Dade's M2000 Review

Guest Dade

Guest fraser
I don't see how Orange can be asking for £350 upgrade when O2 will give me one for £180 on a £19 mo contract, that's ridiculous.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They'd ask for £2000 if there was a chance that people might pay it! A lot of people (if not most) are using these devices for business and are expensing it, so they don't go bargain hunting.

Guest stuartm100

Hi Dade - This is a really useful review, after hours of searching this has answered nearly all of my questions.

One issue is about Outlook. We operate our own server using Exchange, can we receive and send emails from the handset in real time or is it always dependent on hot synch on the cradle?

I've read some reviews which indicate the receive os OK but sending is a problem - can you help?

Also does the synch include all received mails on the handset?

Hope to read all about it soon!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest fizzerfox

Hi, all. I have a new M2000, 2 days old now. My University has a WiFi facility, and it is detecting ithe phone, I have registered my MAC address with the IT guys but as soon as I try to go onto IE it either says "page not found" or switches to GPRS. Any help would be appreciated.

Fizzer

Guest Pondrew
Hi, all.  I have a new M2000, 2 days old now.  My University has a WiFi facility, and it is detecting ithe phone, I have registered my MAC address with the IT guys but as soon as I try to go onto IE it either says "page not found" or switches to GPRS.  Any help would be appreciated.

Fizzer

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There's a great bit of software called PocketWinC which does the work for you and can be used for troubleshooting. Thankfully it's got a free trial so it might be worth trying even if just to confirm if your unit is being assigned an IP by the uni wifi network (no ip address assigned is a common cause of it defaulting to GPRS...)

Guest Rob.P

Have just requested my PAC from Orange for my mobile that I don't use much, does anyone know if I can use that PAC to start a new contract with Orange and get the M2000 cheap, asking on the off-chance their systems are stupid and no-one will notice. If not will continue to move that number over to O2 and get the XDA variation instead.

Edited by Rob.P

Guest Rob.P

Like the idea of that didn't know you could PAC to PAYG. Off to look at PAYG deals, how long should I give it before PAC'ing back to O do ya reckon?

Guest fraser

No idea, never actually done it, just heard about it. You could probably do it as soon as the port takes place, but maybe leaving a day or two in-between might be wise.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest robertmoir

I had this problem and Orange Retentions wouldn't budge. £250 was their best offer on an upgrade. Laughable. I wouldn't expect a device like this for free but c'mon!

So I now own a O2 XDA 2i, and once the phone number is transferred my niece will get a SPV E200 as a nice little present!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Eriktheviking

hello all, for my first post im just going to say i cant wait to get my hands on the spv m2000 on an upgrade of my p900 for £50!!!! even if i dont like it i can flog it for £250. but i dont think ill have to after reading what you lot have said. the only thing that worries me is the size, is anyone finding it mega hard to cope with it.

As i found the p900 a bit big at times its my only doubt.

Edited by Eriktheviking

Guest Dade

Personally I don't mind the size of the M2000, it fits fine in my jacket pocket and you soon get used to it.

If you really dont like it you can also return it to Orange within 7 days.

Guest fraser

I've always kept my phone in my front jeans pocket (10+ years, must be sterile by now!), and this phone has got to be one of the best so far. It's shape is ideal for it.

• 1 month later...
Guest Touch Screen Junkie

Hello everyone, what a superb forum - you lot know your stuff - a big thanks to DADE for that great review!

Well I'm brand new so go easy on me :roll: I apologize in advance for waffling ;)

I'm trying to decide whether to go for a new SPV M2000 or the P910.

My M1000's been great when it's worked but an absolute nightmare when it hasn't.

I find it crashes far too often, just freezes up on me, and I have to soft reset about once a day - is this normal??

I use TomTom on it with a GPS Bluetooth adaptor, as well as ppod or gsplayer (depending on whether I'm showing off or not - cos people seem very impressed by ppod :D ), I browse the internet with GPRS a lot and make lots of calls and send plenty of sms.

