Another WiFi question - VPNS

Guest Ian

OK, have got the M2000 using the PC's (XP Pro) internet connection for internet browsing and email via a USB WiFi adaptor (not a router).

How do I get the M2000 to be able to browse shared folders and open a Terminal Services session - it looks as though I need to setup a VPN, but no matter what settings I change I either get a dialog which says "Connecting to 192.168.0.1..." and never does, or get prompted for user and password to access the PC and then get message about error in VPN server.

Any ideas?

Ian

Guest jmcglynn

I am also struggling with VPNs. I am trying to ActiveSync via WiFi and it's asking me for the VPN details. I'm sure it doesn't need one, but set one up (via my WiFi Router config) but still no joy.

So any one out there know how to activesync/explore networked PC's via WiFi? Are VPN's a red herring?

Jim

Basically, the phone has two net connections "internet" and "work". It thinks that it can use VPN to get from internet to work by default. There are also two classes of applications, some go for the internet, some go for the VPN. ActiveSync uses the work one for example.

Took me a bit of digging to find the setting. Go to:

Start / Settings / Connections / Connections (the tab at the bottom)

Then got to the "advanced" tab. Hit "select networks" and set both the drop down lists on this page to use the same one. For me, Oranage World was the setting on the public one, so I copied that choice to the work one.

WORST USER INTERFACE EVER. Seriously. I work in IT, have done for years. This has to be the worst UI I have ever had to negotiate. Everything else is great, well designed, on the PPC, but it seems as if networking was bolted on at the end. The apps jump you around in no clear way, and in order to get at some settings you have to follow an exact sequence.

If anyone finds any articles or references on the whole "The Internet" and "Work" way of thinking, I'd be glad to see them!

OK, have got the M2000 using the PC's (XP Pro) internet connection for internet browsing and email via a USB WiFi adaptor (not a router).

How do I get the M2000 to be able to browse shared folders and open a Terminal Services session - it looks as though I need to setup a VPN, but no matter what settings I change I either get a dialog which says "Connecting to 192.168.0.1..." and never does, or get prompted for user and password to access the PC and then get message about error in VPN server.

Any ideas?

Ian

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How have you managed that??? I am going crazy trying to sort it out... please, please, please can you walk me through your process of connecting your m2000 to the net via your USB wifi dongle.

Thanks in advance.

How have you managed that??? I am going crazy trying to sort it out... please, please, please can you walk me through your process of connecting your m2000 to the net via your USB wifi dongle.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Where are you at just now? What do you have set up?

Where are you at just now? What do you have set up?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the help- in advance.

I bought the USB wifi dongle today. Plugged it in, and xp pro automatically detected it and set it up as a wifi connection.

But I can't find where the setting is to let the connection act as a hotspot.

At one point when I was fiddling with the settings, I got the M2000 to detect it, but it wouldn't let me use the net.

If you can help me at all, you'll make me the happiest man. All those hours at work and meetings will be spent surfing the net from my M2000!

Thanks.

The USB dongle I've got is a Belkin one. Used their software to setup a profile on the PC (UI is odd, becuase the option appears to be greyed-out but works when you click on it...!) - just gave it a name, and set it for Peer-to-Peer. Didn't activate encryption though, so it's not secure.

Turned on M2000, detected it immediately, but wouldn't connect to Internet.

The two things that then needed changing:

1) On the PC, go into Network Connections, and enable "Internet Connection Sharing" on the advanced properties of the connection to your ISP (not the WiFi connection)

2) On the M2000, in Connections, find the "Programs which connect to a private network should use..." setting, and either add a new connection, or edit the "My Work" one. On one of the tabs is a box saying "This network connects to the Internet". Check this, and it should all work OK.

There's something wrong with this dialog though, because every so often it loses the setting for "this network connects to the internet" on the M2000 and you have to go back in and re-check it.

Hope this helps - I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the speed of browsing/streaming once it's all working...!

Ian

2) On the M2000, in Connections, find the "Programs which connect to a private network should use..." setting, and either add a new connection, or edit the "My Work" one.  On one of the tabs is a box saying "This network connects to the Internet".  Check this, and it should all work OK.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The steps on getting to that menu are in one of my previous posts. Ian's advice should get you up and running.

I'm disappointed that I can't get onto any of the Orange sites though. If you don't come in via their network (e.g. from GPRS), they won't let you at the media!

Guest JamShady

To those who have got ActiveSync to work over wifi: are you using a wifi network (i.e. router, etc, with your pc being on that network) or do you just use a wifi card in your pc (i.e. no networking).

