C550 Battery life very poor

Guest toon9

Guest Pagemakers

I've swapped the battery over in the phones for today's test and will post my findings later.

IMHO - The battery life of my 550 so far is just a bit better then my E200 :)

Toon: I use Smart SS for the screen captures.

Guest Jay3gsm

Why do you guys charge the batteries for 16, 17 hours initially? There's no need anymore. Same as recharging, why wait til the battery is run down? I charge my phone pretty much every day, give it a top up charge and it runs phone. The new lithium ion and lithium polymer batteries are pretty much designed to be used in this way, for better performance. As such I've had no battery issues with my C550, even over the weekend when I'd left my charger at work I lost one bar from Friday night to Monday morning.

Guest Pagemakers
I've swapped the battery over in the phones for today's test and will post  my findings later.

IMHO - The battery life of my 550 so far is just a bit better then my E200 :)

Toon: I use Smart SS for the screen captures.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well here's today's findings:

As you can see above I have swapped my C500/550 batteries around to confirm if I had a faulty battery.

The results are staggering.....

Both phones charged all night and left at home while I went to work.

I have just arrived home to find the C500 still on FULL battery and the C550 has switch off with NO battery power whatsoever!

Needless to say the C550's going back tomorrow.

I am amazed why the battery on my C550 should drain so quickly in standby, yet other users are reporting much better battery life (well a few are).

Guest Confucious

Well, I forgot to charge mine last night. It had been charged overnight the previous night and with light usage, no BT but checking for emails (really must remember to turn that off when I get home) the batterey was as the pancake this morning.

Not impressed.

My C500 would last 4-5 days with similar usage aklthough I noticed a marked degradation in the C500's battery life after the 4.2.11 upgrade - especially with BT usage.

Only 1 day of battery life is not acceptable -not sure wether to send the phone back within my 14 days - apart fgrom the appalling batery the phone is great!

Guest Pondrew

If not an explanation then a contributing factor to the C550 quickly running out the C500 battery is that a C500 battery is just 1050mah while the C550 has a BETTER (read higher capacity) 1150mah battery. :?:

Well here's today's findings:

As you can see above I have swapped my C500/550 batteries around to confirm if I had a faulty battery.

The results are staggering.....

Both phones charged all night and left at home while I went to work.

I have just arrived home to find the C500 still on FULL battery and the C550 has switch off with NO battery power whatsoever!

Needless to say the C550's going back tomorrow.

I am amazed why the battery on my C550 should drain so quickly in standby, yet other users are reporting much better battery life (well a few are).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest george7

From what I've heard, when you first get your phone, you should fully charge it, then use it until the battery is fully discharged, then fully charge it, then let the battery fully discharge. After this you shouldn't let the battery go below 30%

Guest Pagemakers

I've found what the problem is!!!!

In power management settings there is an option for "Display Timeout" (It is a known problem (from user comments) on the C550 that even with this option set to "never" the screen does turn so dim it is unreadable after the time which is set by the "Backlight Timeout Option"). However, with the "Display Timeout" option set to "never" on the C550 the battery drains at a rate of 10% per hour giving your phone a battery life of approx 10 hours!!!!

Turn the "Display Timeout" to anything other than "never" and your C550 battery will be almost as good as the C500's.

The problem now is WHY does the battery drain so dramatically on this setting.

I for one don't like my display going blank after 30/60/90 seconds etc and trust that someone somewhere is working on a fix.

Edited by Pagemakers

Guest Pondrew

In power management settings there is an option for "Display Timeout" (It is a known problem on the C550 that even with this option set to "never" the screen does turn so dim it is unreadable after the time which is set by the "Backlight Timeout Option").  However, with the "Display Timeout" option set to "never" on the C550 the battery drains at a rate of 10% per hour giving your phone a  battery life of approx 10 hours!!!!

Turn the "Display Timeout" to anything other than "never" and your C550 battery will be almost as good as the C500's.

I for one don't like my display going blank after 30/60/90 seconds etc and trust that someone somewhere is working on a fix.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Okaaaay. So you've been telling the C550 to keep the screen on at all times and wonder why the battery life is poor!?

The backlight consumes power, the screen also consumes power. Any device (MDA III, MDA Compact, E200, C500) will quickly run down the battery if you set screen turn off to never! Even if the backlight is off! Do a test on the C500 if you don't believe me...

As for the problem with a dim screen, I'm afraid it's due to the implementation/construction and technology involved (QVGA screen). The backlight is required for the screen to be visable until they redesign it.

Anyway, glad the problem is resolved and hope this helps the other guys with the same problem.

Guest Pagemakers

No I've NOT been telling it to keep the backlight on at all.

I've been telling it to keep the "Display" on. IE: Turn the backlight off and keep the display on. Just like I do with my C500 and that goes for days and days with the backlight off and the display screen on.

Just for info, I have 2 C500's here and if you keep the screen on there is virtually no difference in the battery discharge time between display on and display off.

I totally disagree with your comment that the display on "will quickly run down the battery". The backlight yes, but not the display (although that obvioyusly isn't the case with the C550)

Guest Pondrew
No  I've NOT been telling it to keep the backlight on at all.

I've been telling it to keep the "Display" on.  IE: Turn the backlight off and keep the display on.  Just like I do with my C500 and that goes for days and days with the backlight off and the display screen on.

Just for info, I have 2 C500's here and if you keep the screen on there is virtually no difference in the battery discharge time between display on and display off.

I totally disagree with your comment that the display on "will quickly run down the battery".  The backlight yes, but not the display (although that obvioyusly isn't the case with the C550)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wasn't accusing you of leaving the backlight on. Was referring to the screen.

