PPCProfiles Pro

Guest bretto

Guest bretto
That's quite alright, being a developer myself (though not of mobile phones, yet), I quite understand the advantages of trying something on a virgin system  :D

I'm back at work at the mo, so will give it a try for you when I get back home in a couple of hours...

I'm more than happy to work with you to get it going :(  Better now than after I fill the phone up again!  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks FFM I appreciate it.

When you do get to start developing on these devices you might want to prepare yourself for lots of teeth ghashing and hair pulling :D

The great thing is that almost everyone in this type of forum is very helpful and the knowledge of members is staggering. Most have already done the hair and teeth thing and are happy to pass on the info :D

Its not really that hard as far as programming is concerned. Well apart from trying to get information on "undocumented features" and the fact that almost no two devices are the same. You have different ROMs, add-ons, OS versions, hardware, etc to contend with.

Sometimes I wish I would have been asked to develop a new image viewer or word processor. Something like this app has to work too closely with the middleware apis and device. I really am at the mercy of the api calls from MS.

With everyones help well get thru it.

I look forward to hearing of your results.

Cheers

Bretto

Guest FloatingFatMan

OK, on a completely virgin phone, I run the installer, tell it to install to the default location and wait.

As soon as the install finishes on the phone, it resets & just sits at the T-Mobile start screen doing nothing. I soft-reset and it does the same. While this is going on I can hear the USB Connect sound from my PC, but Activesync stays asleep.

I disconnected the USB & soft-reset again, but no change so it looks like your app doesn't like the JAM mate... Sorry about that :D

I had to hard-reset again to get the phone back up & running. Hope this helps?

Guest bretto
OK, on a completely virgin phone, I run the installer, tell it to install to the default location and wait.

As soon as the install finishes on the phone, it resets & just sits at the T-Mobile start screen doing nothing.  I soft-reset and it does the same.  While this is going on I can hear the USB Connect sound from my PC, but Activesync stays asleep.

I disconnected the USB & soft-reset again, but no change so it looks like your app doesn't like the JAM mate... Sorry about that :D

I had to hard-reset again to get the phone back up & running.  Hope this helps?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks again FFM

Here is the good (bad 4 me) news.

I just finsihed upgrading the rom in my xda II to wm2003se which is close to the same os that everyone is having trouble on. The exact same thing is happening to my device.

I say this is good news because now that I have reproduced the fault I can address it.

I'll get back soon with a fix.

Cheers

Bretto

Guest FloatingFatMan
Thanks again FFM

Here is the good (bad 4 me) news.

I just finsihed upgrading the rom in my xda II to wm2003se which is close to the same os that everyone is having trouble on. The exact same thing is happening to my device.

I say this is good news because now that I have reproduced the fault I can address it.

I'll get back soon with a fix.

Cheers

Bretto

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cool, I was thinking it's probably 2003SE causing it... Seemed to be the only common factor...

Looking forward to a version I can use! :D Hope I haven't ruined a night off or anything! :D

Guest bretto
Cool, I was thinking it's probably 2003SE causing it... Seemed to be the only common factor...

Looking forward to a version I can use! :D  Hope I haven't ruined a night off or anything!  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Night off! what is that :D

OK Ive found the cause of all my grey hair and sorry guys your hard resets.

Yes it was wm2003se and the way i was handling the construction of the today plugin. Just a half a dozen lines of code! A simple move of some of my code to another place and all is going ok.

Strangely wm2003 ROM 1.72.00 doesnt have a problem with how I was doing things but we live and learn.

There is also a bug with switching back from auto mode on wm2003se. Which I will attend to also.

I'm going to load test everything again before I post a trial version but that will only take a few hours.

Cautiously I would suggest that after all this the most recent devices will be supported. But that will still be trial an error for some unfortunalety.

Cheers

Bretto

Guest bretto

Hi All

Ive thoroughly tested PPCProfiles-Pro V2.00c on my wm2003se system and all looks good to me.

No resets (soft or hard) no lockups or apparent functionality problems.

I would be very surprised if anyone experiences the problems V2.00b was having but please let me know about any glitches.

For those of you who would like to have a look here is the demo.

Cheers

Bretto

PPCProfilesPro_demo_v2_00c.exe

PPCProfilesPro_demo_v2_00c.PPC2003_ARM.CAB

Guest FloatingFatMan

Well, you'll be glad to know it's now installed OK and running happily on my MDA Compact :D

Now to play with it a bit :D

How long is the demo for? Didn't notice a timeout in it...

Guest bretto
Well, you'll be glad to know it's now installed OK and running happily on my MDA Compact :D

Now to play with it a bit :D

How long is the demo for?  Didn't notice a timeout in it...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats great FFM glad to hear it :D

You can evaluate the demo as long as like.

