Tom Tom Navigator

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi

has anybody tried Tom Tom on the m2000? I have a built in Nav on my car, but want to buy tomtom for use when travelling in usa and europe in hire cars

Richard

Guest bizshows

I have been looking at navigation products - seems like CoPilot Live Pocket PC 5 is a better all round product (from the specs).

Anyone got first hand knowledge to confirm?

Guest dazza12

Bought it a couple of days ago, and it works perfectly with the M2000.

Only thing to bear in mind though is that if you do buy it, instructions are a little thin on the ground. It comes with a second disk, this one contains the Windows Mobile edition of Navigator.

Guest egghead101

I have just got tomtom 3 and a haicom gps for m2000. I have connected the gps and installed the software.....

Problem, which setting do i use in the connections in the gps screen? I have selected Haicom which is wired. Com 1 is not available, so is it "Serial through USB". If it is do I have to reset the device after selecting it?

Thanks

Carl

Hi all,

I'm looking to use my M2000 with TomTom in the car.

Is it possible to connect a GPS reciever via Bluetooth AND make calls on a Bluetooth Headset at the same time??

Any help much appreciated.

Mo.

Guest egghead101

Guys I am really stuck here!!!!

I have installed Tom Tom 3 and I am using Haicom GPS (wired). I cannot get the spv2000 to talk to the haicom gps. they are connected fine but the choices available

com 1

com 2

serial usb

bt uart

bt

com 9

etc

I have tried each one but nothing .......................HELP!!!!!! :?: :?:

Guest raiderz
Is it possible to connect a GPS reciever via Bluetooth AND make calls on a Bluetooth Headset at the same time??

Go to www.coolsmartphone.com, there is a review of a TomTom and a C500, granted its not a M2000, but should give you some answers.

Guest dazza12
Hi all,

I'm looking to use my M2000 with TomTom in the car.

Any help much appreciated.

Mo.

Not been able to test this until today, when I got about 3 calls when driving home.

The answer is yes, you can use the headset when using TomTom Bluetooth GPS.

Not been able to test this until today, when I got about 3 calls when driving home.

The answer is yes, you can use the headset when using TomTom Bluetooth GPS.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Excellent, thanks for the help.

Mo

Guest egghead101

Well on this thread i just wanted to say that anyone who had the same problems as me, here is the cure....

tom tom 3.07 patch for GPS cures the XDA/m2000 problem using the wired GPS solutions.

I have a haicom hs204 with my m2000. After pulling my hair out looking at loads of forums and lots of newsgroups i found that the patch on tom tom's website specifically fixes the xda problem, i.e serial com 1.

Anyway sorry t bore everyone else but thsi thread could help someone in the future.....

Happy New Year :)

Guest pragmatic

Dazza,

Since you seem to be the man on the in-car issue, can you offer some advice on exactly what is needed for in-car GPS. The Tom Tom Bluetooth seems to be the way to go, but there's no M2000 cradle (or any cradle) in the box. I've seen the Arkon powered universal cradle which has XDA II compatibility and assume this would be okay:

http://www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk/...t_id=72&vt=list

But the main problem is how doI power the the cradle in ADDITION to powering the Bluetooth GPS unit. I regularly undertake long journeys and in reality the M2000 and the GPS will need to be powered at all times. Assuming there is a splitter cable solution available for this can you advise on a particular model. I take it a decently sized SD card is also required. Is anything else needed?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Edited by pragmatic

Guest dazza12
But the main problem is how doI power the the cradle in ADDITION to powering the Bluetooth GPS unit.  I regularly undertake long journeys and in reality the M2000 and the GPS will need to be powered at all times.  Assuming there is a splitter cable solution available for this can you advise on a particular model.  I take it a decently sized SD card is also required.  Is anything else needed?

Thanks in advance for any help.

I know what you mean. I've got the phone, and a Road Angel in the car so there's a big problem with power connectors. The TomTom GPS I use is Bluetooth, and has a battery so I don't need to plug it in.

I went for the cheap option. Halfords do a couple of car accessory power splitters - 3 or 4 port. I went for the 3 port one at 9.99. It comes with screws and sticky pads so it can be mounted properly. Only prob I've got is that the plug doesn't sit in the cigar lighter socket properly, so it occasionally works it's way out. I might end up just snipping the plug off and splicing another cable somewhere.

