::Bulletproof Guide [Almost!] to ActiveSync and Bluetooth::

Guest gaplayer26

Guest Confucious
Geesh....just clicked on a Belkin F8T001 Bluetooth USB Adaptor to buy it - lucky I checked your last post first! Its a 100m one - I thought that would be better!

Yet-More-Thanks!  ;) you just saved me £30! Will go get the one you suggested...

Liz

And I just saved you from buying a Belkin product - Bargepoles always spring to mind when I see that name ;)

Guest drevil

Dammed if I could get it to work, phoned Orange they said even they couldn't get it to work, so hoping next rom update will do the job

Guest Confucious
Dammed if I could get it to work, phoned Orange they said even they couldn't get it to work, so hoping next rom update will do the job

The new ROM will make no difference AFAIK.

If you follow this guide it should work. What happens when you try?

Guest Chiz

I am trying to follow Garth guide but am not getting very far at all.

The window he shows popping up with the devices tab does not show on mine. I click on the BT icon in the system tray and it just takes me to "My Bluetooth places"

This does not give any of the headings in the guide.

How can I find windows BT manager?

Can anyone help me with this one?

Thanks

Chiz

Edited by Chiz

Guest Chiz
Start>Control panel>BT Devices is where you should be looking, not the BT icon in the system tray.

HTH

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Confucious, but I don't have a BT Devices icon to select.

Are there any others it could be within?

Guest Confucious

Are you in Category view? (Sorry, I always use "classic view") in which case it's Start>Control panel>Network and Internet connections>BT Devices

Guest Chiz
Are you in Category view? (Sorry, I always use "classic view") in which case it's Start>Control panel>Network and Internet connections>BT Devices

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks again and sorry to be a pain but in both views I can see BT devices.

I am 99% sure I have SP2, could that cause the problem?

Is there any other way to get to the correct arrear to start using the BT Activesync quide?

Guest Confucious
Thanks again and sorry to be a pain but in both views I can see BT devices.

I am 99% sure I have SP2, could that cause the problem?

Is there any other way to get to the correct arrear to start using the BT Activesync quide?

Do you mean you CAN'T see BT Devices?

This guide is for SP2, things are different if you haven't got it.

Right cick on "My Computer" and select properties, this will tell you if you have SP2.

If you dn't have SP2 then you need to install the drivers that came with your BT dongle. What make is your dongle?

Guest drevil
The new ROM will make no difference AFAIK.

If you follow this guide it should work. What happens when you try?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I never seem to get the "Bluetooth" option under the connection type, USB and the modem speeds appear but never Bluetooth.......

Guest Confucious
I never seem to get the "Bluetooth" option under the connection type, USB and the modem speeds appear but never Bluetooth.......

Leave it as USB it doesn't matter.

Guest scrattyrat

Hi, great guide - eventually got activesync with bt working. Id been trying to use the software that came with my bt dongle for file transfer and it was absolute rubbish and wouldnt work. It didnt even occur to me to use the native bt settings in wondows.

So - i can now activesync via bt, however since i have that working i cant connect through usb. Doh!!

When i plug the cable in it doesnt even charge the phone anymore (which is a major problem as i dont have a mains charger yet and have to charge through usb).

Any suggestions?

The phones activesync/options/pc settings/advanced settings shows usb as the connection type, and the pc's active sync connection settings have 'allow usb connection' enabled.

When setting up bt activesync from the guide i did have the 'allow usb connection' disabled as it said, but hace since re-enabled the option and rebooted pc and phone with no joy.

cheers

--EDIT--

Got usb AND bt working with activesync now (and i can charge my phone again too!) by deleteing all partnerships and following the guide again, but leaving 'allow usb connection' enabled in the pc's active sync settings when i got to the part about disabling activesync com ports in the guide. Phew

Edited by scrattyrat

Guest Liz

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi

Do you have a BT adaptor? sounds like you dont....that was my problem......

Liz

Guest Chiz
Do you mean you CAN'T see BT Devices?

This guide is for SP2, things are different if you haven't got it.

Right cick on "My Computer" and select properties, this will tell you if you have SP2.

If you dn't have SP2 then you need to install the drivers that came with your BT dongle. What make is your dongle?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, I can't see BT devices.

I will have a look at the My Computer properties tonight.

I will give the drivers on the CD a go if I don't have SP2. The reason I am not sure about the SP2 bit is that someone else set it up for me.

It is a Belkin 100m USB adaptor. I think I read earlier that you are not a Bargepole fan.

Thanks for the help.

Chiz

Guest Chiz
Yes, I can't see BT devices.

I will have a look at the My Computer properties tonight.

I will give the drivers on the CD a go if I don't have SP2.  The reason I am not sure about the SP2 bit is that someone else set it up for me.

It is a Belkin 100m USB adaptor.  I think I read earlier that you are not a Bargepole fan.

Thanks for the help.

Chiz

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok, I've checked and it looks like I have SP1.

I tried to get drivers from Belkin CD and can locate them but gives different message than shown in maual (doesn't mention usb just bt)

Went to the end of it and it seemed to install something.

When I look in device manager it does show something in drivers.

Any other ideas, not doing too well here.

Thanks for all your help

Guest Confucious

The guide is for SP2 which has built in BT support, most BT Dongles are supplied with Widcomm drivers which work fine with SP1 but you have a Belkin dongle so god knows how to get that working. Sorry, unless someone else has a Belkin device and can help you're on you own.

Why on earth have you not upgraded to SP2?

