Cases for the i-mate SP3i and T-Mobile SDA

Guest IT Troll

Guest IT Troll

Still searching for the ultimate case for your SP3i or SDA?

I thought I would start a thread to collate all the available options together.

i-mate Standard Case - £13.95

This is the leather horizontal case supplied as standard with the SP3i. It’s a good snug fit but the catch and belt loop are rather bulky. Also the corners of the phone are left exposed and would be vulnerable if dropped.

http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=115759

eXpansys B-6909 Medium Phone Pouch - £4.95

This pouch is included in the SP3i Value Pack from eXpansys. It is wider than it needs to be (although the neck opening is rather tight) and it’s also too short. This means that a portion of the phone remains exposed and the top flap doesn’t close correctly. Not a good option.

http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=113585

Nokia 6610 and Sony Ericcsson T68 Cases

I have read postings that “off the shelf” cases for these phones may be a good fit. No specific details though.

Piel Frama T-Mobile SDA Case - £35

These look to be very well made but come at a premium price and may be a little too “executive” for some people.

http://www.pielframa.com/sda.htm

Orange SPV C500 Action Pouch - £11.95

Nylon "sports" style case with caribiner and velcro straps. This is designed for the C500 but I suspect, due to the style, that it would fit the SP3i.

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/product/4077.htm

Krusell Verticalic Premium XS-Long (thanks kunst2)

Elegant generic leather case which should nicely fit the SP3i. Can be worn horizontally or vertically.

http://www.krusell.se/product.php?s=2&prodGrp=1&product=612

Krusell T-Mobile SDA Case - £11.95

Recently announced for the SDA, I can now confirm that this case will also fit the SP3i. The case is a very good tight fit - as with all the device specific Krusell cases.

However, it does have a couple of minor issues. Firstly, the Multidapt clip system does add a significant amount of bulk to the rear of the case and obscures the camera, which is annoying if you never plan to make use. Secondly, the hole for accessing the volume buttons has been fitted with the same clear plastic material used on the front if the case. This makes the volume buttons almost impossible to use and is strange as all of the other button holes on the case are just simple holes. Therefore I took out my craft knife and removed both the Multidapt system and the plastic covering on the volume control hole!

http://www.krusell.se/product.php?prodGrp=...=2&product=1850

Martin Fields Silicone Jacket for i-Mate SP3i (thanks dava)

A version of their silicone jacket was supposed to be available for the SP3i around the end January or early February. (still no sign of it on their website so the link currently points to the SP3 version)

http://www.martinfields.co.uk/productdec.a...%20SP3&pid=1752

BoxWave FlexiSkin for i-mate SP3i - $23.95

Looking very similar to the Martin Fields range of silicone jackets this case is available now. This frosted clear, anti-slip, form-fitting case offers protection from bumps and scratches. However the screen is left exposed and so will possibly need additional overlay protection.

This really is a fantastic case; it truly fits like a skin with everything lining up perfectly. The side buttons are covered with the FlexiSkin but in these areas the thickness has been specially reduced to make them easy to use. The front of the case is moulded to match the raised profile of the buttons, making them much easier to use compared to the Krusell case. However, the joystick is now more recessed which requires a little "re-training" in its use. The screen is now exposed so I have fitted a Martin Fields Overlay Plus Screen Protector (these seem to get better reviews than the BoxWave equivalent). I found that I always got dust accumulating between my screen and the inside of the plastic on my Krusell case; this shouldn’t be an issue with this exposed screen solution.

TOP TIP: The FlexiSkin is quite “sticky” when brand new which can make it behave like a dust magnet. Following a tip from another post, I washed and dried the FlexSkin with water and a mild detergent three times before fitting. This takes the edge off the new case stickiness.

http://www.boxwave.com/products/flexiskin/...te-sp3i_409.htm

post-18442-1105369417_thumb.jpg

post-18442-1105369444_thumb.jpg

post-18442-1105369455_thumb.jpg

post-18442-1116319581_thumb.jpg

Edited by IT Troll

• 1 month later...
Guest IT Troll

I emailed Martin Fields about their silicone jacket cases and they are working on a version specifically for the SP3i. It should be ready around the end January or early February.

• 3 months later...
Guest djpfine

Does the Krusell case include cutouts for the mic as well?

Does the Boxwave add a significant amount of bulk to the phone, and are the keys still easily useable through the material?

Are the Boxwave and Martin Fields cases basically the same thing? Why would you take one over the other?

Trying to decide between the three cases, and I want the case that offers the least amount of added bulk.

Edited by djpfine

Guest IT Troll
Does the Krusell case include cutouts for the mic as well?

No mic cutout on the Krusell but I haven't had any problems being heard. There is a cutout just below for the headset/usb ports.

Does the Boxwave add a significant amount of bulk to the phone, and are the keys still easily useable through the material?

I'll let you know when I get mine.

Are the Boxwave and Martin Fields cases basically the same thing? Why would you take one over the other?

I think they are basically the same thing, however I am not sure the Martin Fields branded one is currently available for the SP3i. I believe the SP3 version of these cases are identical.

Edited by IT Troll

Guest djpfine
No mic cutout on the Krusell but I haven't had any problems being heard. There is a cutout just below for the headset/usb ports.

I'll let you know when I get mine.

I think they are basically the same thing, however I am not sure the Martin Fields branded one is currently available for the SP3i. I believe the SP3 version of these cases are identical.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks IT Troll. Let me know what you think of the silicon jacket, as I really can't decide between that or the Krusell case. I was just about to buy the Krusell form-fit case until I read your comment about the multidapt system. Does the case basically have a non-removable belt clip attached to the back? Is it easy to cut out and remove with a knife without butchering the case?

