Dade's M2000 Review

Guest Dade

Guest philgriffiths

I use mine as my only phone. When i first got it I thought i would have to buy a second phone for nights out and stuff but at the moment i really havent got the need. Might buy something nice and small closer to the summer but right now i'm as happy as a pig in 'that mess that pigs leave' :D with my M2000

Guest witch-queen

Ok so I've had my M2000 since November's release and am very pleased with it's performance and would never now go back to an ordinary mobile. BUT I am having major problems with the bluetooth and wondered if anyone else is having the same problem.

When I turn on my headset (Motorola) sometimes the headset icon comes on in the task bar on the phone. This means that, even if the screen is keylocked, every time the signal strength changes the screen comes alive and if the phone is in my pocket/handbag the buttons get pressed, or if I'm in the car with it in the cradle then the backlight goes on and off every 2 mins. Ok in daylight but really distracting at night.

My other problem is when the headset icon does not come on. If I receive an incoming call then the headset activates and I take the call but when the call ends it does not go off and the above senario starts. However if the icon is not on I cannot make an outgoing call using the headset because it does not connect.

I have contacted Orange and they have placed me in the queue for a replacement phone because their tech. guys know less about the M2000 that I do and don't know any other answer. But having already waited over a month I have been told that untill someone else sends one back and it is refurbished there will not be a replacement available for me. The have offered a Sony Ericson temp replacement but that is not exactly compareable.

I also contacted HTC who advides a hard reset (useless) or I return it to them at my own cost for repair.

Strange but I thought I paid Orange Insurance for a reason!

Guest rs200tez

Well - just thought I'd give you a history of my quest for an M2000.

I have an SPV E200 with a "service provider" since 06/02/04 ..... I pay the insurance on top of my 200 tariff just incase of any problems.

In November the joystick action button stopped responding and the "service provider" replaced the phone with a new shiny one - thankyou very much (cost me an extra £15 for the hassle despite the insurance I pay each month).

Unfortunately the number 3, 4 and 6 keys would stick every time they were pressed on the new E200. I tried to live with it for a couple of weeks but decided enough was enough. So I called the "service provider" again and they sent me another new E200 - great - sorted. Ummm - NO :x the return key and the 6 key stick all the time.

Again I tried to live with it but it is soooooo annoying. Called the "service provider" again and told them I wanted to cancel the remaining of my 12 months contract because they could'nt provide me with a decent phone - depite paying insurance and an extra £30.

The nice lady on the phone put me through to disconnections who said they would upgrade me for free ...... and I could choose a new phone. So I looked on the "service provider" website and saw the M2000 and thought wow. I called back and asked for the SPV M2000 and they said OK. I was soooo happy - all the hassle seemed worthwhile.

After 6 weeks of waiting the "service provider" said they would call me when the M2000 was in stock - I called again. The reply was "they are in stock" (03/02/05).

The man at the "service provider" said someone would call me within 2 days to arrange delivery -nobody called.

Today (07/02/05) the "service provider" tell me that the M2000 has not been in stock in 2005 at all yet. I find that difficult to believe as my colleague at work came in today with a brand spanking new M2000 from a central business shop.

I called the "service provider" again and they said "the stock of M2000's are for new customers only" and that I would have to wait at least 4 weeks for the next delivery - but if they have too many new customers they wont guarantee one for me - an existing customer of 5 years.

I realise that I'm small fish in the "service provider" eyes - but should I kick up a fuss? I'm not the kind of person who complains - but I feel let down - and a little confused why I pay mobile phone insurance????

Guest ichilton
I have an SPV E200 with a "service provider"

SPV M2000
Seen Orange are the only company to do the SPV, it's not hard to work out who "service provider" is :-)

The reply was "they are in stock" (03/02/05).

The man at the "service provider" said someone would call me within 2 days to arrange delivery -nobody called.

Today (07/02/05) the "service provider" tell me that the M2000 has not been in stock in 2005 at all yet. I find that difficult to believe as my colleague at work came in today with a brand spanking new M2000 from a central business shop.

I called the "service provider" again and they said "the stock of M2000's are for new customers only".

Yep - I and others have had the same exact same problems with the same "service provider" - see the other threads in this forum.

--ian

• 2 weeks later...
Guest JamShady
:(  "Brand new customers only", how true the advert is now  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm finally getting mine tomorrow for free on ED50 (other phones on my contract push our spend up :lol:) as they came into stock for upgrades yesterday

Problem is, I want an XDA IIi now :D

Ah well, not bad for free

Guest sganatra

Hopefully my upgrade should arrive today aswell, i ordered it yesterday.

Gave them my work address and keep hoping that everytime the phone rings its from despatch saying its here!

