PPCProfiles Pro

Guest bretto

Guest bretto
Bretto,

Having tried removing / reloading / restarting in every way possible, it only puts the four bmp files in the PPCProfilesPro folder - no exe, no dll!

Unfortunately, I have not got a registry editor so I cannot see what is going on in there but does seem to not be installing the exe / dll files, for some strange reason.

Tony.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Very strange. Im using the same cab creator as v1.09b which you say work fine for you.

I can appreciate that this might be getting frustrating for you but if you want to have a go at getting it working you could use the cab install then manually copy the files on after.

Ive attached the files you cant seem to install. They are zipped up so not to give you hassles when downloading. Just unzip them and copy to the correct directory

PPCProfiles.zip

PPCProfilesAuto.zip

Copy PPCProfiles.dll into \Program Files\PPCProfilesPro

Copy PPCProfilesAuto.exe into \windows

You should then be able to select it from the todaysceen setup.

Cheers

Bretto

Guest bretto

Hi All

Just a quick bug fix udate.

Ive had to redesign the quick switch option.

Is now working correctly with the auto outlook mode. Also now works when the device is "switched off"

Some minor fixes to menu buttons have been addressed.

Some fixes to various little bugs reported.

I'll load a new version very soon but if anyone really needs a new copy now let me know and ill post an update sooner.

Also I havent had any success on finding out whats cause your problem Tony. I'll keep at it though.

Cheers

Bretto

Guest c2fow

Found that the original dll was sitting in the Windows directory, strangely. Manually copied the new dll over the top of it & it is fine!

Excellent.

Surperb.

Fantastic.

Or, to put it another way, I think it is really rather nifty!

Tony.

Guest bretto
Found that the original dll was sitting in the Windows directory, strangely.  Manually copied the new dll over the top of it & it is fine!

Excellent.

Surperb.

Fantastic.

Or, to put it another way, I think it is really rather nifty!

Tony.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Glad to hear you got to have a look at it. and that you like it :D

Strange how the registry settings remained for the registered version. Should have been removed when you removed the app. hmmmm

Just uploaded the latest beta. This one has the ability to configure the in call volume aswell. Might help with the m2000 sound bug. :D

Thanks to all the feedback Ive had around the place this looks like it will be the pre-release version.

Unless I hear about some major flaws I will probably release the product in a couple of days.

Cheers

Bretto

Guest fraser

Do you have any plans to include WiFi alongside the controls for Flight Mode and Bluetooth? I have WiFi at home, but not at the office, so I'd quite like to get a BT dongle for use in work and WiFi at home. However, switching between them every day would be a pain, so I've not bothered getting BT yet.

I'd register it straight away if you supported that feature! The auto-sync you mention sounds good, but is this only for one profile? Ideally, I'd have continous ActiveSync in the office, with IMAP polling at home when on WiFi. Is this possible?

Guest bretto
Do you have any plans to include WiFi alongside the controls for Flight Mode and Bluetooth? I have WiFi at home, but not at the office, so I'd quite like to get a BT dongle for use in work and WiFi at home. However, switching between them every day would be a pain, so I've not bothered getting BT yet.

I'd register it straight away if you supported that feature! The auto-sync you mention sounds good, but is this only for one profile? Ideally, I'd have continous ActiveSync in the office, with IMAP polling at home when on WiFi. Is this possible?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi fraser

I could change the auto sync feature to make it available for any profile by simply selecting a checkbox option I guess.

I also have plans to incorporate wifi in future versions. Ive been researching this for a little while to see the best way to do it.

I wont incorporate any more changes for this release though. The reason is that this release is very stable and ready to escape albeit any nasty flaws in the next short while.

I do issue a free upgrades to registered users of all my applications.

Stay tuned for more experimental versions incorporating these features and more.

Cheers

Bretto

Guest mike-oh

Hi Bretto, sorry for the lack of feedback as of late i'm upto my eyes in essays and reports!

Hopefully i will have some time this weekend to install and try the latest version,

Cheers,

Mike

Guest bretto
Hi Bretto, sorry for the lack of feedback as of late i'm upto my eyes in essays and reports!

Hopefully i will have some time this weekend to install and try the latest version,

Cheers,

Mike

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Mike-oh

No worries mate! I always take no news as good news :D

Cheers

Bretto

Hi Bretto - don't know if I can give you much info, but I have an MDA III, installed the beta, it was working ok, then the phone hung. I did a soft reset, and it wouldn't get past the T-Mobile screen. Tried about 7 soft resets, replaced the battery a couple of times, took out the SD card, more soft resets - nothing. In the end I had to do a hard reset. Lucky I had taken an X-Backup on Saturday, so I didn't lose too much data! Let me know if any info about my setup will help...