And just to clarify, the Krusell SDA case should fit my SMT 5600 just fine, correct?

Edited by djpfine

Guest IT Troll
Does the case basically have a non-removable belt clip attached to the back? Is it easy to cut out and remove with a knife without butchering the case?

The Krusell mulidapt system is a clip which is attached to a large tab of leather on the back of the case. Normally this covers the camera lense so it hinges down to make is usable. This tab is stitched and glued in place but it is fairly easy to remove with minimal damage - see my photos.

And just to clarify, the Krusell SDA case should fit my SMT 5600 just fine, correct?

No. The SMT 5600 is based on the SP3 / C500 chasis. This post is for cases for the SP3i / SDA which has a slightly different chasis (most notably a joystick). However, there are versions of both these cases for your style of phone.

Guest djpfine
The Krusell mulidapt system is a clip which is attached to a large tab of leather on the back of the case. Normally this covers the camera lense so it hinges down to make is usable. This tab is stitched and glued in place but it is fairly easy to remove with minimal damage - see my photos.

No. The SMT 5600 is based on the SP3 / C500 chasis. This post is for cases for the SP3i / SDA which has a slightly different chasis (most notably a joystick). However, there are versions of both these cases for your style of phone.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks IT. I went to look at a Krusell case today, and you're spot on - the multidapt system on the back really adds a lot of unecessary bulk. If they removed that as well as the two snap buttons up top, you'd have one killer case! If only there were a local store here selling the Boxwave/Martin Fields skins...although at this point, it looks like those two are about as slim/form fitting as you're gonna get.

Guest MrDSL
Thanks IT. I went to look at a Krusell case today, and you're spot on - the multidapt system on the back really adds a lot of unecessary bulk. If they removed that as well as the two snap buttons up top, you'd have one killer case! If only there were a local store here selling the Boxwave/Martin Fields skins...although at this point, it looks like those two are about as slim/form fitting as you're gonna get.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am really considering getting the Krusell Verticalic Premium XS-Long for my smt-5600 and by looking at the dimensions I may be able to keep my silicon jacket still on..

My question or concern is the magnet that holds the flap. Does anyone know how secure it is? I plan on wearing it horizontally with the belt loop so its critical that this magnet doesn't pop open and drop my phone on the ground :cry:

Edited by MrDSL

Guest IT Troll

Updated main post with a mini-review and piccy of the BoxWave FlexiSkin which I just received. This is my new favourite case. ;)

Guest djpfine
Updated main post with a mini-review and piccy of the BoxWave FlexiSkin which I just received. This is my new favourite case.  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks IT. That's all I needed to hear. I've ordered the case and can't wait till it arrives ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest PPCPassion
Updated main post with a mini-review and piccy of the BoxWave FlexiSkin which I just received. This is my new favourite case.  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I also have Krusell case which I "dismantled" as shown in the pictures in the beginning of this thread. It was working fine but dust was still an issue. So after reading this thread, I ordered Flexiskin and screen protector from Boxwave. Screen protector I got is way too big for Audiovox SMT 5600 screen. Did yours from Martin Field's came pre-cut to the screen size or you had to trim it? I know it's a basic question but I have screwed up couple screen protectors in the past and trying to do right this time esp considering each screen protector cost almost $13 :oops:

Thanks

Guest IT Troll

My Martin Fields screen protector didn't require any trimming. The length is spot on, but it could actually do with being about a millimetre wider.

Reviews I read on the BoxWave protector mentioned great difficulty in removing trapped air bubbles. I didn't have any trouble in applying the Martin Fields. I do get some slight lifting in the extreme corners (I guess due to the curve of the screen) but this is hardly noticeable, especially when the backlight is on.

Edited by IT Troll

Guest PPCPassion
My Martin Fields screen protector didn't require any trimming. The length is spot on, but it could actually do with being about a millimetre wider.

Reviews I read on the BoxWave protector mentioned great difficulty in removing trapped air bubbles. I didn't have any trouble in applying the Martin Fields. I do get some slight lifting in the extreme corners (I guess due to the curve of the screen) but this is hardly noticeable, especially when the backlight is on.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks IT Troll. After I talked to Boxwave they claimed that wrong screen protector was sent to me?? They are going to ship the correct one. If that does not work, I'll order Martin Field's. Honestly, I have used Screen Prot from Boxwave for my last 5 pocket PCs and had good experience but not this time. On a different subject: You mentioned about washing Flexiskin cover 2-3 times to get rid of the dust issue. I know it may sound like a retarded question but did you let the case dry in between the washes? Reason I am asking is that I washed the case with mild soap and cold water, pat dry and re-washed again (within 5 minutes apart), flexiskin is still dust magnet. I am sure with few more washes probably, it would be fine but I really want to start using the case rather than washing it ;)

Thanks again for your reply.

Guest IT Troll

I washed the case three times using a little liquid washing-up detergent and warm water. In between each wash I patted dry with kitchen towel and allowed to air dry for a few minutes. Seemed to do the trick for me.

Once you start using the case on a day to day basis, the general stickiness reduces anyway. Still remains nice and grippy though.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest PPCPassion

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Tried Boxwave screen overlay for 2 weeks. I don't want to bad mouth any company but would HIGHLY recommend to stay away from it. Martin Field's work 10 times better. FlexSkin case is fine--although last week someone in my office asked me why do I have a condom on my phone..oh well, atleast it's functional.

• 10 months later...
Guest Buksa

;) T-Mobile SDA USA version not fit in Krusell T-Mobile SDA Case No 86182

i take knife and cut on the top but joystic key not fit in hole :P

Who know what case i can use ?