For the cradle, I went for an unpowered windscreen / vent mount that I found on Ebay. Cost about £15. As I've got a BT headset I don't need the extra features the one you've pointed out offers.

One thing to bear in mind, if something says it'll fit the XDA2, check that the M2000 will fit. It's electrically compatible with most if not all XDA2 accessories, but physically the M2000 is slightly larger. It looks like you shouldn't have too many problems with the one you've linked to, as it's a universal one for many PDAs.

Regarding the SD card question, I use a 256Mb card. However for all the other things I use it for, it's currently full. I'd recommend going for at least a 512Mb card, the price isn't that much more at the moment.

Edited by dazza12

Guest philgriffiths

Pragmatic,

For the cradle you linked to it lists the PDA2K under 'compatible products' The PDA2K is the same hardware as the M2000 so you should have no problems with compatability. :)

Guest pragmatic

Thanks Dazza and Phil for the advice. I think I know exactly what's required now. Great mental image of the inside of your car Dazza - prob. looks like the Enterprise bridge. I assume there's a big red button in the centre of the dash the purpose of which is currently unknown and which you dare not press!

Just to add to the pain I've received a Plantronics M3000 bluetooth headset today which ofocurse is likely to need charging on longer journeys - more wires!

B.

Guest dazza12

Unless you are talking constantly with the Plantronics M3000 you should be ok. I only need to charge it up about once a week, sometimes even less than that.

If I remember correctly, it's got 8 hours talk time. It can last a few days in between.

Yes, my car does look a bit messy with the wires, but planning to tidy up and route the wires behind the dash if I can. Obviously avoiding the wiring for the big red button. It's a nightmare at the end of the day unplugging everything though to take with me - if I don't take it out, someone else will. Need a laptop bag just to carry round all the electronics!

Does anyone have any recommendations for a cheap GPS reciever unit that will work with the M2000? I don't need any software or cradles with it, just the reciever and power cable. Thanks in advance

Guest egghead101
Does anyone have any recommendations for a cheap GPS reciever unit that will work with the M2000? I don't need any software or cradles with it, just the reciever and power cable.  Thanks in advance

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you are looking for wired go with a Haicom 204e or wireless 204s. Pretty cheap and work fine on m2000. Ebay is worth a look. Power supply and gps mousey thing included

Been using mine for weeks and it is great.....

Guest philgriffiths

Has onyone used Tom Tom with the Parrot CK3300 car kit and an M2000? I was thinking about buying the CK3100, and a GPS package, but it works out cheaper to buy the CK3300 with in built GPS and the Tom Tom package then it is to buy everything seperatley. Just wondered how well it would all work together. Presuamably the GPS device with the CK3300 is wired into the car so would be powered from the car battery and wouldn't need charging seperatley. is this the case?

Guest sganatra
Has onyone used Tom Tom with the Parrot CK3300 car kit and an M2000? I was thinking about buying the CK3100, and a GPS package, but it works out cheaper to buy the CK3300 with in built GPS and the Tom Tom package then it is to buy everything seperatley. Just wondered how well it would all work together. Presuamably the GPS device with the CK3300 is wired into the car so would be powered from the car battery and wouldn't need charging seperatley. is this the case?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would also be interested to know if any1 has tried this combination.

There must be someone out there!

Guest philgriffiths

Also... with the above setup i mentioned would the audio directions given by the sat nav interrupt any music your playing on your car stereo?

• 8 months later...
Guest rickwookie
Well on this thread i just wanted to say that anyone who had the same problems as me, here is the cure....

tom tom 3.07 patch for GPS cures the XDA/m2000 problem using the wired GPS solutions.

I have a haicom hs204 with my m2000. After pulling my hair out looking at loads of forums and lots of newsgroups i found that the patch on tom tom's website specifically fixes the xda problem, i.e serial com 1.

Anyway sorry t bore everyone else but thsi thread could help someone in the future.....

Happy New Year ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was looking for exactly this solution. I though for a short while that the M2000 was going to be like my girlfriends HP iPaq 1940 which had no serial port and like her I was going to have to fork-out for a bluetooth GPS receiver.

Thanks for the tip. Although I have to say I thought that I'd already installed this patch, but maybe it didn't instal correctly. I'll check the GPS version tonight.

Regarding your point about boring people, I find it so rude when you can post a couple of times to a thread and it's like you're not there! You start to wonder if your posts are even showing up when other users log-in. :| Well, here's proof (I hope) that your posts were indeed usefull.