Anyway the point is: I use as many functions as I can, and really make the most of the device, my 1.5 GB worth of SD cards are constantly being emptied and refilled with new music, pics and videos, etc. etc

SO should I expect to suffer from poor functionality as a result - am I pushing the device too far...?

Two questions: 1) is there an auto-redial on the M2000 (not possible on M1000 unless I'm missing something) and

2) Is it possible to partner 2 bluetooth devices - GPS and Handsfree at the same time?

Any help will be very much appreciated

Guest travisb

1). If you press the green button (to bring up the dial pad), the last number (either dialled out or in) is displayed. Press the green button again to call. Is this what you mean?

2). Mine will connect happily to both GPS and Handsfree (Parrot 3000 car kit) at the same time. However I'd recommend getting the GPS connected first, in my experience.

As for soft resetting all the time, have you tried periodically clearing some of the Running Programs memory? You'd be surprised how much is still running in the memory, even after you've closed the progam.

1). If you press the green button (to bring up the dial pad), the last number (either dialled out or in) is displayed. Press the green button again to call. Is this what you mean?

2). Mine will connect happily to both GPS and Handsfree (Parrot 3000 car kit) at the same time. However I'd recommend getting the GPS connected first, in my experience.

As for soft resetting all the time, have you tried periodically clearing some of the Running Programs memory? You'd be surprised how much is still running in the memory, even after you've closed the progam.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the reply Travis,

I do regularly clear all the running progs, but maybe the crashing happens when I don't.

What I meant by the Auto-redial is: when the number you dial is busy, you have to press the red button and then press the green button again to get the number back up, then redial manually. On my P800 and P900 and in fact all phones I've ever had, you get the option to set the phone to automatically redial if the number's busy. It just keeps retrying until it gets a ringing tone.

this is really useful when trying to get through to ticket line numbers or other really popular phone numbers

If you are looking for a new device you may want to wait a few weeks. The M500 looks like coming out by the end of the month.

Reviews will soon follow!

If you are looking for a new device you may want to wait a few weeks. The M500 looks like coming out by the end of the month.

Reviews will soon follow!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

less than 3 hours since I recieved my new SPV M2000 and it's already frozen-up. Yes, exactly the same as my M1000 has once a day for the last 9 months . Not looking good...

I'll give it a chance though and use it for a few days, but I may end up sending it back. I'm well disappointed so far ;)

Guest Pondrew
less than 3 hours since I recieved my new SPV M2000 and it's already frozen-up. Yes, exactly the same as my M1000 has once a day for the last 9 months . Not looking good...

I'll give it a chance though and use it for a few days, but I may end up sending it back. I'm well disappointed so far  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What program or action locked it up? I've never had that happen... wait... yes I have but only in Bluetooth manager before I upgraded my Blue Angel to bluetooth stack 3500 (and subsequently 3900).

Could it be the software you are using?

I use my M2000 really heavily and I very rarely have any problems with it locking up - maybe one a month.

What do you have installed on there at the moment?

I use my M2000 really heavily and I very rarely have any problems with it locking up - maybe one a month.

What do you have installed on there at the moment?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It was brand new and there were no programs installed except the default ones. Nothing was running in the background either cos I'm really careful with that after one of you guys pointed it out as a potential problem.

I'm going to stick with the M2000 I think, as long as I can get the WIFI setup. So far I've had no joy using the internet through WIFI even though I get a signal. Any ideas how to set it up with a linksys router and an NTL broadband modem?

Anyway,

What's this about Blue Angel etc?

I've been having problems getting the M2000 to recognise my "Socket Blutetooth GPS receiver". The M1000 recognised it instantly and Tomtom worked beautifully with no probs whatsoever.

I've had to choose a wired GPS device in the settings for TomTom, to get it recognised. Very weird.

So can I upgrade the Bluetooth part of the M2000?

Again, forgive my ignorance on this subject

Harvey

Guest Pondrew
What's this about Blue Angel etc?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

SPV M2000 is the name Orange give to their version of the Blue Angel. HTC name and manufacture the devices which are badged by the provider. O2 for example named their Blue Angel the XDAIIs but it's still the same device...