Cheers,

Stuart

Guest fraser
I could change the auto sync feature to make it available for any profile by simply selecting a checkbox option I guess.

I also have plans to incorporate wifi  in future versions.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That would be pretty useful. One thing I'm dismayed about my M2000 is that having WiFi does not mean continous connectivity! It's a battery killer, so I have it set to power off after 5 mins of no signal. When you get home, you have to switch it off then on again to make it work. A profile would take care of that! :D

There's actually a need for a third-party connectivity manager, if anyone is looking for a new project to work on. Something to look after your connectivity, e.g. when syncing mail it would first attempt WiFi, then Bluetooth, then GPRS. Right now, when the phone wakes for a sync, outlook hits the network before the WiFi is up, causing it to dial GPRS. :D You could integrate it with profiles if you wanted to go nuts, e.g. use items around you for determining where you are. BT device "WorkPC" present == Work profile, or WiFi SSID "linksys" == home profile. That would be the zen of profile management!! 8)

I wont incorporate any more changes for this release though. The reason is that this release is very stable and ready to escape albeit any nasty flaws in the next short while.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Understood, work in the industry, know your reasoning!! :D

Guest bretto
Hi Bretto - don't know if I can give you much info, but I have an MDA III, installed the beta, it was working ok, then the phone hung. I did a soft reset, and it wouldn't get past the T-Mobile screen. Tried about 7 soft resets, replaced the battery a couple of times, took out the SD card, more soft resets - nothing. In the end I had to do a hard reset.  Lucky I had taken an X-Backup on Saturday, so I didn't lose too much data! Let me know if any info about my setup will help...

Cheers,

Stuart

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Stuart

Could you please let me know what was installed and about anything that was going on when the phone locked up. Do you use auto mode? if so how many appointments do you think would be on your device? You can pm me if you dont want the whole world to know what you run :D

I dont know what this app would do to lock it up but its always possible. I pretty much just maniplulate the registry unless the bluetooth or flight mode options are in use. Then I use the standard Microsoft calls to the api for each.

The whole application is developed in standard vanilla win32 and only uses MS api calls. Nothing fancy really.

I'll definately have a look at my error checking routines to see if Ive missed something.

Cheers

Bretto

Hi Stuart

Could you please let me know what was installed and about anything that was going on when the phone locked up. Do you use auto mode? if so how many appointments do you think would be on your device? You can pm me if you dont want the whole world to know what you run :D

I dont know what this app would do to lock it up but its always possible. I pretty much just maniplulate the registry unless the bluetooth or flight mode options are in use. Then I use the standard Microsoft calls to the api for each.

The whole application is developed in standard vanilla win32 and only uses MS api calls. Nothing fancy really.

I'll definately have a look at my error checking routines to see if Ive missed something.

Cheers

Bretto

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Bretto, I have quite a lot installed - I don't know if the Profiles software caused the hang - I wasn't switching profiles at the time. I was using MobiPocket Reader, which has never hung on me before. I know that the profile software is the only thing I have installed since my last soft reset (on Saturday because of a problem with X-Backup). I wasn't using Auto, however I had made some changes to the profiles:

Soft: I had changed this to be called "Flight". It switched on flight mode, and turned all volumes to 0.

All other profiles: I had modified volumes and ring types etc, but the main change had been to set all of these profiles to turn off flight mode. Right before I opened mobipocket i had been experimenting to see if i hit any problems switching between two non-flight profiles (ie if switching off flight mode when flight mode was off caused any problems).

It may just have been a coincidence. Let me know if a list of all my installed programs will help. I should also have some time this weekend to take another backup - I'll then try reinstalling the profiles software and try to duplicate the problem, as I've now tested the restore from X-backup and it works fine.

It looked like a really nice piece of software, but hard resets make me nervous :D

Cheers,

Stuart

Guest bretto

Hi Stuart

Thanks for getting back to me.

Ive been testing for memory leaks in the beta. To do this I coded a test harness that simply simulates a screen tap at specified intervals on random profiles. This has been great as it let me iron out all the loose bits of code that could cause problems.

One very important thing this test harness has been able to do for me is load and stress test the app for long priods of time. Eg 1 key press every 1/2 second for 12 hours. See if memory usage grows, if things lock up when using different applications, etc

Ive been able to watch dvds and use all the apps on my device while this is going on and I havent had a soft or hard reset yet. But I'm developing and testing on and imate II. So we arent really comparing apples to apples. I know the imate II wasnt really stable until the later rom upgrades.

At the moment Ive got it set up as you have and am simulating 1 key press every 30 seconds on random profiles. This is turning the flight mode on and off and setting all the options of each profile. I'll let it run for the next 8 hours and see if anything eventuates.

