C500 keeps establishing GPRS connection!

Guest iainp999

Guest iainp999

Hi,

When my C500 is switched on, the little "G" symbol keeps replacing the antennae symbol in the top right of the screen. Obviously this is a little concerning since I don't want a hefty bill at the end of the month.

I don't have any apps running. Any idea what's doing this? Is this costing me money?!?!?

I keep using the "Disconnect GPRS" function but the symbol keeps coming back.

Cheers,

Iain

Guest Phil Lee

I had that happen this morning for the first time too. It started connecting at about 8am and stopped trying to connect a little after 9am. In that time no data was transmitted so I don't know what was going on.

My 5600 has always done that since I've had it. If I use any type of data connection, the G will stay there for a long time, even after hitting the hang-up button. I'd someone talk about this one, I have to fun around the different sites again.

Guest mavisdavis

your not recieving picture messages are you and not got the relevent plug in on your homescreen to show you have a new picture message. this happened to me few times before i realised what it was doing :)

your not recieving picture messages are you and not got the relevent plug in on your homescreen to show you have a new picture message. this happened to me few times before i realised what it was doing :)

Well, i'm not sure if it's picture messages .. BUT .. I've been spammed by 'O2_WA' today, 156 text message .. all blank from 'O2_WA' (this is on my secondary sim which has no credit). It keeps on connecting to gprs (not sure how but Imeter detects it's connected). My battery actually got ran down by the amount of texts I recieved and went dead. I do occasionaly get the odd text from 'O2_WA' sent to my other sim, but i'm not actually sure what it is. Anybody else had the same thing happen to them?

Guest Darkwun

I'm on o2 and it started happening to me yesterday i sent myself an mms from my other phone and it came through fine but still kept trying to connect. the only thing i can think of is to hard reset it the phone once i have time to back up everything then i'll try and see if it makes any difference

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Also experienced same problem twice. Once on 23rd December. Noticed in morning that the little G was randomly coming and going. Data counter was on 7h 30m. I have only once ever looked at a webpage for about 15 sec (a month prior). No email set up on phone. No applications running. Not solved by turn off/on.

Spoke to orange. They said there were no data calls unbilled. After a day it stopped and I thought nothing more. Data counter was static then at 7:30.

Until this morning. Noticed little G again, data counter now on 9h 48m. Spoke to orange. Said can't see unbilled calls and suggested turn off, battery out, sim out and then replace after 5 min. Did that with no success.

Couple hours later contacted orange again. Said there was data billed from last (December) time but only 0.13MB at 33p at 0234 hrs (!!). They suggested deleting the Orange GPRS entry from data connections which I did. Then in the next 5 minutes I get 6 messages onscreen saying 'Confirm - Unable to connect using your default connection. Attempt using Orange WAP instead?'

Spoke to orange again (level 2 person this time!!). Suggested either hard reset or send phone in for investigation. Opted for hard reset as I use for work also. As of now seems to have worked but all are at a loss as to what is connecting.

Of interest, one of the guys I spoke to at orange said he had a C500 that did exactly the same thing and he sent it to tech support and their reply was that it is normal for C500's and that customers should not be billed!!!

We shall see what happens!!

Anybody else any feedback??

Cheers

Andy

PS - I note that we are not alone with problems.

http://www.modaco.com/index.php?showtopic=198349

http://www.modaco.com/index.php?showtopic=198928

http://forums.attwireless.com/attws/board/...&message.id=935

http://www.modaco.com/index.php?showtopic=198629

Orange C500 ROM 4.1.1.4

Edited by andyp

That's awful. I am worried now.

I don't know what to say...... What have orange suggested??

Do OfCom cover mobiles aswell as BT phones??

What about the BBC Watchdog program. There seem to be many people having similar problems.

Cheers

Andy

Guest xboxwnnabe

orange so i have to wait for technical support and thats that ...nobody can speed things up or tell me whats going on..

some things i have learned with my conversations with orange to much of my suprise

1.they dont have a complaints dept.

2.you dont have a contractual response time (they can take as long as they like to resolve you issues)

3.you never get a call back within the agreed timescale

4.you cant claim on your 12months standard warranty for your handset

5. the 1 in 4 helpfull people there kept the company afloat.

6.i have no rights

im sure some of these things are not true but this is honestly what i have been told by CS staff..

meanwhile i have to cancell my direct debit on the helpfull persons instructions to make sure they dont take the money....doesnt that put black marks on my credit refrence oh well ;-(

guess ive just got to wait for technical to ring back in some fictional 10days or so