::Bulletproof Guide [Almost!] to ActiveSync and Bluetooth::

Guest gaplayer26

Guest jimanny

I am new here but I had to reply cause gaplayer26's guide solved it for me after hours of beating my head against the wall...

I was going about it backwards. The guide has you build the handshake ("pairing", "bonding", etc.) from the phone. I was doing it from the PC which automatically created 3 COM ports one of which was a Bluetooth modem. Then I didn't know which port to use in Activesync under Connection Settings > "Allow serial cable or infrared connection to this COM port:". After 4 hours my head was spinning! I was totally confused!

Garth has you initiate the connection from the phone so that the only thing needed on the PC is a single incoming port. Nice! Once the port is there and set under Connection Settings > "Allow serial cable or infrared connection to this COM port:", you should be ready to start the connection from the phone.

Another key item was getting the option to set the connection type to "Bluetooth" on the phone under Activesync > Menu > Options > 2 PC Settings > Menu > Advanced. Again, this was possible because the handshake was started from the phone instead of the PC.

Nice work Garth, thanks much!

- jimanny

Edited by jimanny

Guest lighthouse82

yeah, i too want to thank Garth very very much for solving the mystery for me. if only i had discovered your guide before i spent hours and hours tearing my hair out!!

Guest hicks

Thanks for that - I've had my phone for a couple of weeks and I was wondering why the hell I couldn't get it working. Seeing MSN and IE working on the broadband connection was fun :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest hicks

I can only echo the grateful replies above - your guide is easy to follow and makes connecting much easier. I'm sure I'm not alone in wondering why MS made it such an ordeal doing this in the first place...

Having an MS OS on the computer and MS OS on your phone, you would hope there would be a nice big shiny button in ActiveSync to press to do this all for you. Oh well, maybe next time. I am enjoying my first MS phone very much though, they are certainly not without their issues but are so powerful and flexible it makes it all worthwhile. Kind of like their desktop OS'

:D

• 3 weeks later...
Guest vulcun1

Hi,

Thanks for the manual! I thought my problem was finally solved but alas, I have to ask for more help!

My phone is an i-mate SP3 but the software (on the phone) is obviously different to what you describe in the manual. I can not set COM ports on the phone. (No option for that) The Active Sync software on the PC defaults to COM3. I made sure COM3 is available and also detected in the Blootooth Devices Setup under the "COM Ports" tab. When trying to find the PC from the phone, the phone detects the PC and requests a passkey. The PC requests the passkey as well. After a while the phone displays a message "ERROR: Your smartphone did not connect with COMPUTERNAME. The connection failed or the passkey is incorrect. (Same passkey entered on both devices - (grin...)) ;) The phone is loaded with Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition Version 4.21.1088 Build 14132, Radio version 1337.29.01_0.03.17.The PC is loaded with Active Sync Version 3.8.0 Build 5004 and the standard Windows XP Bluetooth Devices.

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated. I am considering changing the name form I-Mate to I-Hate ! :evil:

Cheers,

Herman

Guest yoda6

Thanks for the excellent guide. I followed it with my E200 and had no problems getting it up and running.

However, one problem I do have is a can now no longer use my Tomtom GPS receiver in any application! CamerAware crashes, SmartHiker says it has connected then disconnects straight away (< 1sec) and Mapopolis reports that COM7 is in use. It does not seem to matter whether the phone is connected via bluetooth to the PC via activesync or not. Can anybody suggest what is going on and how to fix it?

Thanks.

Guest yoda6
Thanks for the excellent guide. I followed it with my E200 and had no problems getting it up and running.

However, one problem I do have is a can now no longer use my Tomtom GPS receiver in any application! CamerAware crashes, SmartHiker says it has connected then disconnects straight away (< 1sec) and Mapopolis reports that COM7 is in use. It does not seem to matter whether the phone is connected via bluetooth to the PC via activesync or not. Can anybody suggest what is going on and how to fix it?

Thanks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok, well thanks for all the help but I managed to get it working myself in the end. Activesync via Bluetooth and Tomtom Bluetooth GPS both working fine and at the same time no less! Get in!!

Guest Confucious
Hi,

Thanks for the manual!  I thought my problem was finally solved but alas,  I have to ask for more help! 

My phone is an i-mate SP3 but the software (on the phone) is obviously different to what you describe in the manual. I can not set COM ports on the phone. (No option for that)  The Active Sync software on the PC defaults to COM3.  I made sure COM3 is available and also detected in the Blootooth Devices Setup under the "COM Ports" tab.  When trying to find the PC from the phone, the phone detects the PC and requests a passkey.  The PC requests the passkey as well.  After a while the phone displays a message "ERROR: Your smartphone did not connect with COMPUTERNAME. The connection failed or the passkey is incorrect. (Same passkey entered on both devices - (grin...)) ;)  The phone is loaded with Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition Version 4.21.1088 Build 14132, Radio version 1337.29.01_0.03.17.The PC is loaded with Active Sync Version 3.8.0 Build 5004 and the standard Windows XP Bluetooth Devices.

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated.  I am considering changing the name form I-Mate to I-Hate ! :evil:

Cheers,

Herman

What Com Port is the BT Modem showing as in the control panel? That is teh COM port youneed for ActivSync.

@yoda6 Glad to hear you got yours working OK.

Guest bretto

Hi All

I found this guide an excellent reference and it worked perfectly first time.

but...since I already had the widcomm software and drivers I decided to play about a bit.

One thing i noticed with using the microsoft xp sp2 bluetooth drivers is that the connection was only ever working correctly in one direction. From the e200 to the pc. That is to say I always had to connect and sync using the phone because it just wouldnt work from the pc.

