Web Outlook 2003 access from SPV C500

Guest dava

This query specifically relates to the web-client feature of Exchange Server 2003

My employer has recently enabled the web client feature in Exchange Server 2003 using RSA SecureID as a second tier authentication.

I can now access email from any device connected to the Internet, but am unable to get the basic web-Outlook page to load on my SPV C500.

Does anyone have any ideas why this might be and if there is a work around?

dava...

Guest robinknight

dava,

sorry mate this is a non starter - OWA requires a browser that supports frames which the MS smartphone version of IE cannot do. No matter which view you use (desktop, one column, default) it won't work.

On my old SEP900 and before that Nokia 6600 the excellent Opera browser did allow me to look at OWA. Opera is coming to MS Smartphone and an evaluation was available at www.opera.com but I think has now been withdrawn. Not sure when the final version is going to be ready.

The other option is that given your corporate mail has enabled Exchange 2003 you can have your IT dept configure your C500 to use the Smartphone Inbox to connect directly to the Exchange server. This just puts another email account into the Messaging application and alows you to pull email down directly to your inbox. Also uses slightly less GPRS MBs than OWA as it doesn't need to "draw" the whole website used by OWA. Downside is that many IT depts are cagey abut doing this unless the phone is supplied by them rather than your own - worth asking though.

Hope this helps.

EDIT********************************************************

Opera Technical Preview is still available but expires on Dec 31st

http://www.opera.com/download/?platform=sy...03496f6ddd1cd69

I've just reloaded onto my C500 and am having mixed results. It loads up the front page no problem at all which is a significant improvement on IE but won't let me select the button to press for webmail access.

Different companies employ different front ends to OWA so you may have more luck. If you have a URL which takes you directly to the log on boc for your mail rather than through an intro screen you may have more luck.

Robin,

Thanks for the feedback on this, certainly helps as I can explore the two routes you suggested - Opera browser or the debate with IT team!

I'm not holding out much hope on the latter option as I work for a large corporate with a strict US parent, especially when it comes to IT.

I'll try the Opera browser and keep my eyes peeled for a release version next year.

Thanks again, and I'll update this topic if I find out a release date for Opera...

dava

Guest nickcornaglia

Try Thunderhawk as well. I remember being able to navigate thru webmail at my previous employer.....

EDIT...The Web version of their Outlook Exchange that is...

Guest bennybot

There is also something called OMA (Outlook Mobile Access) for Smartphones. I have tried it on my Audiovox SMT5600 several times remotely and it works fine.

I'm personally not very familiar with setting OMA up, but it is an Exchange 2003 feature that you might be able to talk to your IT department about.

Ahh, you can do a quick search on Google for it off of Microsoft's site, or here it is:

http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/techinfo...outlook/OMA.asp

Thanks for the additional tips guys; I'll give these a try this week and leave a post if I have any success with Thunderhawk or OMA...

dava

First question - is your exchange server visible on the "public" internet, or do you have to VPN into your private network in order to "see" the server? If you can see machine on public internet, you *should* be able to use IE on the phone to browse there.. :?

So (assuming your IT dept won't let you activesync with the exchange server -- which is the absolute best way to set up email access from a smartphone/pocketpc), another approach that might work for you is to browse to the special WAP-like OMA interface on the exchange server (however, this may not be enabled...) http://yourexchangeserveraddresshere/oma

Note that OMA is different to OWA