Cheers

Bretto

Hi Stuart

Thanks for getting back to me.

Ive been testing for memory leaks in the beta. To do this I coded a test harness that simply simulates a screen tap at specified intervals on random profiles. This has been great as it let me iron out all the loose bits of code that could cause problems.

One very important thing this test harness has been able to do for me is load and stress test the app for long priods of time. Eg 1 key press every 1/2 second for 12 hours. See if memory usage grows, if things lock up when using different applications, etc

Ive been able to watch dvds and use all the apps on my device while this is going on and I havent had a soft or hard reset yet. But I'm developing and testing on and imate II. So we arent really comparing apples to apples. I know the imate II wasnt really stable until the later rom upgrades.

At the moment Ive got it set up as you have and am simulating 1 key press every 30 seconds on random profiles. This is turning the flight mode on and off and setting all the options of each profile. I'll let it run for the next 8 hours and see if anything eventuates.

Cheers

Bretto

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Bretto, I found some time today, and decided to try and replicate it. I have now replicated the problem twice. Basically,

Install ppcprofiles by copying cab to phone and running there. change profile options as mentioned in previous post. Stop all other running problems. Do a soft reset. The ppc refuses to restart on soft reset. Hangs on T-Mobile screen. Normal restart from soft reset is:

1. T-Mobile screen appears

2. Backlight comes on and version information appears in bottom left of screen

3. backlight flashes

4. With T-Mobile screen still showing, applications start loading (I use SPB Pocket Plus, and the battery indicator appears at the top of the screen at this point)

5. The Today screen loads

6. PPC ready for use.

After a soft reset after installing ppcprofiles, step 3 occurs, and then nothing. The SPB Pocket Plus battery indicator does not appear, and the phone just hangs. This continues through numerous (>10) soft resets with and without SD card in, and removing/replacing battery. I always have to do a hard reset and restore from backup. Could it be a problem with SPB Pocket Plus? I also have SPB GPRS Monitor which loads on startup...

Let me know if you need any more info, my next test will be installing the app and trying a soft reset without changing any settings...

Cheers,

Stuart

Guest bretto

I dont know what is cause your hard reset problem there Stuart.

After making a change to take it to V2.00a.

Add threads to handle flight mode and bluetooth operations so that the state of the profile and selection is updated faster and the other stuff is done in the background.

Ive been punishing PPCProfiles-Pro for about 15 hours straight with an automated test harness that selects a new random profile every 30 seconds. switching in and out of every type of mode. Flight, bluetooth, etc.

While this has been running Ive been using other applications and basically trying my hardest to kill it. Watching dvds, etc

The good news is I havent been able to on my imate II. No lockups, not soft resets needed, no hard reset needed.

So having collected all the feedback from around the place and after convincing myself of the stability of the app on the desired platform Ive decided to release the first version.

It is V2.00a. Let me thank everyone that has provided feedback in private and in the public forums.

Please feel free to download the demo.

Cheers

Bretto

Guest bretto

hmmm...I dont know what is causing your hard reset problem there Stuart.

After making a change to take it to V2.00a.

Add threads to handle flight mode and bluetooth operations so that the state of the profile and selection is updated faster and the other stuff is done in the background.

Ive been punishing PPCProfiles-Pro for about 15 hours straight with an automated test harness that selects a new random profile every 30 seconds. switching in and out of every type of mode. Flight, bluetooth, etc.

While this has been running Ive been using other applications and basically trying my hardest to kill it. Watching dvds, etc

The good news is I havent been able to on my imate II. No lockups, not soft resets needed, no hard reset needed.

So having collected all the feedback from around the place and after convincing myself of the stability of the app on the desired platform Ive decided to release the first version.

It is V2.00a. Let me thank everyone that has provided feedback in private and in the public forums.

Please feel free to download the demo. It should be uploaded into the inital post of this thread.

Cheers

Bretto

Edited by bretto

Guest bretto
Bretto,

How do I get rid of the nag screen (and before anyone says it, yes I did register on Tues last week!)

Regards,

Tony.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Tony

There is something funny happening on that platform. The registry seems as though its locked.

Im going to write you a little program that cleans up the ppcprofiles settings so you can reinstall.

Let me know if thats suitable

Cheers

Bretto

Guest bretto

Hi all

Has anyone experienced soft or hard resets using the latest version of the software? V2.00b.

Received an email that there are people around the place saying they have (not to me though). But they dont state any info for me to go on.

Ive have only received 1 email about this and that was from a user with a jam and a very late mode rom. And one from Stuart in this forum.

If you have can you please let me know what happened so I can look into it.