After a clean installation of both my pc and e200 and following the updated information from dlink about installing the widcomm drivers on xp sp2 which effectively turns off the microsoft bluetooth devices, I find that I can sync in either direction perfectly and that I appear to have a greater connectable distance.

This is awesome for me because I use an evc++ development system and could never send files properly to my device unless I used the usb cable. Now I can ;)

Dont know if anyone else has experienced this also.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Liz

I had so many problems getting ActiveSync to work using Bluetooth that when I eventually did get it working, I decided to write a guide or 'how-to'. This will hopefully be useful to you all, as it would appear that I'm not the only one who struggled to get this working...

"The guide makes use of Windows XP SP2's native Bluetooth driver....."

Hi

I’ve read the guide (and many others!) but for the life of me I cannot find ANY Bluetooth drivers on my computer.

I have XP Professional with SP2 and have checked control panel (including under printers and every other option) but there is NO BT “consol”. I have followed many instructions – even deleted my phone (MPX220) via device manager – but when I reconnect the phone I just get “your device has been successfully installed” (tried with BT off/on and “detectable”) but NO BT consol appears. If I use “search/bthprops.cpl” I can find the files in SP2 – but cannot get them to run or install. Have also tried using “run” but that doesn’t work either. ;)

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Liz

Guest Confucious

If you have thprops.cpl then you should have a BT Devices icon in the Control panel.

Are you signed on as an Administrator?

Guest Liz
If you have thprops.cpl then you should have a BT Devices icon in the Control panel.

Are you signed on as an Administrator?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi

Yes I'm signed as administrator. Still no BT devices in control panel......I have my computer quite locked down - no file/print share and guest account disabled, I'm wondering if this may be a problem?

Liz

Guest Confucious

I don't believe so, .cpl files should all show in the Control panel unless you have deliberatly selected not to show them (which IIRC you need a tweaks program to do). is it in the same directory as all your othe .cpl files? (s/be Windows\system32)

Guest Liz
I don't believe so, .cpl files should all show in the Control panel unless you have deliberatly selected not to show them (which IIRC you need a tweaks program to do). is it in the same directory as all your othe .cpl files? (s/be Windows\system32)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes - its in the Win\system32 folder.

Liz

Guest Confucious

Having just re-read your original post I realise that you are looking at your control panel in the categoryview (sorry, the first thing I do is change it to "clasic" view).

Try changing to Clasic view and all the icons are in alphabetical order.

One other thing I've just thought of - you do have a BT adaptor on the PC you are trying to connect to, don't you?

Guest Liz
Having just re-read your original post I realise that you are looking at your control panel in the categoryview (sorry, the first thing I do is change it to "clasic" view).

Try changing to Clasic view and all the icons are in alphabetical order.

One other thing I've just thought of - you do have a BT adaptor on the PC you are trying to connect to, don't you?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi

No - I’m in classic view…

Oh…. Errrmmm….what’s a BT adaptor?????? :oops: and how do I get one?

Liz

Guest Confucious
Hi

No - I’m in classic view…

Oh…. Errrmmm….what’s a BT adaptor?????? :oops: and how do I get one?

Liz

PC's don't come with Built in BT as a rule (some laptops do). If you can't see BT anywhere on your PC chances are it's because your PC doesn't have BT so you will need to buy a BT dongle (something like this http://www.scancom.co.uk/product.php/56/9/...1ee4167ef760857 )

HTH

Guest Liz
PC's don't come with Built in BT as a rule (some laptops do). If you can't see BT anywhere on your PC chances are it's because your PC doesn't have BT so you will need to buy a BT dongle (something like this http://www.scancom.co.uk/product.php/56/9/...1ee4167ef760857 )

HTH

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I feel Sooooo stupid :oops: :oops: :oops: ………..

Many Thanks ;) ;)

Liz (laughing at idiot self!)

Guest Confucious

Don't feel stupid, everything's simple when you know the answer! Check out my sig for my views on the subject. I often ask questions which other people might think are obvious and I don't think I'm any more stupid than most ;)

Good luck.

Guest Liz
Don't feel stupid, everything's simple when you know the answer! Check out my sig for my views on the subject. I often ask questions which other people might think are obvious and I don't think I'm any more stupid than most ;)

Good luck.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Confucious ;) I'm still giggling at the days and days I've spent loooking round the computer, windows KB and help forums trying to find out why I had no BT icon :roll: and the answer was sooo simple. :P Now I'll go looking to find out the differences - have searched and found prices vary from just a few £ to £20/30 - must be a difference?

I'll check the forum - prob'ly a topic on it someware.

More Thanks ;)

Liz

Guest Confucious
Thanks Confucious  ;) I'm still giggling at the days and days I've spent loooking round the computer, windows KB and help forums trying to find out why I had no BT icon  :roll: and the answer was sooo simple.  :P Now I'll go looking to find out the differences - have searched and found prices vary from just a few £ to £20/30 - must be a difference?

I'll check the forum - prob'ly a topic on it someware.

More Thanks ;)

Liz

The phone only suports 10m range (not 100m) so a cheap one will do fine (I just bought the cheapest I could find). The link I gave you would be fine unless you can find cheaper elsewhere.

Have fun ;)

Guest Liz
The phone only suports 10m range (not 100m) so a cheap one will do fine (I just bought the cheapest I could find). The link I gave you would be fine unless you can find cheaper elsewhere.

Have fun ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Geesh....just clicked on a Belkin F8T001 Bluetooth USB Adaptor to buy it - lucky I checked your last post first! Its a 100m one - I thought that would be better!

Yet-More-Thanks! ;) you just saved me £30! Will go get the one you suggested...

Liz