Backup your Typhoon ROM

Guest puppy

Guest kelz0

Sorry guys ... I am an idiot - I had a panic attack. I just had to reinstall ActiveSync and it works fine!

Ok I must have misread someone's post and I lost the functionality of ActiveSync with my SMT5600.

1) I am trying to backup my WM2003 ROM

2) I unlocked the application by using SDA_applicationUnlock.exe

3) I unlocked the SIM by using SPVServices.exe

4) I tried using Tera Term Pro to backup the ROM

5) I still got the following error "You didnt get the proper security level to download a specified image"

6) Then I tried using Patched_RUU.exe ... this is where I think I messed up

7) The phone still worked and booted fine

8) ActiveSync stopped working

9) I tried a hard reset

10) Still no activesync

Any help would be very appreciated!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest floepie

OK guys, I'm thinking my ATT ROM .bin might be corrupted somehow due to FAT32, as I see the word FAT32 in the words alongside the bytes in WinHex.

The odd thing is that the size is the EXACT size I need for the ATT ROM, but still the checksum error.

I'd like to try another ATT ROM if possible...

Could someone direct me either via PM or a link? THanks.... 8)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Solaris_irc

if I have an SP3i can I downgrade to WM2003SE with the official ROM ugrade utility from i-mate? or I have to follow the steps at SPV-Developers?

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest jnye6625

I have a SMT5600 with WM5 on it. Everything worked great on the phone but when i tried to do a hard reset the phone now freezes and will not go past the green audiovox screen. Nothing i do will make it book. I thinki need to re-flash the rom, but i am having problems doing that also. I have the WM5 rom, but I dont think that it is one that is capable of being copied to a mini sd card for the phone to load off of. Does anyone have any information on this, or a rom that i can use winhex to copy to my card and get my phone up and running again?

PS Winhex is able to copy the image to the sd card but when i put it in the phone and hold the camera button and insert USB cable, i get no option to load the sd card. The only option is asks about is whether i need a UI. Any ideas?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest aristweed
I used Patched_RUU.exe to get Typhoon DV/PVT ROM on the device and then that error will go away.

the patch wont work unless I have an activesync connection, of which I dont as I cant get my smt5600 to boot past the WM screen, and a hard reset isn't working either!

HELP!

Guest narsol

Ok, for someone who knows nothing about all this hex editor stuff and what not, how do I do this?

I have the rom image that I downloaded. I have a minisd card. what's the next step? I dont know what this command prompt and psdwrite stuff is or how to do it, and just dragging and dropping the rom onto the sd card didnt work. Can anyone tell me in lay terms? and tell me if I need any programs that I may not know about?

• 3 months later...
Guest tahder

Hey guys, thanks for this information...

But the problem i can't able to download a files Tera Term Pro the latest edition, in which can support the USB... It seem it only uses the COM1 - COM4... Can you give us a site where I can get it, in order i could also reformat my Dopod 565 because it hangs-up, more or less when i used to copy i files with my nice via bluetooth... Hope you can help me on this problems... I love much my phone and i have no more money to buy new one...

Thanks a lot,

Maximo

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest amptronic
Original article by Arisme: French / English

Enhanced by me after a series of testing.

Thanks to jimmyz for his help!

Opening Remarks

If your phone provider does not provide any software that would allow you to restore or install ROM, then here is a way to backup your ROM and put it in a safe lock in case if you ever need it again. The original author warned that you can easily fry your phone although I don’t really believe so. But still, please be extra careful and don’t fry this awesome phone.

I have an Audiovox SMT5600 and unlike you lucky i-mate owners, Audiovox doesn’t really post ROM updates on their web site nor would they give you software to fully restore the phone. Thanks to other members on this forum, I was able to install Unicode font which allows me to view Traditional Chinese Unicode characters. However, I am definitely in need of viewing Big5 (Traditional Chinese local codepage) and using bopomofo T9 input method. I was lucky enough to locate a copy of Dopod 565 ROM that contains Traditional Chinese version of Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition. If you are interested in learning more details about Dopod 565 ROM, just let me know.

Solution #1

Warning: Jimmyz pointed out that AT&T Wireless’s ROM for Audiovox SMT5600 has a different byte count than what Arisme has in his original article. So I guess you’ll have to find out the exact byte count for the original ROM before you do a backup.

