Invision Board - Newbie Documentation

Guest yoos

Guest yoos

I'm helping a friend get a forum up (I'm learning as I go) and I chose Invision Board because MoDaCo chose it (pure and simple). I've searched the net but can't find any documentation that could be posted on the forum to help newbies out, anyone know where to find any???

I know there is some standard help docs for users in the help link after installing the board, but I'm looking for more, like a step by step walktrhough similar to what I'll post below...

I am starting to create my own since I can't find any... Here's one I created for Creating a Topic. Feel free to use it and alter it as you wish.... I'll post more as I write them if anyone wants them... But let me know if this stuff already exists somewhere like this to save me time!

Attached is the code. Below is what my Creating a Topic will look like after being posted:

If you want, print this Topic by clicking the "Print this topic" link, which is to the right side just up a bit from this sentence, then click the printer icon at the very top of your internet browser program...

Creating a Topic (Quick and Easy Method): ;)

1. If you wish to create a NEW Topic, go into the forum that best suits the discussion you will start.
  2. Click the [NEW TOPIC] button at the top/bottom right side.
  3. In the "Topic Title" field enter a short descriptive explanation on what the Topic will cover.
  4. (Optional) In the "Topic Description" field enter more text describing the Topic.
  5. Enter your message in the big white center box under the "Enter your Post" section.
  6. Scroll down and hit the [Post New Topic] button.
  7. Done!
Creating a Topic (Advanced Options Method): ;)
  1. If you wish to create a NEW Topic, go into the forum that best suits the discussion you will start.
  2. Click the [NEW TOPIC] button at the top/bottom right side.
  3. In the "Topic Title" field enter a short descriptive explanation on what the Topic will cover.
  4. (Optional) In the "Topic Description" field enter more text describing the Topic.
  5. Enter your message in the big white center box under the "Enter your Post" section.

1. (Optional) If you want to make some text bold then highlight the text and click the [ B ] button in the "Code Buttons" section.
    2. (Optional) If you want to make some text italicized then highlight the text and click the [ I ] button in the "Code Buttons" section.
    3. (Optional) If you want to make some text underlined then highlight the text and click the [ U ] button in the "Code Buttons" section.
    4. (Optional) If you want to make some text a different font then highlight some text and choose a font in the [ FONT ] dropdown box in the "Code Buttons" section.
      1. Arial
      2. Times
      3. Courier
      4. Impact
      5. Geneva
      6. Optima
      [*](Optional) If you want to make some text a different size then highlight some text and choose a size in the [ SIZE ] dropdown box in the "Code Buttons" section.

[*]Small

[*]Large

[*]Largest

[*](Optional) If you want to make some text a different color then highlight some text and choose a color in the [ COLOR ] dropdown box in the "Code Buttons" section.

[*](Optional) If you want to insert a hyperlink click the [ http:// ] button, enter the web address link, click OK, enter a description of the link and click OK.

(Example link to Sheri's site!)

[*](Optional) If you want insert an image that exists somewhere on the net click the [ IMG ] button, enter the web address link and click OK.

[*](Optional) If you want to enter an email address click the [ @ ] button, enter the email address and click OK. [email protected]

Note: It is HIGHLY recommended to AVOID posting PERSONAL emails in the Forums because there are robots searching all over on the internet looking for email addresses to send unwanted spam mails to.

[*](Optional) If you want to have text appear in quotes then highlight the text and click the [ QUOTE ] button.

Example text in quotes...

[*](Optional) If you want to have text appear in code quotes (i.e. for displaying programming code examples) then highlight the text and click the [ CODE ] button.

This is a code example... You + A spiritual path with a heart = ?!

[*](Optional) If you want to input a smilie :P just put the cursor where you wish in the big white entry box and click the desired simlie to the left (click the "Show All" link to choose from a larger selection).

[*](Optional) Ensure the "Enable emoticons?" checkbox is ON if you want smilies to be allowed to appear in the Topic.

[*](Optional) Ensure the "Enable signature?" checkbox is ON if you want to attach your signature that you set up in the "My Controls" area.

[*](Optional) Ensure the "Enable email notification of replies" checkbox is ON if you want to be notified by email whenever someone posts a reply to this topic (note: you can have this always be set to ON in your "My Controls" area).

[*](Optional) Choose an Icon at the bottom under the "Post Icons" section if you want one of the Icons displayed next to your Topic title in the Forum area.

[*](Optional) If you wish to upload a picture into the topic do the following:

[*]Click the [ Browse ] button under the "File Attachments" section.

[*]Browse your computer and choose the picture you wish to upload.

[*]Click the [ Add This Attachment ] button.

[*]Place the cursor where you wish to have the picture appear in the big white box and click the [ Add into Post ] button to the right of the corresponding file at the bottom under the "File Attachments" section.

(note: there is a file size limit for each member and you can see your remaining free available space to the left of the [ Browse ] button.)

>>> Example pic >>> example.zip

[*]Scroll down and hit the [Post New Topic] button.

[*]Done!

Creating_a_Topic.txt

Edited by yoos