The whole application is written in vanilla win32 and uses the standard Microsoft api calls. With the exception of system volume, in call volume, bluetooth on/discoverable/off and flight mode on/off all the product does is update registry settings. So with regard to soft and hard resets I would like to know what if anything my app is doing to cause them. Or is it something in the MS apis that needs looking into??

Some info would be awesome guys.

Thanks

Bretto

Edited by bretto

Guest FloatingFatMan

I just decided to try this nice looking app & downloaded the demo from Handango.

All seemed OK until the install finished on the device (and MDA Compact) whereupon it promptly reset itself & left me looking at a blank white screen. I tried several soft resets and all I got was this blank white screen and nothing else.

I ended up having to do a hard reset and now have several hours of reinstalling all my apps etc :D Has anyone else had a similar problem with this? I'd love to try it, but don't really want to risk it again.

Guest bretto
I just decided to try this nice looking app & downloaded the demo from Handango.

All seemed OK until the install finished on the device (and MDA Compact) whereupon it promptly reset itself & left me looking at a blank white screen.  I tried several soft resets and all I got was this blank white screen and nothing else.

I ended up having to do a hard reset and now have several hours of reinstalling all my apps etc :D  Has anyone else had a similar problem with this?  I'd love to try it, but don't really want to risk it again.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi

I just posted about this very thing. Could you let me know more info about your device and installed programs etc.

There is a custom part of the setup which at install time after the installation has completed (all done by MS's cab installer) simply pops up a messagebox then sends a message to refresh the todayscreen.

Possibly the sending of the refresh message to the today screen has caused this problem or something else is happening when the application tries to set the default profile at start up.

I am very interested in getting to the bottom of this is you are.

Cheers

Bretto

Guest FloatingFatMan
Hi

I just posted about this very thing. Could you let me know more info about your device and installed programs etc.

There is a custom part of the setup which at install time after the installation has completed (all done by MS's cab installer) simply pops up a messagebox then sends a message to refresh the todayscreen.

Possibly the sending of the refresh message to the today screen has caused this problem or something else is happening when the application tries to set the default profile at start up.

I am very interested in getting to the bottom of this is you are.

Cheers

Bretto

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Now that's what I call a fast response! Thanks! :D

The device is a T-Mobile branded MDA Compact:

ROM Version: 1.01.00 WWE

ROM Date: 21/10/04

Radio Version: 1.00.10

Protocol Version: 1337.36

ExtROM Version: 1.01.128 WWE

Install on the device at the time were:

Spb Pocket Plus

Spb Weather

Spb GPRS Monitor

Microsoft Reader

Microsoft Voice Command

Bejewelled

Crazy Bubbles

Slurp!

Using the Spb Tech Ext today screen.

GPRS, Bluetooth & Beam were disabled...

Hope this helps!

Guest bretto
Now that's what I call a fast response! Thanks! :D

The device is a T-Mobile branded MDA Compact:

ROM Version:  1.01.00 WWE

ROM Date:      21/10/04

Radio Version: 1.00.10

Protocol Version:  1337.36

ExtROM Version: 1.01.128 WWE

Install on the device at the time were:

Spb Pocket Plus

Spb Weather

Spb GPRS Monitor

Microsoft Reader

Microsoft Voice Command

Bejewelled

Crazy Bubbles

Slurp!

Using the Spb Tech Ext today screen.

GPRS, Bluetooth & Beam were disabled...

Hope this helps!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Its sad to say it this way but... Now that you have had to hard reset what happens when you install PPCProfiles-Pro with the clean system.

If this is possible I would like to know. Might give us some idea if its my app with your device or between apps.

Guest FloatingFatMan
Its sad to say it this way but... Now that you have had to hard reset what happens when you install PPCProfiles-Pro with the clean system.

If this is possible I would like to know. Might give us some idea if its my app with your device or between apps.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's quite alright, being a developer myself (though not of mobile phones, yet), I quite understand the advantages of trying something on a virgin system :D

I'm back at work at the mo, so will give it a try for you when I get back home in a couple of hours...

I'm more than happy to work with you to get it going :D Better now than after I fill the phone up again! :D

Guest bretto

Seams to me that everything that is even the slightest bit tricky is causing some grief on the mda III. And Im just talking about using standard MS calls to windows from microsofts evc++!

Stuart Im sorry to say you are not alone with the problem you were experiencing. I have to say I didnt doubt you had the problem just couldnt reproduce it and still cant. But others can :D

I wonder if we are running out of memory or if something is trying to access the same registry keys as I am at the same time?! Ive checked the source code and at this stage cant see how I can do what needs to be done when it sets profiles without doing what it does when it does it. hmmmm

Does anyone know where a developer can get one of these devices for testing?