::Bulletproof Guide [Almost!] to ActiveSync and Bluetooth::

Guest gaplayer26

Guest kelvinthang

Hi All,

I am new here...i own a dopod 577w and i cant seem to be able to synchronise my phone with microsoft activesync using a bluetooth usb dongle. Please advice and help. Thank You Very Much.

Kelvin

• 1 month later...
Guest brettrigby
========================================

Released.......[18 December 2004]

Updated........[Never]

Version........[1.0]

Typo's?........[Plenty!]

========================================

Hi,

I had so many problems getting ActiveSync to work using Bluetooth that when I eventually did get it working, I decided to write a guide or 'how-to'. This will hopefully be useful to you all, as it would appear that I'm not the only one who struggled to get this working...

The guide makes use of Windows XP SP2's native Bluetooth driver and the Orange SPV C500. Your mileage will vary.

Screenshots are included in the guide [document is in .pdf format]. This is the 'pretty picture version' - I'll look at releasing a text version here - later...

>> DOWNLOAD THE GUIDE HERE <<

Hey guys,

I have come across an SPV M500 recently myself and found your link above to the guide to get the bluetooth working... but the link doesn't work for me. This is the error that I get...

Warning: main(/hsphere/local/home/gaplayer/psychoman.co.uk/forum/Sources/QueryString.php) [function.main]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /hsphere/local/home/gaplayer/psychoman.co.uk/forum/index.php on line 47

Fatal error: main() [function.require]: Failed opening required '/hsphere/local/home/gaplayer/psychoman.co.uk/forum/Sources/QueryString.php' (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /hsphere/local/home/gaplayer/psychoman.co.uk/forum/index.php on line 47

Is it possible that someone could either fix the link, or upload another copy of it so that I can stop ripping the hair outta my head in trying to get this to work?

Many thanks,

Brett Rigby

• 2 weeks later...
Guest gaplayer26
Hey guys,

I have come across an SPV M500 recently myself and found your link above to the guide to get the bluetooth working... but the link doesn't work for me. This is the error that I get...

Warning: main(/hsphere/local/home/gaplayer/psychoman.co.uk/forum/Sources/QueryString.php) [function.main]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /hsphere/local/home/gaplayer/psychoman.co.uk/forum/index.php on line 47

Fatal error: main() [function.require]: Failed opening required '/hsphere/local/home/gaplayer/psychoman.co.uk/forum/Sources/QueryString.php' (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /hsphere/local/home/gaplayer/psychoman.co.uk/forum/index.php on line 47

Is it possible that someone could either fix the link, or upload another copy of it so that I can stop ripping the hair outta my head in trying to get this to work?

Many thanks,

Brett Rigby

Hello, I've updated this post and the guide is available again at: http://www.psychoman.co.uk/btautosync/

Click on the Bluetooth and ActiveSync Guide icon.

Garth

• 5 weeks later...
Guest lapimate
...A problem lots of people face is where the incoming port on the PC is allocated a port number > 9 as ActiveSync will not recognise it. To change it Under Control Panel -> Phone and Modem Options-> Modem select "Standard Modem over BlueTooth link", click properties->Advanced tab click " Advanced Port Settings" select the drop down box for Port number. ...

Above you mention "Standard Modem over BlueTooth link". Does not ActiveSync use a "Standard Serial over Bluetooth link" port (found under DM>Ports), not a "modem" port? (An "Incoming" port from the PC's point-of-view.)

Here's a related reference: What to check if Bluetooth COM ports are not in the COM1 through COM9 range and ActiveSync can't see them http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?Forum...amp;TopicId=422

And a some more general references: The Geekzone Bluetooth Guides http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=449

Edited by lapimate

Guest Confucious
Above you mention "Standard Modem over BlueTooth link". Does not ActiveSync use a "Standard Serial over Bluetooth link" port (found under DM>Ports), not a "modem" port? (An "Incoming" port from the PC's point-of-view.)

No, When I wrote that 2 1/2 years ago it used a modem link.

• 3 months later...

No, When I wrote that 2 1/2 years ago it used a modem link.

I'd like to add my thanks for the great guide on how to set up BT sync! The only problem I met was with com ports.

My bluetooth dongle and other usb devices including infrared find themselves on different usb connections from time to time. When I tried to set up the BT sync I noticed that everytime I took the BT dongle in and out of the usb port I would get another com port. So I checked and found that I had about 20 unused com ports for BT and IR which caused the issue for me of having a port number not listed by ActiveSync.

My quick & dirty solution was to go to Control Panel | System | Hardware tab | Device Manager | expand Ports, and then to remove the lot of them by right-clicking | uninstall. When I say the lot of them I mean of the "Standard Serial over Bluetooth link (COMn)" (which I think answers the question of lapimate) and the extra infrared ports. The next time I insrted the BT dongle into usb I got a nicely acceptable port number of 8 without the need of manually assigning it and getting a cleaner computer into the bargain.

Just a small word of caution for the users of MyMobiler (an otherwise great piece of free software to operate the smartphone from the pc): After my first successful sync over BT I tested the range by walking out of it. From that moment on I could not reconnect until by chance I noticed MyMobiler's efforts to connect automatically. As soon as I turned off MyMobiler BT ActiveSync worked again. So no auto-connect for MyMobiler anymore! It might be the same with any other software that tries to connect between pc and phone at the same time as ActiveSync.

EDIT: After every time the phone has been out of range or the pc or phone have rebooted I have to set up the whole BT sync thing again. Too much hassle for achieving a range that an extended usb cable can match. Goodbye bluetooth sync!

Edited by ewel

• 1 month later...
Guest darkstoner

HEYLO person

have you come accross the issue where your device (mine being a tmobile dash) decides, "HEY, bt syncing WASN'T cool. i don't want to do it any more so i'm just going to list a serial port and not let you even TRY sync over the bt."

it's being A DIRTY LITTLE BASTUD!!!!

im suuurrly over this... heheh i like that word.

ok back to the point.

i've read that the simplest way to fix this is to hard reset your phone to default. (reflash rom and all (incase i used the wrong "term"))

well, in saying that and assuming there's not a better way.... is there any way to just clean out all the activesync info on the device so i don't have to re-installe my mobile OS? because we all know that's the last thing you really want to do... unless your one of those cool people who backup every bloody piece of software you ever installed on the phone.... pim, and everything... i ... i haven't.

Guest zachto_man
Ok, I have a useful tidbit to add to this.

I couldn't get my phone to initiate a pair with my PC (XP sp2) using a 4 digit key. Never had a problem using that length of a password before but appearently you need an 8 digit PW.

Suffice it to say, as soon as I made the phone initiate the pair with an 8 digit key and added the incoming com port - it works perfectly! For whatever reason, the pair initiated by the desktop isn't able to make BT Activesync work.

And I'm using a $13 USD BT adapter I bought from Newegg.com - I believe it's a BT 1.2 class adapter and I'm getting reliable connections 50 feet away through two thick walls!

Many thanks jcostantino.

I've been beating my head against the wall for two days trying to get the bluetooth activesync(also xp sp2) working and your tip about the 8 digit key did the trick.

I had been trying a 6 digit key which was the minimum specified on the bluetooth connect window of my wm6 Kaiser(what can I say, I'm lazy).

Brilliant now that it is working because with USB I had to disable my firewall (free zonealarm) and go off line to sync. Using bluetooth I can continue to surf.

Cheers and thanks again.