::Bulletproof Guide [Almost!] to ActiveSync and Bluetooth::

Guest gaplayer26

Guest Confucious
i am having problems with the config of my bt serial ports on the bt control panl ( xp sp2) i can only setup comm ports going up from COM30 & in activesync on the drop down box the only options i can get is COM4 & infared...any ideas...help

Why ask a question that has been answered on page 1 of this thread? Can't you be bothered to look for answers befor posting?

Guest chrisbpr
Why ask a question that has been answered on page 1 of this thread? Can't you be bothered to look for answers befor posting?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thats for the sarcastic reply...thats why my staus is newbie.

anyway i'll give that a go...ta

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jonhguth

haha i finally got fed up with mine a returned the dongle

got a mobile card reader instead, i guess eventually i'll try to set it up again

Guest nvkid909

ra!

super super super super MODACO

brilliant! i was very aprehensive about doing this, as before i was using XTND connect blue (widcomm bluetooth) with my old moto v600, & it worked for file transfers to my c500 spv.

so i remove the entire xtnd prog from my pc :cry: BUT when i plug the dongle back in the windows bluetooth returned. great.

i read all the guides on here it seems its a bit trial & error for people. it seems in sp2 everything is there.

i went & deleted my old moto modem list, deleted any previous pairings on phone AND pc, changed the com port numbers to 6&7.... so i got a clean slate, bond from the phone & then connect partner from it too. dead chuffed ;)

edit: oh yes, when i disconnect activesync, go into bt settings> devices> properties> services, i notice you can enable dun / serial from there

Edited by nvkid909

Guest mattie01

i just thought i'd let you guys know that this guie works for activesync 4 and a c500 running wm5.

there are a couple of commands and settings that are either missing or in a slightly different place, but anytime there was a missing part i just skipped it.

like the part where turning on com 6 and 7 on the phone i just skipped that part but it still synced up fine. the funny part being that to sync via the cable i need to turn off the firewall but i can happy sync via bt with the firewall on LOL

good job

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Steviecooluk
========================================

Released.......[18 December 2004]

Updated........[Never]

Version........[1.0]

Typo's?........[Plenty!]

========================================

Hi,

I had so many problems getting ActiveSync to work using Bluetooth that when I eventually did get it working, I decided to write a guide or 'how-to'.  This will hopefully be useful to you all, as it would appear that I'm not the only one who struggled to get this working...

The guide makes use of Windows XP SP2's native Bluetooth driver and the Orange SPV C500.  Your mileage will vary.

Screenshots are included in the guide [document is in .pdf format].  This is the 'pretty picture version' - I'll look at releasing a text version here - later...

>> DOWNLOAD THE GUIDE HERE <<

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wonder if there's a bulletproof guide for those using Widcomm bluetooth software and Cambridge Silicon Radio Bluetooth dongle, for me to be able to Activesync via bluetooth?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest geordiesi

Ok had an spv e200 couldn't get bt working properly bought my son a c500 same problems now got myself a c500 which is slightly different to my sons c500 ie menu options are different ( no com ports option in bt set up on older c500 to mention just one difference) I have followed the bulletproof guide to a T but falls on its face when trying to find the com 6 and com 7 selection page it just isnt there. i have come across this page on e200 but can't find it anymore and anyway c500 is definately different to e200. any help would be appreciated. also does this help cure the problem of the obex file push thingy that windows says is the problem when trying to bt files from pc to c500 and not finding pc when sending file from c500 to pc. help help help

Simon

Edit...... read above and decided to go ahead without the "com 6 com 7 screen" and wow i am synching with bt. cheers for the tutorial but is anyone able to shine a light on why when trying to send a file over bluetooth (not via active sync) from pc to phone = obex file push problem. and from phone to pc via resco explorer 2003 latest release the phone just carries on searching wether recieve file is enabled on bluetooth on pc or not. i read a post on here wich says to click my bluetooth places either on desktop start menu or control pannel then further steps to enable obex but this icon seems to have no function whatsoever. how do i get obex file push to work. any search on internet for obex seems to return only the same queery i have. please help ta. also bluetooth seems to have no function phone to phone when using spvs.????

Edited by geordiesi

• 2 weeks later...
Guest wardseward

I'm using Widcomm drivers and this guide helped, but still required a little figuring out.

Anyway, I got the setup working (PC xp2 & Audiovox5600) and everything synced all day just fine. But, the next day I came back into work and it would no longer sync. I went in and removed the pair on both the phone and the PC. Repaired them and it worked again. The next day... didn't work again. Unpaired and repaired the devices and it worked again.. and the loop goes on and on.

Anyone have any pointers for me so that I don't have to keep resetting everything everyday?