Cheers

Bretto

Guest mike-oh

Hello again!

I've been trying to install the latest version and it doesn't seem to be working. I've done a softreset and it doesnt appear on my today screen or in the items list within the today screen setup.

Cheers,

mike

Guest bretto
Hello again!

I've been trying to install the latest version and it doesn't seem to be working. I've done a softreset and it doesnt appear on my today screen or in the items list within the today screen setup.

Cheers,

mike

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Mike-oh

This sounds like the strange today screen registry locking problem.

Ive got a request into Microsoft about this. For some reason the today screen isnt always allowing the "remove programs" program to remove the today items registry key.

You should be able to sort it out like this.

1) remove PPCProfiles-Pro

2) soft reset to make the today manager release the registry key

3) use a registry editor to check the today item key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Today\Items\PPCProfiles

if it exists delete it.

4) reinstall PPCProfiles-Pro

Cheers

Bretto

Guest mike-oh

Well my jam decided to hard reset itself last night. Not sure why, i was useing the camera then the screen went white and needed a soft reset.

When it came around it'd hard reset :D

So i guess i should be able to install this with no problems now!

Mike

Guest bretto
Well my jam decided to hard reset itself last night. Not sure why, i was useing the camera then the screen went white and needed a soft reset.

When it came around it'd hard reset :D

So i guess i should be able to install this with no problems now!

Mike

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey Mike.

Do you have much trouble with the Jam in general? Just asking because Im looking at buying one.

The thing is I havent found anything as stable as the xdaII using ROM 172.00WWE. Never once had to reset where the device was at fault. Mind you the xdaII wasnt that stable I hear until the later ROMS

Guest mike-oh

No, it's great! v little trouble compared to the smartphones i've had.

I've had to do a few resets but that's usually my fault.

Last nights hard reset was the first and hopefully last time it's done it. And i don't know what caused it?!

Guest bretto

Hi All

Does anyone feel adventurous?

Im looking for anyone with a device that uses the Widcomm bluetooth stack to look at getting me some info.

What I would like to know is...

What the registry value in

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Widcomm\BtConfig\General

is for each of the b;uetooth modes. on/off/discoverable.

If I can get some info then I should be able to include Widcomm bt control in PPCProfiles-Pro

Also if someone can zip up a copy of Windows\wbtapice.dll and send it to me I would be very greatful.

Thanks

Bretto

Guest bretto

Hi Again

Ive been thinking about releasing the source code to PPCProfiles-Pro under a GPL license.

The reason for this is that I just dont have access to all the devices that people are wanting to use this application on. To make it work on everything you really need everything to test it on.

I also think that this type of software should be included in every PocketPC Phone edition device not just the few who purchase it.

If more developers pitched in and added their valuable knowledge we could all enjoy a feature rich app on every platform.

For anyone interested please feel free to discuss it either here or via email, pm, etc.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Cheers

Bretto

Guest fraser

There is NO REASON why you still cannot charge for it though. It's one of the big OSS myths. You could a) charge for the source or :D have a registration. All the GPL says that if you sell the binary, you must provide the source. I'm not exactly sure how redistribution works though.

Not that I want to pay for it, given the choice I'll take the free one!

Also, you could get rich (sort-of) by selling it to the likes of Orange for pre-bundling with the phone. You could put that in the license; free non-commercial use, license required for commercial distribution.

I'd love to see more OSS on Smartphones/PPCs, but it's a different, more selfish culture. People sell registry hacks for £15!! :-(

Guest bretto

Hey Fraser

Thanks for the input.

I like the idea of a free version and a comercial version. At least then the phone companies have the option.

I come from a linux/unix background going back 16 years and think that open source is the best idea also.

When I was first asked to create the light version of the app for my customers I had no idea of the amount of PPC users out there who are craving this type of thing.

Have to tell you I also received quite a shellacking from PZP supporters aswell. Can you believe someone even said to me "We already have one program, why do we need another one?"

Well the answer is simple. There is a huge amount of people out there who dont want to use PZP for various reasons. I have nothing against PZP at all, just stating a fact.

Honestly Ive sold hundreds of copies of this app over the past couple of months. Ive given heaps of copies away also when people have requested. Truely if they have emailed me and ask for a copy Ive given them one. To me this all adds up to "people want/need a profile switcher/manager."

This app was born out of necessity and frustration of some of my users. The more time that passes the more info I get from all around the world that this type of app is required by nearly everyone who has a PPC.

Now Im seeing a different kind of frustration. PPC users who really want this software but it isnt totally compatible with their device or they want more options, etc, etc.