Guest ichilton
Gave them my work address and keep hoping that everytime the phone rings its from despatch saying its here!

If you call Orange and ask for their delivery reference number for the parcel, you can then go to: http://www.parceline.com/pltracking/launch.do?carrier=pl and use the "By Delivery Postcode and Sender Reference." section to find out where your parcel is.

--ian

Guest Cornetto

Hi

I have had SPV M2000 for a few weeks. Generally works well. However, can be problems uploading (email attachments such as pics from phone) or to ftp server (unix or PC, doesn't matter).

Connection fine, then upload starts, then stalls, then error about no network (yet definately present, and if no email to upload, just downloads, will work fine). Its not due to bad reception or other obvious thing. Only way I have found to to get it to upload is to do registry hack suggested because of Mobile 2003 SSL bug.

Open the PHM Editor (Programs>>PHM Regedit), Locate HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Inbox, Create a new DWORD value ForceOffSSL and give it a value of 1, Base=Decimal (tap Edit, and New DWORD Value). Soft-reset device. It now uploads OK from email. Open ftp client and it will upload OK as well.

At some point though, the above has to be repeated to get uploads to work again. So I am not sure what is wrong. Orange support didn't have a clue. :lol:

Guest Cornetto

Decided to try to get Orange to sort out problem with sending attachments and ftp uploads. Regarding SPV M2000, can send small email without attachment 40% of time, but can only send with attachment (e.g. pic from phone) 5% of time. Always downloads fine, and that includes large attachments. Happens in any location and with good network reception. Error is just a timeout response.

Customer support have agreed that settings are correct. Now referred to their technical support for fix or decision that handset is faulty. Although they will then offer replacement in 28 days, that is too long, and I will go for reversing upgrade, cancelling with Orange, and signing up with O2 for XDAIIs. At least then I can try a different network.

is the m2000 the same as the xda IIs and MDA III, apart from different network provider? are the problems found on those?

so the problem with joystick, may cause problems to fast tapping games (doh)

also are these good with sat nav, like TOMTOM either bluetooth or cable?

looking to get one of these

thanks

Guest foldcroft

Can anyone help, I dont work in a business that would require the spv m2000, but i am intetrested in this phone am i wasting my time. Or could a non business users make use of this phone.

many thanks

Guest Pondrew

I'm a non business user and I've had no regrets at all about getting the MDA III (T-Mobiles version of the M2000). If you've not had a Pocket PC before it'll take a little getting used to (it works in different ways even to Smartphone devices).

Guest fraser

Yeah, wot Pondrew said. If you know your way around a PC, you'll be right at home after a short while. I've only had mine a couple of weeks, couldn't be without it!

Guest Pondrew

I'd recommend investing in a bluetooth headset although I don't find it too difficult using the MDA III for calls...

One thing though that I did discover this week is that the old bug of ' causing text messages to be fragmented is present on the MDA III. What this bug does is makes the Blue Angel split text messages into smaller bits. As a result if you composed a text with 155 characters, even though it's less then the max length of a text, it will split it so everytime you entered ' it registers it as the start of a new text.

Sorry about the clumsy description!

Guest vix2000

Hi. I'm looking at getting either the M2000 or Motorola A1000. I have read all your reviews and am confused about one thing. I have a wifi network at home and work. Does this mean that I will be able to access the internet in the same way as I do on my laptop through my broadband subscription, and if so, do I get charged by orange/3g for the service? Excuse my ignorance but I have no knowledge of smart phones/pda's. Any info gratefully recieved.

Guest fraser
Does this mean that I will be able to access the internet in the same way as I do on my laptop through my broadband subscription, and if so, do I get charged by orange/3g for the service?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, you can, and no, you don't get charged. That's the attraction!! :D

Guest Norky

I went into the Orange shop today, seeing if I could upgrade my MPx200 to an M2000. I checked the website beforehand which was saying £99. I got laughed at by the shop assistant (sorry, 'phone trainer').

It seems that even though I shell out ~£25 a month on GPRS, SMS messages and insurance, because I only pay the minimum line rental (Talk 30 on Orange) they want the full £350 for an upgrade. I've been paying them £35 a month for 2 years, and they want £350 for an upgrade?!

Can anyone give me any advice on how to get an M2000 any cheaper?

Guest Norky
Phone retentions

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wassat?

O2 will give me the phone on a new contract for £180, if I tell Orange this if I threaten to leave (which I may do) will they offer me a special deal as mentioned earlier?

Guest fraser
O2 will give me the phone on a new contract for £180, if I tell Orange this if I threaten to leave (which I may do) will they offer me a special deal as mentioned earlier?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, but they know that some customers are aware of this. You need to try and get the PAC code and pretty much go through the motions. Look out another deal on O2, tell them you are switching to it and want to keep your number.