoDrive only works so well on an E200 largely on account of PicoDrive Dave's quite-brilliant assembler code.

My advice - if all you want is multi-keypress-Megadrive, AVI playback and MP3/OGG playback, an E200 will do the job damn-near-perfectly (though don't forget to check the PicoDrive compatibility list, to avoid disappointment). If you want to run (say) the Gameboy or SNES emulators, you might want to get a faster phone, most (all?) of which have keypress problems.

• 2 weeks later...

The Sagem MYS-7 uses an Intel PXA 262 200Mhz processor with 32MB RAM (technically it shows 27.9MB total with 17MB free after reboot or around 12MB free after normal usage). The joystick is quite twitchy and while great for gaming, it frustrates for normal menu navigation. Pushing the stick up or down tends to be accompanied by an unintended left or right input as well because it registers as a diagonal input unless you push it just right. Irritating during fast text input.

It's decently fast but the camera is pretty ugly (think Nokia 6230) and NO BLUETOOTH!!! Very sad....

Guest grumpy_old_technobyte

Sorry to say, but the Ngage QD has to be the best for many reasons. Its cheap, unlocked, games are plentiful plus sound comes through BT headset if you like. Its totally wicked grafix make it oh so nice. And if your on an airplane, just take out the sim card and play uninterupted(ofcourse turnoff BT).

Guest awarner [MVP]

Ngage? only 265 colours and terrible resolution may as well say

the nokia 7110 fo snake :lol:

I think you will find this topic is for Smartphones for gaming phones in

general it would be better to post in the non smartphone device

section or Off Topic.

Guest merguez

LOL an nGage is cheap ? Maybe, but you have to buy the games.

To respond the question, the E200 is perfect because of the joystick, PicoDrive runs at 90-100% speed...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ffr3ality

ngage is ofcourse the best fone, it was designed for games. yes u have to buy the games but does any1 do that, there are sum 'bad' ways to get these games and use them on ur sd card, js research, or buy them cheap off ebay

Guest awarner [MVP]

Just because it was designed for games does not make it good :)

Poor colour, limited graphical ability etc and with the first ones you had

to remove the battery to change games etc, need I go on :(

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest 1spikey1

hi,

the original ngage rocks the only back thing is that when u answer u have to hold it side ways, can also have videos on it, music, radio and the games of course. It hold a 1GB sd card. :D :D :lol: :( :D :D

Edited by 1spikey1

• 2 months later...
Guest aenikata

I have an SPV and an NGage. As a phone, the SPV wins, hands down. As a poor substitute for a PDA, it also wins hands down. For games, the NGage wins, hands down. It has a pad that is COMFORTABLE to use for reasonable periods for games. Sure, the retail games are expensive, but Java games are much cheaper, and there are plenty of bits for the Series 60 devices which work on the NGage, such as a Megadrive emulator.

Since you can then have a natural position for your hands (d-pad in left hand, buttons pressed with right hand), and run your favourity megadrive ROMs... that should suffice for many peoples gaming needs.