Changing Cases on the MPx220

Guest MadSci

Guest MadSci

Well I've received a nice new set of cases for the MPx220: Black, Blue and Transparent!

Sadly, I don't know how to install them :oops: I expected the instructions would have come with them, but perhaps that was asking for too much.

It looks like I need to pry up several rubber bumpers in order to get to the screws (which I believe are Torx #6?) in order to remove the current case and make the changes.

Sadly, I really depend upon my phone, so with great restraint, I have had to refrain from doing so yet.

Does anyone have a primer on changing the case for the MPx220? awarner did an incredible job of showing us how to dissect an MPx200 earlier. I'm wondering if he, or someone else with more experince, will have ago at it.

Any takers?

[-o<

Thanks

MadSci

Guest Jazzydude
Well I've received a nice new set of cases for the MPx220: Black, Blue and Transparent!

Sadly, I don't know how to install them  :oops: I expected the instructions would have come with them, but perhaps that was asking for too much.

It looks like I need to pry up several rubber bumpers in order to get to the  screws (which I believe are Torx #6?) in order to remove the current case and make the changes.

Sadly, I really depend upon my phone, so with great restraint, I have had to refrain from doing so yet.

Does anyone have a primer on changing the case for the MPx220?  awarner did an incredible job of showing us how to dissect an MPx200 earlier.  I'm wondering if he, or someone else with more experince, will have ago at it.

Any takers?

[-o<

Yes pry up the bumpers and remove the screws  .. on mine they were Torx 5 not 6 and the holes in the brass inserts in the new cover are a little small ..I had trouble screwing in the screws.

Once you remove the screws .. stick a fingernail between the case halves or a credit cards and work it around to pop the cover up.

****** NOTE****** The lens on the cover I have.. that goes over the camera lens in not optically Clear!!!!!!!!!!!  The image quality on the camera isn't the best to begin with .. this will kill it for sure.  So I did not install this cover.

Jazzydude

Thanks

MadSci

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest landrock78

JazzyDude, Is the plastic on your new cover removable like on the original cover? If so I would think that it would only be a matter of switching out the plastic.

Also, Are these faceplates we're talking about or the whole case (i.e. battery cover, keypad cover, LCD cover, as well as the front faceplate)? If so I would LOVE to know where we could get them as well.

Thanks,

LandRock78

Edited by landrock78

Guest ppcmd

Are these OEM cases or 3rd party cases? How is the quality? I recall you will need a hex tool to remove the case and the rubber bumpers on the phone come off.

Guest jedimyndtryx

The faceplate I bought off ebay was the worst quality faceplate I have ever seen. I had it on for 2 days and had to remove it. For some reason after installing it, my camera quality went to hell and the darn screws wouldn't even fit onto the faceplate!!! Lots of people complained about the faceplates as well. The battery cover is cheap too. So, IMO I wouldn't recommend messing around with the physical aspects of the phone. I purchased a set of CellSkins which are vinyl decals for your phone. Lots of people on HoFo are buying them, although no one has posted their results yet. I'll see what happens, I like customizing my phone, unfortunately there's not much you can do with the 220.

Guest ppcmd

I found a thread at howard forums regarding www.cnn.cn offering the parts to convert your silver MPx220 to a black MPx220. They have the keypad and a kit that contains all parts but the battery door. I emailed and Dennis from cnn.cn let me know he will contact me as soon as the full kit is in. He was going to take pictures while he converts his and provide them as a helpful guide.

These would be the OEM parts and the only way I would want to go.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest EliteXen
I found a thread at howard forums regarding www.cnn.cn offering the parts to convert your silver MPx220 to a black MPx220.  They have the keypad and a kit that contains all parts but the battery door.  I emailed and Dennis from cnn.cn let me know he will contact me as soon as the full kit is in.  He was going to take pictures while he converts his and provide them as a helpful guide.

These would be the OEM parts and the only way I would want to go.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

http://cnn.cn/shop/motorola-mpx220-black-housing-p-380.html

Guest MadSci
where'd you get the cases?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry to take so long to reply, I've been offline a while.

Anyway, you can get them here: http://www.cellphoneshop.net/faformomp.html

FYI, the lens looks pretty good, but they,re still in their packages. Haven't had the time or courage yet to try them out. I can't go a day without my phone so I need a decent block of time in case I screw things up!

Any one else had much success?

MadSci

Guest MadSci
The faceplate I bought off ebay was the worst quality faceplate I have ever seen. I had it on for 2 days and had to remove it. For some reason after installing it, my camera quality went to hell and the darn screws wouldn't even fit onto the faceplate!!! Lots of people complained about the faceplates as well. The battery cover is cheap too. So, IMO I wouldn't recommend messing around with the physical aspects of the phone. I purchased a set of CellSkins which are vinyl decals for your phone. Lots of people on HoFo are buying them, although no one has posted their results yet. I'll see what happens, I like customizing my phone, unfortunately there's not much you can do with the 220.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Where did they come from? The ones I have are from "CellPhoneShop" If yours are too, then I'll leave them alone. Id they're frm a different supplier, I might give mine a try.

MadSci

• 3 weeks later...
Guest svermilyea
Where did they come from?  The ones I have are from "CellPhoneShop"  If yours are too, then I'll leave them alone.  Id they're frm a different supplier, I might give mine a try.

MadSci

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I followed the thread on Howard Forum (www.cnn.cn) and got an OEM Black shell (full kit). The shell is flat black and the full kit comes with everything except new rubber bumpers (for the hex screws) and mini SD slot cover.

Spend the $1.99 an buy a cell phone tool which will greatly aid in opening both the old and new cases.