Strange, must be a QVGA thing then. You can turn off the backlight and leave the screen on on a pocket pc phone but the battery dies VERY quickly also. That's why I was surprised at the suggestion this behaviour was peculiar to the C550. But if you've tested that setting on the C500 I take it back.

Guest Pagemakers

I totally agree about a PDA, but honestly on my C500 I've never had the "display timeout" on anything other than "never".

Try it and a beer on me if your battery life gives any noticeable difference :)

Personally, I can't see why on earth you want to screen to turn off in the first place. You then have to keep pressing the backlight on (using more battery) just to check for messages, appointments etc.

(No offence taken or suggested, just good old friendly banter).

Edited by Pagemakers

Guest Pondrew
(No offence taken or suggested, just good old friendly banter).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed and non taken.

Will be interesting to see how other QVGA Smartphones behave with that setting...

Guest Killua110

HEy i recieved my c550 today abnd i found something strange... when it came the battery had the exlamation mark stating its low then after a 5 min charge it was 100% ( maybe it was already fully charged?) anyway when i played with the phone taking several pictures listening to music... the battery bar didnt go down but on the power management it had gone down to 75% after 4 hrs.

Now i wanted to put it back to the charger to make sure it has a full charge but when i did and came back 2 mins later its back to 100%?????

So strange anyone help?

like in the above the display stuff aint on never also i wasnt using gprs only activesynced about 9 times, watched videos and music for 30 mins and took pics for maybe 20 mins?

Edited by Killua110

Guest toon9

In power management settings there is an option for "Display Timeout" (It is a known problem (from user comments) on the C550 that even with this option set to "never" the screen does turn so dim it is unreadable after the time which is set by the "Backlight Timeout Option").  However, with the "Display Timeout" option set to "never" on the C550 the battery drains at a rate of 10% per hour giving your phone a  battery life of approx 10 hours!!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't want to throw a spanner in the works here Pagemakers, as you know.

However, I've just got my C550 back out of it's box and the settings I had previously applied for "Display Timeout" was 1 hour. I was hoping it had been set to "Never".

I'm with you on the argument that I don't like having to press any keys to see the

screen on my phone.

I'm going to give it a try at the lowest setting and see if I can live with it for a few days.

To be honest though, I've just resigned myself to the fact I was going to have to stick with my C500.

I'm going to be in turmoil if this gets sorted out with some kind of work-a-round and then have to decide whether to just learn to live with the C550

It certainly would be interesting to hear from all those that have championed the cause of the C550 battery to find out what power mangement settings they have applied.

Guest Pagemakers

Toon, I think an hour will drain your battery quickly still.

You need to set it at 1-2 mins.

Yes you will get a black screen after this time which is a real pain I know.

I honestly hope it's just a software glitch and not how it's going to be otherwise like you, I'll go back to my 500.

Guest pd.ryder

My battery last 'forever' compared with the E200 I've just shelved.

I have always relied on audible prompts to notify me of incoming messages/appointments etc and have never felt the need for a constantly on screen. If I had done that with my old 200, I'd have needed to charge it every few hours :)

Guest Pagemakers

So when you pull the phone out of your pocket in a noisy environment, or if you've left it on your desk or in another room or if its on "dead quite" (one of my profiles for meetings with no vib), you have to keep turning the screen on to check for emails etc instead of simply glancing at your phone.

At the end of the day we all have different requirements. You choose one option and I choose another. The fact of the matter is, if the option to leave the screen on is an option within the the phone's O/S and I elect to use it, the phone should not go from 100% to zero battery in 10 hours when it is supposed to last on standby for "6 days" (144 hours). That's about as much use as a chocolate fire guard.

In fairness the E100/200 (which I've also had) are completely different beasts and should not be compared to the C500/550 in terms of battery life.

Edited by Pagemakers

Guest pd.ryder

Yup, it's on for 30 seconds, then off again. It seems to work for me.

The 550's screen if practically invisible without the backlight anyway so unless I use a torch or try to get sunlight through the glazing......

Roll on OLED screens :)

Guest ajb3000

My battery seems to last forever if I leave the phone on the shelf and not touch it, but as soon as I do anything it runs down incredibly fast, a 10 minute phone call ran it down 30%!! Surely that can't be right.

Guest Seraphic
my battery is grate it lasts about 7 days if donsent get toched!!!!

no compainlts at all

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Whats the point in having a phone if you aren't going to use it? That defeats the whole point.

Guest Simon Desser

I'm not really using my C550 anymore (prefer my qtek 8100) :)

Last night my C550 battery was showing as 36%, I listened to about 15 minutes of music, checked my battery level again, and it was 2% :evil:

So basically, I don't think the C550 always reports an accurate battery level, as well as suffering from a perfectly respectable battery life on stand-by, UNTIL you actually use the phone, and then it dies very quickly :?:

Guest Killua110

when you play video or music do any of you lose 2% straight away?

i fully charged it last night and quickly listened to music for 1 min then watch a vid for 4 mins then it went from 99 to 97.

OMG i just checked now its 95.... ITS LIKE IM LOSING 2% EVERY 5 MINS.

Alrite i came back and the theory on my c550 is whenever i use it...... i lose like 2% everytime...

Plus only charging up to 99% could my battery be faulty?

Edited by Killua110

Guest hotphil
when you play video or music do any of you lose 2% straight away?

i fully charged it last night and quickly listened to music for 1 min then watch a vid for 4 mins then it went from 99 to 97.

OMG i just checked now its 95.... ITS LIKE IM LOSING 2% EVERY 5 MINS.

Alrite i came back and the theory on my c550 is whenever i use it...... i lose like 2% everytime...

Plus only charging up to 99% could my battery be faulty?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think you may be reading a little too much into the accuracy of the battery meter.