Ward

Hi,

I had so many problems getting ActiveSync to work using Bluetooth that when I eventually did get it working, I decided to write a guide or 'how-to'.  This will hopefully be useful to you all, as it would appear that I'm not the only one who struggled to get this working...

The guide makes use of Windows XP SP2's native Bluetooth driver and the Orange SPV C500.  Your mileage will vary.

Screenshots are included in the guide [document is in .pdf format].  This is the 'pretty picture version' - I'll look at releasing a text version here - later...

>> DOWNLOAD THE GUIDE HERE <<

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The link to the guide doesn't work anymore!! Can someone repost it here again? I'm getting desperate trying to get my SPV C500 to synv over bluetooth!

Thanks!!

Guest geordiesi

Active Sync over bluetooth pc/c500 ok

Send contacts from c500 to c500 over bluetooth ok

Send appointments from c500 to c500 over bluetooth ok

Send contacts from c500 to pc over bluetooth ok

Send appointments from c500 to pc over bluetooth ok

Send contacts from pc to c500 over bluetooth ok

Send appointments from pc to c500 over bluetooth ok

Send any file from pc to c500 over bluetooth ok

Send a file (not vcal/vcard) from c500 to pc or c500 to c500 ???? if anyone can help please post here. nb using resco explorer 2003 to attempt to push from c500 to pc or c500 and enabling recieve file on pc in bluetooth. Com ports are set up as much as i can ie in and out on both c500's and pc. ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

c500 to c500 finds device but fails to use obex

c500 to pc does not find pc. wether pc is connected synced paired bonded friend or foe nothing.

Cheers Simon

Guest gaplayer26
The link to the guide doesn't work anymore!! Can someone repost it here again? I'm getting desperate trying to get my SPV C500 to synv over bluetooth!

Thanks!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Link is back up again....

:)

• 4 weeks later...

This guide finally made it work with Activesync and BT. Thanks!! :)

I could not figure out why I some times had a lot of trouble when starting up the laptop and get lots of messages that the COM port is not responding and if I want to disconnect the com port from activesync. Then lots of hassle before they "hook up" again.

Seems the problem is that I have not always put the BT dongle in the same USB port. If I changed the usb port, activesync did not understand what was going on.

Is MS going to make it more user-friendly to use Activesync and BT in any new version (Im using activesync 3.8).

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Bikerboy

Another thank you from a grateful user of your guide.

I too have spent months trying to make activesync work on BT - and have never suceeded. Then your guide - and it all works perfectly, finally free of the wires!!!

PS: One thing I'm not clear about: is the cup of coffee optional or a requirement to make the thing work???

:>

Guest gaplayer26
PS: One thing I'm not clear about: is the cup of coffee optional or a requirement to make the thing work???

:>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Optional, but required for you own sanity! :)

Just to let you know, this brilliant guide also works with a C550 and Activesync 3.7.1 :)

Any ideeas on using the internet through this? everytime i try to connect to a webpage on my phone it says the page is unavailable :cry: :?:

Guest gaplayer26
Just to let you know, this brilliant guide also works with a C550 and Activesync 3.7.1  :o

Any ideeas on using the internet through this? everytime i try to connect to a webpage on my phone it says the page is unavailable  :cry:  :?:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think you need to set the connection type to 'passthrough' for it to work.

Great easy to follow guide. I have aproblem though...

On my C500, when I try to add a COM port, 'New Outgoing Port' is greyed out, and thus I can not check it.

Does anyone know how to sort this?

Thanks in advance

Guest gaplayer26
Great easy to follow guide.  I have aproblem though...

On my C500, when I try to add a COM port, 'New Outgoing Port' is greyed out, and thus I can not check it.

Does anyone know how to sort this?

Thanks in advance

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you logged on to the PC as an administrator?

Guest gaplayer26
No.  But wouldn't be something to do with my phone if this setting isn't available?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It might do, but I'd try login as an administrator and try as well...

Ok, so that will be my downfall. I am using a work laptop and so I have very little rights, let alone administrative ones. Will try on home pc to see if it works there.

Cheers for your comments

Guest sixonenine619

tite.... Finally got my bluetooth working correctly. Great FAQ. works nearly exactly the same for my SMT 5600. Just dont select the phones incoming and outgoing ports.

Help! :o

I am really new to bluetooth... and I have just baught a bluetooth dongle... I have tried to follow your guide but I cannot find this 'Microsoft Bluetooth Driver', I downloaded the auto update it recommended but it gives me no Bluetooth icon bottom right, or anything saying my dongle is connected.

I have also tried adding my bluetooth driver which came with the dongle but that is nothing like what you show in the screenshots so I cant add a device.

I would REALLY appreciate some help with this!

Thank You,

Chris.

[EDIT]

So basically I am stuck on this first step, i cant do anything!

Edited by Fu§ed