Install non-orange apps

Guest gcruces

Guest gcruces

Hey, what do we want a pocket pc and a freely downloadable SDK for? To use all the software we can get!!!

I really think I will return my phone if I can't install other stuff.

Guest Paul [MVP]

Apparently there are changes planned on this front, watch this space!

I can understand Orange's point of view, but I should be able to choose to have the MS root certificate, and forfeit application support from Orange.

P

Guest Anonymous

I watched a 1 1/4 hour streamed video of some clowns at microsoft spinning yarns and demoing the spv....

WOW i gotta get me one 'o' them i thought

loads of free software already available they hinted

50 companies working to bring out apps

wow

it was just like installing windows 98 (version 1 not se)and reading the screen as it installs

(mind you it is the only operating system worth having for a serious home user who likes a stable machine that runs most pc software)

now im wishing i had details of the filespecs (bitrate resolution sound) it can handle for movies

Guest dodgybob

Well... from what I know right now... The main problem is the Operator signatures...

This is how it goes {correct me if im wrong} :

A software developer wants to develop software for the Smartphone so he/she has to apply to become a "partner", if you are approved you can then download the Smartphone SDK from microsofts website... once this is done you can program to your hearts content and create some piece of useful software {you can test it out on the emulator that is provided with the SDK}!

If you then want to test it on a "real" phone you have to get your software certified/signed by Orange... i.e. Orange/MS wqill look at your program and say wether or not it will be allowed to be put on the Phone... The application for this costs a lot of money... $300? Im not too sure of the price... Only if Orange/MS are satisfied with the product do they allow it to be run on the smartphone platform! They can do this by means of application signing... where when the software runs it checks if it is allowed to be run on the system... if not it comes up with errors!

Orange/MS have declared that this is a way of preventing hackers/crackers creating stuff that can damage the phones and the carriers networks (orange)!

How can this be done? E.g. Some guy makes a virus that you download thinking its a copy of doom! The virus spreads instantly by MMS'ing/E-mailing itself to other ppl on your contacts via GPRS (always on)! Then the network gets cripples thousdands of handsets get bugged...

... This is possible but it can be avoided (its identical to the issue on PC's - So I dont think it should be treated any different)... they could restrict the softwares access capabillities... so it cant do too much damage... {this is done in the Symbian OS's}

The main gripe to this is that every other Smartphone OS seems to have a way of getting around the problem without resorting to expensive carrier application signing fees (e.g. Symbian OS has tonnes of freeware stuff thats downloadable and runnable...and java...... no complains from their users!)

My personal opinion on this is that 'M$'/Orange are trying to maximise their profits! Orange have subsidised the cost of the phone heavily! Therefore they will not make too much money on the phone sales themselves... most of the profits are to be made by commodity services such as downloadable stuff etc... They think that ppl will go for this device! Developers see this too. Microsoft think developers will then spend money on getting applications authorised {some will}... so they get money from that {and so do Orange}! So they make profit... remember Orange/M$ is not doing this as "good will to man kind" they are doing this because they are big multi-national corps who want more and more money!!!

But hey.. i'd still buy one...

Resolution: This is a major gripe because developers all over the world are crying out saying this is a major problem... M$ are curently assesing the situation.. Keep your noses and eyes peeled... you never know they might make a decision that might help us all {in time for XMas - lets just hope}

btw... sorry for long message :D

Guest Paul [MVP]

Yep, these are exactly the rumblings I have heard.

I would be very suprised if Orange didn't reverse their decision and re-add the root certificate to the SPV very soon...

P

Mmmm.

Might MS be waiting until (if) they release the .NET Compact Framework for the SmartPhone? This would give a lot more confidence to operators deciding whether to allow 3rd party apps knowing that any such apps will be effectively running in a sandbox with only as much privilege as the OS allows. I think this would make digitally signing code more meaningful too.

I can't see MS making a decision of .NET CF before the new year.

Thoughts?

joel

Guest PolarBear

This is how it goes {correct me if im wrong} :

:D

OK. Here's how it works. If you get a trojan on a smarthphone the consequences can be pretty dire. Imagine something which sends hundreds of SMSs. The effect on the network is bad, but then what happens when your bills go out. Thousands of angry users call the carrier because their bills are "wrong. Not only is the network screwed, but so is customer service. Can't let that happen. So...

Smartphone supports code signing. The carrier determines the certificates which can be used on a particular phone. Microsoft's involvement ends at putting this feature in the OS.

If you then want to test it on a "real" phone you have to get your software certified/signed by Orange... i.e. Orange/MS wqill look at your program and say wether or not it will be allowed to be put on the Phone...

:(

Wrong on four counts. Firstly if the carrier approves you as a developer they can enable your own cert on your phone(s) so that you sign your own code and put it on your phone(s) only. This is how corporate customers can write their own in house code. Secondly MS doesn't get involved in signing code distributed by other people. Third Orange only sign code to run on orange phones, if you get a smartphone on vodafone you'd need it signed by vodafone ... Fourth Carriers may broadcast certificates for trusted software vendors.

:(

• 3 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...