Guest Chiz
The guide is for SP2 which has built in BT support, most BT Dongles are supplied with Widcomm drivers which work fine with SP1 but you have a Belkin dongle so god knows how to get that working. Sorry, unless someone else has a Belkin device and can help you're on you own.

Why on earth have you not upgraded to SP2?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok, can Belkin be a problem then?

Hadn't upgraded as thought I had it. Didn't know what difference it made.

Thanks for all your help.

I will post how I got it working if I do.

Downloading SP2 tomorrow.

Guest Chiz
Hadn't upgraded as thought I had it.  Didn't know what difference it made.

Downloading SP2 tomorrow.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Right, all sorted now. Followed the guide and can now sync the phone.

Should have understood I did not have SP2 from the begining, would have saved alot of time.

Now I have it working I am not sure of the usefulness of it but I am sure I will find one.

Thanks to Garth for the guide and Confuncious for the help.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jcostantino

Ok, I have a useful tidbit to add to this.

I couldn't get my phone to initiate a pair with my PC (XP sp2) using a 4 digit key. Never had a problem using that length of a password before but appearently you need an 8 digit PW.

Suffice it to say, as soon as I made the phone initiate the pair with an 8 digit key and added the incoming com port - it works perfectly! For whatever reason, the pair initiated by the desktop isn't able to make BT Activesync work.

And I'm using a $13 USD BT adapter I bought from Newegg.com - I believe it's a BT 1.2 class adapter and I'm getting reliable connections 50 feet away through two thick walls!

Guest Confucious
Ok, I have a useful tidbit to add to this.

I couldn't get my phone to initiate a pair with my PC (XP sp2) using a 4 digit key. Never had a problem using that length of a password before but appearently you need an 8 digit PW.

Suffice it to say, as soon as I made the phone initiate the pair with an 8 digit key and added the incoming com port - it works perfectly! For whatever reason, the pair initiated by the desktop isn't able to make BT Activesync work.

And I'm using a $13 USD BT adapter I bought from Newegg.com - I believe it's a BT 1.2 class adapter and I'm getting reliable connections 50 feet away through two thick walls!

I have never used anything except a 4 digit key for any BT device!

Interesting that you're getting a good connection at that distance I believed it was impossible! Just had a look at Newegg and they have various adaptors, couldn't see one for $13 though. Which one is it? I might see if I can source one here in the UK if it's that good!

Cheers ;)

Guest jcostantino

I thought you could use a 4 digit key as well but every time I went to make the phone initiate the pair, Windows wouldn't tell me it wanted the passkey entered. It finally did when I used an 8 digit key. After that, it worked on the first try w/o problem.

Here's the link: Link!

It's $22 w/ a $10 rebate but the shipping out of the US will probably negate any savings. I would think you could find it locally if you looked hard enough, it's the Zonet ZUB6101C.

I quite literally was synching, browsing and installing software via bluetooth to my computer which was 50 feet away with 1 concrete and 1 drywall wall in the way. This adapter is BT Class 1 instead of Class 2, that makes 10x difference (300m over 30m range).

Of course my Moto BT headset still has weak audio but it's better than it was with my V551.

jeff

I have never used anything except a 4 digit key for any BT device!

Interesting that you're getting a good connection at that distance I believed it was impossible! Just had a look at Newegg and they have various adaptors, couldn't see one for $13 though. Which one is it? I might see if I can source one here in the UK if it's that good!

Cheers  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Edited by jcostantino

Guest Confucious

I quite literally was synching, browsing and installing software via bluetooth to my computer which was 50 feet away with 1 concrete and 1 drywall wall in the way. This adapter is BT Class 1 instead of Class 2, that makes 10x difference (300m over 30m range).

Isn't it 100m rather than 10m (300Ft rather than 30ft)?

I was lead to believe that it makes no difference as the phone is only class 2 but 50 feet is out of range for class 2 without a wall!

Obviously I was misinformed (and unfortunately I have passed that mis-information on to others.

I shall try and source a cheap class 1 device in the UK and try it myself.

Thanks for the info. ;)

I wonder if Class 1 uses an 8 digit key? I've never come across that before but then I've only ever used class 2.

Guest jcostantino

I used to have a Sony/Ericsson T68i and the bluetooth (even class 2) had pretty good range of about 40 ft unobstructed. I just went with the class 1 BT because it was really only a couple bucks more. I may have some kind of oddball that gets excellent range so don't go 100% off of me.

It is odd about the key though.. my Mac doesn't care how long the key is, the XP BT help doesn't mention a minimum size (at least I don't recall seeing it).. oh well, one more variable removed from the equation.

Isn't it 100m rather than 10m (300Ft rather than 30ft)?

I was lead to believe that it makes no difference as the phone is only class 2 but 50 feet is out of range for class 2 without a wall!

Obviously I was misinformed (and unfortunately I have passed that mis-information on to others.

I shall try and source a cheap class 1 device in the UK and try it myself.

Thanks for the info. ;)

I wonder if Class 1 uses an 8 digit key? I've never come across that before but then I've only ever used class 2.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest Confucious

Well, I've just ordered one - same make as yours but different model number, cost £20 incl P&P - a bit mor than your $13 !

I'll let you know how it compares to what I've already got and also if it needs an 8 digit passcode.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest chrisbpr

i am having problems with the config of my bt serial ports on the bt control panl ( xp sp2) i can only setup comm ports going up from COM30 & in activesync on the drop down box the only options i can get is COM4 & infared...any ideas...help