Warning: Following instructions is only for AT&T Wireless’s Audiovox SMT560.

Getting Started

Hardware

- You are going to need a 32MB or larger MinSD card and MiniSD to SD adaptor if you already have a SD card slot on your machine. I got mine from eCOST.com and it came with a MiniSD to SD adaptor.

Software

- Modified version of Tera Team Pro which can connect to the WinCE USB development port.

- ItsUtils

Backup Instructions

1. Turn off the phone and unplug the USB cable from the phone.

2. Press the Camera power button and plug in the USB cable.

3. The phone will automatically start and you should see the 3 colors screen with USB text on the bottom of the phone screen. If this is your first time connecting the phone to your computer via engineering mode, Windows will take some time to install the USB driver. So please be patient.

4. Launch Tera Team Pro (ttermpro.exe) and select USB under the Serial menu. If connection is made successfully, you should see a terminal window with a blinking cursor.

5. You can initial the backup sequence in several steps with the following commands, but I encourage you to use r2sd all as some users were having problems with other commands. Please note that it will wipe out your MiniSD card and one card can only store one backup at any given time.

6. After backup operation is finished, you will see a blinking cursor again. You can now safely turn off the phone by pressing the power button or you can type ResetDevice in the terminal window to reboot.

7. I have different ways to copy the ROM to the computer. So if you want to know the original method, please check the original article.

8. To save the backup file, you will need to know the ROM size listed below. All in byte(s).

All: 31328768

9. Take out the MiniSD card from the phone and connect it to your computer via the adaptor or x-in-1 media reader.

10. If you haven’t done so already, download the ItsUtils suite and unzip it to a folder.

11. Open a Command Prompt window.

12. Navigator to the unzip folder and enter build folder in the command prompt window.

13. Enter psdread X: 0 YYYY filename.bin in the command prompt window. Replace X with the drive letter to the MiniSD card, YYYY with the byte number listed above, and filename.bin with a desired file name. For example, psdread E: 0 31328768 ipl.bin will backup everything to a local file named ipl.bin.

Restore Instructions

1. Take out the MiniSD card from the phone and connect it to your computer via the adaptor or x-in-1 media reader.

2. Open a Command Prompt window.

3. Navigator to the unzip folder and enter build folder in the command prompt window.

4. Enter psdwrite X: filename.bin in the command prompt window. Replace X with the drive letter to the MiniSD card and filename.bin. For example, psdwrite E: ipl.bin will copy the ROM file to the MiniSD card.

5. Turn off the phone and put the MiniSD card back to the phone

6. Press the Camera power button and plug in the USB cable.

7. The phone will automatically start and before you see the 3 colors screen, it will ask you if you want to restore the ROM by pressing Volume Down key within the next 5 seconds.

Solution #2

Final Remarks

With a backup ROM in hand, you can now safely try putting other ROM versions onto your phone just like what I did without having to worry about not being able to restore what was originally on the phone. In order to try other vendors’ ROM versions, you will have to unlock the phone. I know someone is working on a free utility that can unlock HTC Typhoon. In the mean time, you will need to pay some bucks to unlock it. The best service I could find so far is IMEI-CHECK which has unlocked both my Motorola MPx200 and Audiovox SMT5600 without any problem.

Good luck and have a happy hacking journey!

padern me but is something i dont know the phone the card after reset and all cos i cant put it on the pc cos when i type build folder in command prompt it tells me its invallied please i will be glad if you can brake it down for me thank you

Guest amptronic
Ok, for someone who knows nothing about all this hex editor stuff and what not, how do I do this?

I have the rom image that I downloaded. I have a minisd card. what's the next step? I dont know what this command prompt and psdwrite stuff is or how to do it, and just dragging and dropping the rom onto the sd card didnt work. Can anyone tell me in lay terms? and tell me if I need any programs that I may not know about?

is your rom image for spvc500 for i also need it please let me know where to download but sorry i was unable put my on the pc and did not know the phone will format it and that make me loose my

Guest amptronic
is your rom image for spvc500 for i also need it please let me know where to download but sorry i was unable put my on the pc and did not know the phone will format it and that make me loose my

yaa i think you need to download itsutilsbin-20080731-2 navigate to it in command prompt and enter ''psdwrite X: the file name'' without the cote

but but i need the sd image for spvc500 so if some one could help me. thanks

for my phone is at tri colour with iu.