Install newest QTek 8010 firmware on SPV C500

Guest jakobdam

Guest stuchad

All

I have now installed this QTEK firmware onto my (originally) UK Orange SPV C500 and it's gone on a treat. However, I can't seem to get the MMS thing working. I now have a Virgin Mobile SIM card in it.

I go to:

Start/Settings/Data Connections/Menu-1 (Edit Connections)/GPRS Connections/Add

and try to add a GPRS profile called Virgin MMS. However, when I try to select an option in the 'Connects to' field, I don't have 'MMS' as one of the choices.

I've followed all the instructions I can find with loads of searches on Modaco and Google, but it still gets nowhere. When I try to send MMS's, it just seems to build up GPRS data flows without ever delivering. And when I receive an MMS, I receive a very strange looking MMS/text message/Email notification that asks me to download the MMS - when I do, it just keeps trying and trying and building up yet more GPRS data charges. In short, it seems to be treating MMS messages as emails!

Help. Anyone else has this since upgrading to this ROM? The options were there before when I had an unlocked Orange-software-driven SPV with my Virgin SIM card.

Cheers

Stuart

Edited by stuchad

Guest freshjuice
Qtek recently started requiring registration to get their updates. If you have a Qtek device u'll need to enter your imei to gain access.

Apparently is doesn't like my IMEI, as it's not a QTek Phone. This ROM upgrade may no longer work for non QTek owners.

Guest mwiberg
Apparently is doesn't like my IMEI, as it's not a QTek Phone. This ROM upgrade may no longer work for non QTek owners.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I personally own a Qtek 8020 which I bought from Expansys, but my IMEI is not accepted by Qtek (even though my phone is indeed a Qtek).

Expansys tells me to look for upgrades from Qtek.se and Qtek tells me that Expansys should provide them for me..

Where should I turn to get hold of the files I need??

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest late_starter

I was crazy enough to buy a QTEK 8020 from Expansys. It was full of bugs and had very old firmware 1.1.31.21. I ran into the QTEK-says-Expansys-should-provide-updates-and-Expansys-says-Qtek-should-provide-updates problem immediately. The phone had the following problems (with the old firmware) -

*GPRS came and went at random

*GPRS frequently would not disconnect

*when typing into login boxes, particularly the YAHOO login, the phone always started by inserting 2 characters at a time, forcing me to go back and delete the errors

*I had difficulty answering phone calls

*IE took ages to start and download pages

*whole thing very slow and unreliable

After reading this thread about 10 times I got the idea that some of this might be put right if I could update the ROM myself. I found what looks like the latest ROM for the 8020 by searching a Norwegian smartphone site called -

http://www.smartmobil.no

However this wouldn't run and reported "Vendor ID invalid". So I had no choice but to try to use the TyphoonNBF tool to see if I could make the nbf file lose interest in the Vendor of my phone. The term Vendor did not appear in the headers reported by TyphoonNBF so I took a chance on this meaning the same as Operator and deleted the Operator given in the ROM upgrade which looked like a Scandinavian company.

However when I tried to save the edited nbf file I got the same I/O errror message that others had complained of. This really threw me until I read the post that explains that the nbf file is left open by the Upgrade Utility and therefore cannot be written to. Eventually I understood that it was necessary to de-archive the Upgrade Utility so that it was possible to get at the nbf file, edit it, save it elsewhere, delete the original and replace it with the new edited file.

Then I ran the de-archived Utility and hoped that my guess about Vendor=Operator would prove to be correct otherwise I would have done all that work for zero!

I am absolutely delighted to report that it worked. The upgrade seems to have solved all my problems and I am extremely grateful to everyong who posted on this thread. The phone cost about £180 and it was working like something worth £30. A depressing scenario, but now I am happy. I can only say that Qtek and expansys provide useless customer support. I was particularly disgusted by Qtek's trick with IMEI numbers on their web site which means that Qtek phones bought in the UK (I assume) are simply not accepted and access to the updates is denied. Absolutely disgraceful. I assume Expansys supply no update files because they would have to pay Qtek for the privilege and that would eat into their precious profits.

Thanks to everyone who wrote to this thread. I am really glad this very old thread was left here. It has made a bit of a disaster into something really quite good. Brilliant!

Bob

Guest late_starter
Hi, will it be an english ROM?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The ROM upgrade from -

http://www.smartmobil.no

announces itself as 2.1.31.23 when the phone boots up.

I just did a search for '8020' and found a thread with a link

to it. The link may use the number 2.5.31.77 which is confusing,

but the upgrade is definitely 2.1.31.23 and boots in English,

but you can of course change the language setting.

• 4 weeks later...

Now - playtime!

Download and install this program:

CLICK HERE

Choose "Smartphone 2002,2003 (ARM/PXA)"

then Download... copy the CAB-file to your phone, then run it - and it installs.

It's seems like the link is dead. Would you mind posting a new link or attaching the relevant cab-file here in order to install my native language after a ROM upgrade?

• 9 months later...
Guest Revenge

Hello.

I Have a Qtek 8010, I bought it here in Portugal and it was Unlocked when i bought it.

Its safe for me to update the rom? My rom version is 1.1.31.11, its very old i think, and the reason i wanna update its cause my TomTOm 5 don't recognise my Holux 236 and i hope with the new rom it will recognise it.

Where can i download the Rom? I don't find it on www.qtek.se.

And the Rom come in Portuguese? If not, English its fine also.

Will my Qtek still be unlocked and aceppt my Vodafone Portugal SIM?

Thanks in Advanced

Guest awarner (MVP)

It is unlikely that a ROM update will fix your TomTom problems. TomTom was designed and sold with the TomTom GPS unit and getting other devices to work can be a problem.

Have you tried updating to the 5.2 version of TomTom which should be still available from the TomTom web site.

As for SIM unlocking, updating the phone will not affect this but I am not sure if Qtek released a Portugese version of their update.

As for downloading the ROM you may have to contact Qtek directly, normally the Roms are only accessible once you register your phone with them.

Guest Revenge

I think there's a bug on the Com Port od the version that i have, and on newer versions that bug is resolved.

Can someone download the Rom from Qtek site and put it on another place, i can't download it there :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...