How to Activesync Via Wi-fi

Guest Ramx2

Excellent, this is something I will be doing once I get my hands on a M2000.

Has anyone played around with any of the sync servers at all? I sync my SPV to my work PC and my bedroom PC. However, the PC in my bedroom is hardly ever on, and I have WinXP and linux running 24/7 in other rooms. I'd quite like to run some sort of ActiveSync server that allowed me to sync to a central store running on one of these PCs. I would then be able to access it over VPN/SSH from the office.

Is this possible without setting up an Exchange Server?

Guest jharvey00

Did anyone NOT manage to get this working? I tried using file explorer to view files on a laptop connected to the same network and it just kept complaining about not having a VPN setup....?

Guest simonastro

hmmm

this hasn't worked for me at all

when I try to connect

I get

"errors" - unable to connect. verify your dialup or

proxy settings are correct.......

I can wifi, and I can sync via usb

can anyone help as this is driving me mad!

cheers

Actually I use resco explorer, I mapped the shared folders and I can browse now in all my shared folders icon_biggrin.gif
I can't get this to work - laptop and mda on same wireless network, laptop with drives shared out and the map drive button on resco doesn't do anything

hmmm

this hasn't worked for me at all

when I try to connect

I get

"errors" - unable to connect. verify your dialup or

proxy settings are correct.......

I can wifi, and I can sync via usb

can anyone help as this is driving me mad!

cheers

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I get exactly the same errors...

anyone got any ideas?

Cheers,

Stuart

It could be the Windows firewall if you are using XP SP2, or a third-party firewall. Find out what ports ActiveSync uses, then try to connect from other machine on the network.

e.g. telnet target_host 123

(exchange 123 with the active sync port)

If the screen changes (often includes printing garbage), the port is open. If it gets connection-refused or sits and does nothing , you are firewalled.

Guest simonastro

I don't think it is the firewall as I have it disabled

my wifi router has no problem discovering the m2000

but there is no network activity when I activate activesync

on the m2000

!!

I came across this thread on anther board with a lot of info. I've only looked at the first page, but it's late, so I'll come back to it tomorrow maybe. Thought I'd share it first.

I bet what is mentioned there about host names is what's messing you all up. ActiveSync sets up the target host using a name, not an IP address. On the cradle, this resolves (DNS lookup) correctly to the PC. On the network it doesn't, as we aren't all running windows server networks, which handle name resoultion.

I got a utility called vxUtil which game me a ping command to use on the phone, which told me that the host could not be found. I also got another utility "pocket hosts" which allowed me to statically map "myhostname" to "192.168.X.X" on the phone. This would probably solve the "check settings" errors for most of you.

However, for me it now sits syncing for 10 secs then stops. That's when I came across the page linked above. Then I decided to call it a night... :-(

Well guys check the out the Subnet mask, and make your Ip's similar as for me I made the PPC wifi lan Ip 192.168.1.11 and the pc's wifi pci 192.168.1.10 and for both the Subnet mask is 255.255.255.0

I hope this could help you out and remember while changing the Ip's turn off the PPC's Wifi.

I forgot to add I can Ping the PPC from the PC.

Edited by Ramx2

cheers all

I found using pocket host and making sure my network cards pointed both to work connection

did the trick

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I found some interesting about ActiveSync and DNS through watching the logs on my linux firewall:

- it looks for the host name in all caps, with the full qualified domain in lower case. This broke my DNS as the server didn't find it with the all-caps*

- it doesn't always need DNS, I think it has some sort of broadcast lookup for MS devices

- if the host is on another subnet, DNS must be set up correctly. The hosts file doesn't work

The last one is why I think it uses a broadcast i.e. a message to all hosts on the same subnet e.g. hosts 192.168.1.1 thru 192.168.1.254. I have a wired lan and a wireless one, both different subnets (wired is 192.168.0.X). I could sync to the laptop when the wifi card was on, but not with it off, despite being able to ping the wired ethernet IP and even use VNC! It was just ActiveSync that was having problems. This is even with using Pocket Hosts, I think ActiveSync uses the host file for somethings and not others. So you MUST have DNS running if you need to cross networks.

I then setup my DNS masquerade proxy to give out the proper IPs for the laptop, and it worked! I could sync to a PC on the other subnet which had been my goal to sync to a desktop. So something in ActiveSync must ignore the hosts file, try dns, then try a broadcast to get the target host. Wierd bug.

* the solution was to add extra entries on the line in the config on the server. You can do this with HOSTs files on desktops/servers, but I don't think Pocket Hosts does it, probably just a design oversight on the utility, the device will likely support it as it's fundmental TCP/IP stuff.

His everyone got this working now that wants to? I reckon I've got most of it sussed, so if you are stuck, just ask! Next I'll be trying through a VPN, that will be interesting!

Guest simonastro

I can remote operate my desktop using logmein

which is a lot of fun - though I'm not sure about handing over the keys to my pc to a few passwords on someone elses server!

he he

would rather be able to do this with my own client/server thingy

VNC does that, one of the best network tools on the planet. Works on any operating system to any other operating system. Been doing it for ages from the office to the broadband at home and vice-versa. Very handy! The new versions do file transfers now as well apparently. I highly recomend checking out TightVNC if it's new to you and you own/admin a couple of PCs. You can even use it to share keyboard and mouse between two PCs that are side-by-side, so it's like spanning monitors but each one is a different PC.

Use TightVNC on the servers and any pc clients you want to connect from. I had problems finding a version of VNC that works on the phone though. It's open source, so anyone can take it, add to it etc, so there are lots of different versions. TightVNC seems to be the best desktop one.

For the Pocket PC, I'm using this one:

http://dotnetvnc.sourceforge.net/

Apparently, it also runs on the PC because it's .Net, which is kinda cool. Seems to work quite well. Having a keyboard makes it really usable.

Guest simonastro

wow

works perfectly within my network!

how would I specify the server if I was

say in starbucks? I have a wireless modem/router

how would I contact that?

Set it up to forward a random high numbered port to port 5900 on the PC running VNC server. The random port is to "hide" it from hackers who routinely scan known port numbers for "interesting" systems. Anything higher than 30,000 up to 65000 is fine.

Try connecting over GPRS, it should work as a test to make sure it's working OK. Might even be usable, not tried it yet.

Be wary though, VNC is not encrypted (neither is remote desktop). So try to avoid entering passwords etc. There are groups building encrypting into VNC at the moment though! :-)

• 7 months later...
Guest deejayry

Ok, i've read the guide, and tried changing a few settings but the guide has me confused.

Currently i'm using the wifi connection of my laptop, bridged to the LAN card which in turn connects to my router (netgear fr114p), so far this is the only way i have found of getting internet on my phone via the wifi.

anyone suggest how i can set this up? i've tried everything i can think of

does the setup require static ip? and for me to manually configure everything?

with my current setup my router shows my pocket pc (named "RYANSM2000") in the connected devices list, if i try changin the settings to how the guide suggests the m2000 dissapears from teh list.