mp3 ring tones

Guest justsomeone

Guest justsomeone

hello all,

..now that i have a good supply of mp3s on my m2000, i'm wondering if it is possible to use any of them as ring tones ? if so, how ? i currently have my ring tone as 'old phone', but wouldn't it be cool to have it as faithless or coldplay !

Guest vampires
hello all,

..now that i have a good supply of mp3s on my m2000, i'm wondering if it is possible to use any of them as ring tones ? if so, how ? i currently have my ring tone as 'old phone', but wouldn't it be cool to have it as faithless or coldplay !

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hiya you need to convert your mp3's to WAV files to use them as ringtones, there are plenty of freeware/shareware programs out there that will do the job for you, Including Itunes.

I usually convert them to 12000khz sample rate and 8bit mono and then take a 20 sec slice to use as the ringtone. This sounds great on the speaker.

P.S I also use audio ripped for dvd's for ringtones/text alerts.

The Vampire Lestat

Guest the_evertonian
I usually convert them to 12000khz sample rate and 8bit mono

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know how to convert MP3s to WAV files, and I have software that allows you to create a separate shortened file from the original track, but how do you do that other stuff?

Guest Disco Stu

Use Windows Sound Recorder to adjust wavs.

It is in Programs, Accessories, Entertainment on the PC.

You can save them as the necessary PCM format and choose from a selection of bit/khz combinations.

Guest sprouts42

Back in the day I had a program called sonniare or something like that for my spv. That allowed you to use mp3s on your storage card as a ringtone. Dunno if it would work on a PPC or if there is an alternative around.

Guest justsomeone

hello all,

..er, i understood everything as far as "hiya", vampy. everything else kinda went whooosh over me head.

i was hoping it'd be relatively easy process, but i guess i was wrong.

Guest Shaunfarris

Convert them to WMA and then sticke them in the Rings folder.

This way you can also play them as music too, rather than mp3's

Guest justsomeone

hello all,

is anyone out there willing to go through this process stage by stage... eg. stage 1 turn on device, stage 2 click on 'start' ? i realise we'd end up numbering into the hundreds etc, but come on chaps, i'm worth it !

• 4 weeks later...
Guest JCopeland8814

Ok I understand the idea of converting my mp3's to wavs and getting them into the ring folder on the phone but a little less complex way of doing the converting for us newbies would be great.

thanks chaps

Guest Madeye

Right, download this program: db Music Converter

It's only a trial (30 days) but it's great!

Open the installed program from your start menu, select the mp3 you want to convert - press open (or whatever the button says), select "wave" from the dropdown list, change settings if you feel brave or want to experiment or just press convert.

Voila a wav from an mp3.

This will be a large file tho, so you may want to cut it down. I use a program called audacity (can't be bothered to find the link - google it) or the windows sound recorder may do the job. Not sure.

Have fun!

Guest Shaunfarris

Hi again,

I use MTUX RingtoneX, not expensive at all, it allows you to assign individual ringtones to every contact or group, it allows you to specify the folder on the storage card to use for tones and supports WMA, MP3, WAV etc.

For converting tones to use as songs as well, i just use Window Media 10 which includes a MP3 or WMA ripper as standard. This means all I need to do is rip a cd from my collection into MP3 or WMA format copy it to my storage card and listen to mucic on the device, then if I wish to use any as ringtones just select the ones with good intros and use RingtoneX to select them as ringtones.

Shaun

Guest matt1971

Hi,

What I do to use a WMA file for a ringtone is:

Copy the track from CD to PC using WM

Use movie maker, start a new project and use the wma file as source.

Select the 30secs of audio you want

Then save out the audio part at the compression rate you want.

Copy file back to SPV

Matt

Guest justsomeoneelseagain

hello all,

..aww, thanks madeye and matt1971... see, there ARE nice people out there ! :) ..i wanted to keep it short as i might not be here for much longer...

Guest pjh2903
hello all,

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You do not need to convert mp3's just copy the attached file to your pda and install, open file explorer and browse to your mp3 file, tap and hold then when the menu comes up select set as ringtone.

EnglishMP3SetRingtone.CAB

Guest justsomeoneelseagain
You do not need to convert mp3's just copy the attached file to your pda and  install, open file explorer and browse to your mp3 file, tap and hold then when the menu comes up select set as ringtone.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hello pjh2903,

..not sure what i did, but after loading that program i totally er... well let's just say i had to do a hard reset. thanks anyway for trying to help...

Edited by justsomeoneelseagain

Guest nigidivitch
You do not need to convert mp3's just copy the attached file to your pda and  install, open file explorer and browse to your mp3 file, tap and hold then when the menu comes up select set as ringtone.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cool!

• 1 month later...
Guest Deano440

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Anyone else tried this?... Does it work?, or have you had problems as justsomeoneelseagain did??

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest Ceilidh

Unless you use some third-party software to enable it, you can't use mp3's as ringtones. They have to be in Windows Media format (.wma) instead of .mp3 . Then you should be able to tap and hold over the file until the menu comes up, and there'll be a "Set as Ringtone" option. Works for .wav too.