Testing: MoDaCo / Alexa Internet Explorer Toolbar

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul [MVP]

So I was having a browse around the Alexa web site yesterday, and I came across a page that gave me the ability to build a custom MoDaCo toolbar, as show below...

toolbarscreenshot.gif

The toolbar offers pop up blocking, site ranking, related sites etc. etc., and most importantly, a button to load up MoDaCo instantly! ;)

Check it out, and let me know if you think it's useful ;)

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD

P

PS The toolbar is for IE only

Guest James

Aaaaaaaa... isnt he nice ;)

thanks Paul... will install

EDIT: cant see the MoDaCo button? when installed IE went to another site that was blocked. i think it had to go there to get the button?

Guest Confucious

I think this probably says more about MS antispyware than alexa ;)

Try running adaware Paul and see what you get.

Guest bluesmudge
,May 20 2005, 10:28]Hmmm, i'm running MSAntiSpyware, will check it out now...

P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

All toolbars are spyware - especially as you got it from a company that gave it to you for free, they get paid in information - everytime you use it to search for something , or even click the modaco button they will be couting hits / where you're going. They use the info to pass on to third parties, or for their own advertising purposes.

If its a quick link you want use firefox, it allows you to put toolbar bookmarks on . . . infact just use firefox

Last time i check microsoft are still telling people to use three diffrent anti spyware programs, especially while beta.

I always reccommend Spybot Search and Distroy , Adaware, and Microsoft Anti spyware.

The first two are avalible from download.com

Edited by bluesmudge

Guest Paul [MVP]

Yeah, there is only a beta atm.

BUT... I have found it very good thus far, cleaning peoples mega-infected PCs when apps such as adaware have failed!

P

Guest James

LOADS of Reg values mostly.... and 2x dll

post-2777-1116585636_thumb.jpg

I have also used MS Beta... with good results.. but its not installed right now as i had to re-image my PC

Guest bluesmudge
,May 20 2005, 10:40]Yeah, there is only a beta atm.

BUT... I have found it very good thus far, cleaning peoples mega-infected PCs when apps such as adaware have failed!

P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

couldn't agree more - but it is still a beta, and it probably isn't showing as spyware becuase you installed it . . . . doesn't mean its not gathering information about you.

My god i just realised i've probably spoilt what was a thoughtful idea for modaco users . . . sorry - i suppose if it wasn't for adware i wouldn't get paid ;)

Edited by bluesmudge

Guest Gears

MS AntiSpyware is pretty funky, however toolbars get on my tits unfortunately. They're similar to the paper-clip in word, "Hey, it looks like you're doing a search for something, do you want me to chuck up some adverts?" and that damned frog ..

Hmmmmm...

Great idea but anything linked to alexa I give a miss.

Guest magical_trevor

The Alexa toolbar is recognised by Spybot as spyware because it collects information on browsing habits. As has already been mentioned, if you want a button to get to modaco more quickly then download firefox, it's faster and more secure than IE and it can handle .png transparency properly as well as doing a load of other good things...

Guest Confucious

Paul - looks like another good idea but doesn't seem like you'll have many takers and you'll probably get lots of complaints if people do use it when there anti spyware products catch it.

You must spend a lot of time finding goodies for us and most of them are appreciated but not this one.

Thanks

Guest Paul [MVP]

lol, don't worry about it, it was a 5 minute setup, lol!

I actually use Firefox most of the time myself, and it is excellent!

On a slightly different subject, has anyone tried Netscape 8 yet? It's allegedly includes both the IE and Mozilla engines for maximum compatability...

P

Guest Confucious
On a slightly different subject, has anyone tried Netscape 8 yet? It's allegedly includes both the IE and Mozilla engines for maximum compatability...

P

Not seen that yet - I might try it this weekend and see how it compares to Firefox.

Thx.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.