UK ADSL reccomendations

Guest yzbob

Guest youngerpants

PlusNet

£20.99 per month with monthly billing (no 12 month contract like the one I'm stuck with on BT)

and the best news... Fixed IP address!!!

That PlusNet deal seems really good. Had any probs? Much contention?

I'm in South London with Pipex. 23 quid something a month, no minimum contract, but no fixed IP.

Not had any probs so far and not contention at the mo. Their support's supposed to take forever and a day to answer the phone if you do have problems though...

Barry

thanks for the advice i'll look into plusnet sounds cheap, i like fact its not a year contract, i was lookin into pipex as the dont have a year contract either. is it 512k?

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

I have a 2meg line with Pipex, coming in at a cool £140ish a month. Their support is shite, but the service is good in general. Once after having problems with connectivety I phoned their tech support asking if they were experiencing any problems. The best solution they could come up with was to "reboot my lan". I think I hung up at that point...

PlusNet

£20.99 per month with monthly billing (no 12 month contract like the one I'm stuck with on BT)

and the best news... Fixed IP address!!!

Ah, rereading this I see you not on it yet. Hmmm... anyone else? Might not be the best...

Guest Gorskar

Well I've found pipex gives a rock solid adsl performance, and they have some good deals on at the moment. better to go for the 1month min contract though and buy a router for yourself if you ask me.

Your best place for adsl advice is www.adslguide.org.uk

Guest Gorskar

Actually, rereading that if you are in the London area you might be able to get the bulldog LLU product which is £35/m for 1MB/s down/400k up, or £40/m for 2Mb/s down/400k up (although limited to 500k down during ofice hours I think) Worth looking into if you want seriously high speed ADSL at affordable prices!

Guest youngerpants

I have a few mates on the plusnet deal and they seem happy. I have even used them for one of my companies sattelite (sp) offices to link to our VPN using a Cisco 1710 router (cheap DSL VPN router). It has its problems, but no more so than the other DSL re-sellers. For home use its fine (and cheap as chips!). The support seems better than BT, but who isn't?

i've been looking on plusnet web site and it seems that thier cheap deal is only £20 for 10hrs a week and they dont support file sharing apps (which is 1 of the reasons i'm getting it) is this a similar case for all isps.

the reason i want adsl is so i can be online 24/7 not to be limited to 10 hrs a week.

do pipex limit the time u can spend online? and do they stop you using files sharing apps?

thanks for all the info folks, extremely useful.

Pipex don't limit time or apps, but the 23 quid deal with PlusNet doesn't either.

However now you're at the same price as Pipex (though there are bonuses with the PlusNet deal - fixed IP, 250Mb space). However as I say Pipex is established and has been around for ages. Not so sure about PlusNet as I've never heard of them, but I'm no expert and they might be fine...

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Pipex are established, but their CS suck.

PlusNet cheap/featured, but they are knew/unknown

Personally i'd go with PlusNet, thats just me though...

Guest awarner [MVP]

I use NTL

Great perfomance + free installation and modem ;)

Costs £24.99 month and is 600k not 512k

Another thing to remember is contention ratio,

Most carriers example Bt have a ratio of 50:1

where as NTL have an excellent low 20:1

So you have less chance of a slowdown :lol:

Guest janagan

I am with Homechoice, i Pay £35 a month for which i get 1 MB DL, a tiny 90KB UL. + all their tv channels except sports. And oh yes their network is rock solid.

NTL is ok, its 600k access for a start for 25quid a month. Slightly more bandwidth than other competitors at the same price.

Support is shite

When it works it is good, but u will find it not workin quite a lot of the time...

luckilly i now have 10mbit connection in my room now all for 100quid a year! God bless UMIST University!

Guest awarner [MVP]
When it works it is good, but u will find it not workin quite a lot of the time...

I suppose I depends where you are in the country :?

As I've never had a problem here in Southampton

as NTL is franchised out it could be the reason

Guest Gorskar
NTL is ok, its 600k access for a start for 25quid a month. Slightly more bandwidth than other competitors at the same price.  

Support is shite

luckilly i now have 10mbit connection in my room now all for 100quid a year! God bless UMIST University!

Hehe, me2. Im in Moberly Hall on the main Uni of manchester campus. Ah bliss.

Guest Gorskar

A long walk to get to umist or a decent supermarket from there.

That little tescos has a rubbish range.

I usually walk to the ASDA in Hulme, less then 10 mins from here, and of course to get to Uni I just have to cross the road ;)

Guest Saracen

I'm on Force9 (the same netowrk as PlusNet). It's always been rock solid. They had contention and seed issues a few months back, but all's sorted. There's a £20.99 deal and a £22.99 deal that includes website, and use of P2P. I definitely recommend it. It's fixed IP too.