As I have said so often (Im thinking of recording it) I designed it to interact with the HTC Himalaya but so many people with other devices want it also. Some people cant grasp the "HTC Himalaya" part and have gone off half cocked about how its no good when they tried it out on something else. Fact is they just dont have a compatable device. Others have tried it out and love it on so many other devices. Bit of an eye opener for me.

I really would love to see what Ive started with humble beginings grow into something that everyone can use.

In reality Im always going to have a profile manager. And any device I own and use will have a compatable version. But Im sure we can take it further.

Cheers

Bretto

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bretto

Hi All

Just uploaded the beta of the new version. If anyone is interested in trialing it please download it from the original post of this thread.

Please ALWAYS make a backup before installing. :D

The new things for this one (from everyones wish list) are ...

Redesigned from the ground up to use less memory on todayscreen and fix some wm2003se incompatability issues.

New look and feel for quickswitch and popup select options.

Context Sensitive Help.

Support for landscape modes.

Smaller today plugin (less memory usage).

Support for mp3 ringtones if device is capable of using them.

Able to be installed on storage card or places other than main storage.

Setup options are now available from the today manager.

Any and all feedback is most welcome.

All those participating in the beta trials will of course receive a free copy of the software at the end.

Cheers

Bretto

• 2 weeks later...
Guest FloatingFatMan

Hi Bretto,

Just trying a new version and something springs to mind...

Would it be possible to create your own custom profiles? Smartphone have a lot more profiles than you have available, but this could easily be resolved if it allowed be to create my own profiles (something I also wanted when I had an MPX200!!)

Indicentally... I've noticed something seems to be leaking memory on my phone. I don't know if its your profiles app, but I didn't notice it before I installed it... Has anyone else noticed it? Over the course of a day, my phone drops from about 14mb free down to about 5!! The only other thing I'm running is the Spb Pocket Plus & Weather plugins so it could be one of them...

Guest bretto
Hi Bretto,

Just trying a new version and something springs to mind...

Would it be possible to create your own custom profiles?  Smartphone have a lot more profiles than you have available, but this could easily be resolved if it allowed be to create my own profiles (something I also wanted when I had an MPX200!!)

Indicentally... I've noticed something seems to be leaking memory on my phone.  I don't know if its your profiles app, but I didn't notice it before I installed it... Has anyone else noticed it?  Over the course of a day, my phone drops from about 14mb free down to about 5!!  The only other thing I'm running is the Spb Pocket Plus & Weather plugins so it could be one of them...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi FFM

There is a memory leak that I found in V2.01b-beta1 but it appears to be pretty small. I ran a test harness for over 12 hours which selects a new profile every 5 seconds. Over that period of time which is a lot of profile switching it increased the memory usage by a couple of %. I am still looking for that leak.

The problem with using more than 5 profiles is where do you display them? I'm open to suggestions as the design will allow it if we can work out a graceful solution to display them.

Some ideas off the top are to have a "more profiles" button somewhere to display any greater than 5.

You can of course set your profiles to be what you want already. Only the 5th (far right) is special. But even that is being investigated. Might make changes to allow any profile to sync with outlook. Could then have multiple profiles capable of syncing with outlook or whatever one you choose.

BTW Ive been working on V2.01c-beta1 and have modularised the system even further.

Now the todayscreen dll is only 72Kb and feeds off most of the processing to helper apps.

There is now an option to select where your custom ringtone are stored and used from.

Default = \Windows\Rings

Storage = \Storage

Storage Card = \Storage Card

Custom = \whereveryouwant.

This updates the system and sets everything up for use by the device.

Also it has a tray based frontend that can be used instead of the todayscreen plugin.

Lots of testing still required before I post the new version but its all looking good so far.

Guest FloatingFatMan

I think a popup, scrollable list would more than suffice... For the button's display, you could show the currently selected one, plus 2 either side (wrapped if the start/end is hit) showing a total of 5...

ie:

[Normal] [Loud] [Auto] [Custom 1] [Custom 2]

Obviously, Custom 1 & 2 would have their own names & just show the seleted one as depressed?

Personally, I use the text mode display with the popup selection.

I know I can customize the current profiles, but they're all profiles I use :D What would be nice is the ability to create my own profiles and do things like using profiles to turn on call diverting and other similar phone functions.

Ie: Work profile, calls diverted to answerphone

Home profile, calls diverted to house phone

Sleeping profile, radio off!

Just some ideas for you ;)

Keep up the good work & looking forward to the final version & giving you some money :D

Guest FloatingFatMan

Another idea occurs to me...

How about a start/stop time for profiles, so you can tell the phone to switch to a particular profile at a certain time, and at the stop time, switch back to the previous one?

I for one would that that VERY usefull! ;)