I still can't get it to work, and I'm thinking perhaps it's because I have a network set up. My M2000 can't seem to find a webserver on the network by the PC name. On PCs, I usually map the ip address in the HOSTS file so they know where it is, but I have no idea how to do that with the M2000

"Pocket hosts" will do what you want, but as I've said in another post, it doesn't work properly with ActiveSync across subnets. Seems OK for the same subnet.

I've got it working with full networking, I can cross the gateway device to other networks, get onto the internet. Set up internet connection sharing as described above to replicate this.

Do you have the options to set up some form of DNS server or DNS proxy? That's what I do; it knows the IPs of every PC on my network, so everything works well.

Guest JamShady

No, but in reality it's only my PC on the network and it has a fixed IP address so I'd get away with just mapping the name to the IP address. If PocketHosts can do it, then I'm sorted (hopefully), cheers

Edit: Yup, tried it, works perfectly, cheers :lol:

Edited by JamShady

• 1 month later...
Guest cy80rg

Maybe being thick but...

Ive used Palm devices for years, and must say Im finding the rather "bolted together" feel of PPC + Operator apps a little confusing.

Goals:

1. Access work network, through a wirless AP, and have access to shared resources.

2. Access home pc, using only WI-fi PCI card (no AP or Router) running in Infrastructure mode. Access shared folders.

Seemingly simple huh?!

SO far, both networks (home / work) are running, and the spv m2000 can see them both.

Im using RESCO EXPLORER, but under MY NETWORK folder, it doesnt show anything, though I can access the internet through work (havent tried at home as Im on Dial up!).

THOUGHT:

Im increasingly getting the idea the only way to connect to a network is to set up a VPN. Surely there has to be an easier way?

On the VPN option which Im trying at work, setting seem pretty straight forward, apart from the following:

VPN TYPE:

IPSec/L2TP

PPTP

Not quite sure what these are, or what they should be set to.

Basically trying to connect to the "Allow remote access to this machine" option on XP, so no non-standard 3rd Party VPN S/ware. Additionally, I dont have any certificates, tho I do have network login.

Any help on this would be much apreciated.

Sorry if all this has been explained, but I am new to PPC OS, and must say getting well and truly confused!

Finally, I've seen mentiopn of a PPC Workgroup Edition (I think!) :roll: - would this be a version more suited to this task, and if so, is it possible to flash the ROM to it?

Guest cy80rg

UPDATE:

Ok, so I got TS running (basically connected to the IP - which isnt static, hence why I didnt do it in the first place - rather than the computer name.)

Er, cant really see me using it... shrinking to fit the screen doesnt seem overly practicable, but Ill just have to fiddle with it.

I've read about creating host files, and using some app, to store DNS details etc.

Would this do what I want?

Jeez, should it really be this convaluted? :D

• 2 weeks later...
Guest cy80rg

Hi Guys,

After fiddling with the network settings (connects to...), I now have nothing listed at all in "My network card connects to..." !

Can someone tell me what the correct settings are, for "work" & "internet" connections - or where I can get them from?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest An-d
Hi Guys,

After fiddling with the network settings (connects to...), I now have nothing listed at all in "My network card connects to..." !

Can someone tell me what the correct settings are, for "work" & "internet" connections - or where I can get them from?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

click the advanced tab at the bottom of the network connections page > then select networks.

>>>

Guys anyone know if I can i listen to music and video stored on another pc and stream the data to my M2000?

Guest An-d

it's ok i found how to do it 10 seconds later.. im using beta player and it working a treat.

Now i need to find a way to play my dvr-ms file from my meadia center and i'm sussed.

• 4 months later...

OK this is my question.. I have HTC BLUE ANGLE AKA (Siemens SX66 in USDM) I am connecting to the interenet via Cingular wireless with apn of wap.cingular... here is my delema, I CANNOT VPN TO WORK! no matter what i try it wont let me, I CAN however vpn home (standard windows vpn server).. I can access everything else while connected via bluetooth thru my laptop, but no VPN to work.

Does anyone know what i can do to fix this?I believe my work uses Cisco VPN hardware, If anyone has any bright ideas how i may be able to connect to this vpn it would greatly be appreciated..

My thoughts: I could VNC into a box I have on the internet, then VPN from that box...

Flawed because i would need 2 networks to do so..

Does anyone know how to set up static routes?

I do know their are other APN's Cingular wireless offers such as WAP.CINGULAR, ISP.CINGULAR & ISPDA.CINGULAR which all require auth. on their end.. ive tried wap.cingular w/no luck as far as my work VPN goes.. I tried calling Cingular and my Corp. IT person.. none of which were any help.. so now im looking for my own answer.

• 3 weeks later...
it's ok i found how to do it 10 seconds later.. im using beta player and it working a treat.

Now i need to find a way to play my dvr-ms file from my meadia center and i'm sussed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What did you use to set this up. I use beta player and it's great, but is there anything special you did to get this to work??