There are four hex screws at the four corners of the inside LCD, under the rubber bumpers. There are six more on the back of the phone....two up by the antenna under rubber bumpers and four more in the battery compartment.

Once you have removed them, the cell phone tool comes in handy to pry the case open without damaging it. You will have to remove the internal antenna and put it in the new case, but all other buttons and covers.

On a 1-5 scale, I would rate the work difficulty about a 2 ..... the key is not to get in a hurry and force anything, as the shell is actually quite fragile.

Guest cortez

my housing should be here this week...it's the brownish/red color. i couldn't find the "flat black" housing you described on the the cnn.cn website.

my understanding is that the kit includes the housings, rubber bumper (screw) covers, but, it excludes the headset and miniSD rubber covers. i'll order those if i don't like the appearance after i change the housing. i also ordered the torx screwdriver and the cell phone separator device.

Guest svermilyea
my housing should be here this week...it's the brownish/red color. i couldn't find the "flat black" housing you described on the the cnn.cn website.

my understanding is that the kit includes the housings, rubber bumper (screw) covers, but, it excludes the headset and miniSD rubber covers. i'll order those if i don't like the appearance after i change the housing.  i also ordered the torx screwdriver and the cell phone separator device.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Brownish cover is flat black from some angles and brownish/reddish from others.

I bought the entire kit, and it did not include the rubber bumpers, mini-sd cover, headphone cover or a small hinge insert. I was forced to paint the silver insert that was with my old phone.

Guest svermilyea
I need the torx 5 or torx 6 to open???

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I bought the cell phone tool and it cam with a Torx5, and I have a Torx6, but neither seemed to work with the screws. I ended up using my jewlers driver set with much better results.

OBTW.....cnn.cn now has the rubber stopper kit for the mpx220 ($4).....so you no longer have to live with the gray covers and silver rubber stoppers.

Guest LASTFAITHFULL

HELLO EVERYBODY:

I SAW YOUR POST AND WANTED TO HELP ON HOW TO GET THE MPX220 HOUSING.THE SAME PEOPLE THAT SELL THE HOUSINGS ON CNN.NN ALSO SELLS THEM ON EBAY AND MUCH CHEAPER THAT BUIYING THEM ON THEIR WEBSITE,JUST LOG IN TO EBAY AND "SEARCH" FOR MPX 220 OEM HOUSING,THERE YOU'LL FIND ALL THE OEM ACCESORIES AVAILABLE FOR THE MPX220.

I'M A SELLER ON EBAY,

I HOPE THIS HELPS.

JIM

• 1 year later...

One question.. i'm trying to get one of those housings and my problem is that most all of them are like the images below.

motorola_mpx220_housing_black.jpg

motorola_mpx220_housing_silver.jpg

an the problem is that the "M" symbols on both of them are not shiny like in the original housing. You can see an image of an original housing below.

mpx220-14.jpg

what does it mean? are the first ones OEM or not Original? i'm trying to find an original one in USA but it's really hard.

can you help me?

One question.. i'm trying to get one of those housings and my problem is that most all of them are like the images below.

motorola_mpx220_housing_black.jpg

motorola_mpx220_housing_silver.jpg

an the problem is that the "M" symbols on both of them are not shiny like in the original housing. You can see an image of an original housing below.

mpx220-14.jpg

what does it mean? are the first ones OEM or not Original? i'm trying to find an original one in USA but it's really hard.

can you help me?

Edit: Sorry for my repost.. i hit the "Reply" twice.. delete the first one

Edited by Kani

• 6 months later...
Guest woody_sud

I have a problem with my mpx220, I change the case following this guide http://www.cnn.cn/mpx220/mpx220instruction.htm, but when remove the first cover, jump out a pieze like a litle magnetic cube. I finish the rest of guide and when to put in their place the first cover I don't find any place to put the little magnet cube. Try to close and all is ok, but now, the extern screen is inverted and the call dont hangup when close the clam, any idea about this, or knows where ti put the little magnetic cube...

• 5 months later...
I have a problem with my mpx220, I change the case following this guide http://www.cnn.cn/mpx220/mpx220instruction.htm, but when remove the first cover, jump out a pieze like a litle magnetic cube. I finish the rest of guide and when to put in their place the first cover I don't find any place to put the little magnet cube. Try to close and all is ok, but now, the extern screen is inverted and the call dont hangup when close the clam, any idea about this, or knows where ti put the little magnetic cube...

ok, I have got the answer for this one. if you go back to the page you used to guide your case change, lit is visible on the 16th, 19th, and 20th pics. 19 and 20 are the best. Look at the screw hole on the top right side of the phone. That little white looking square is the magnet that makes your phone shut off on closing the clam.

I have a question for you... or anyone else. I will copy my HoFo post.

"Hello All,

I just changed the case on my mpx220 and a magnet fell out. Actually, it clung to the other magnet, and now I can't figure out where it goes.

There is a magnet under the faceplate on the upper right corner, next to the screw thread. the magnet that fell out is a bit smaller, but doesn't seem to have a spot that holds it still.

I have searched around on the web and found no good pictures to show where it goes. there is a pretty good picture tutorial on cnn.cn, but all pics have seemed to fall short.

The only problem with this phone is that the internal speaker isn't working. I figured that this must have been where it came from, but I can't find any evidence that this is the case.

Does anyone have any ideas?"

Edited by cycotc

• 4 weeks later...
Guest goblin999

I don't know if you found the answer or not, but that little magnet is what lets the phone know that the cover is closed!! It's place is near the hinge of the phone. There's a small place there where it fits perfectly. If you try passing the magnet through that area, with the phone turned on, you'll see that the screen turns white and then it turns off!!

Hope this helps.