REQ: Registry Help

Guest Alex (nedge2k)

Guest nedge2k

Anyone know where the reg settings for system sounds are stored in 2003?

For smartphone everything is neat and tidy under \HKCU\Control Panne\Sounds

...but for PPC only a few of the sounds are there. A few more can be found in \HKCU\Control Pannel\Notifications\ but a few of the system sounds are still missing.

Does anyone know where they are stored?

I tried that SoundzCool program to see if they even existed as event sounds and they do but that app only lets you change the sound not the script and i like things to vibrate :)

I can't for the life of me see where they'd be stored. I even tried looking for any xml files that might be holding the info but no luck. I'm 90% certain the settings are kept in the reg....but where!?

TIA

Edited by nedge2k

Guest bretto

In the PPC each notification can have its own sound

There is a key for each notification type under

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Notifications

and each key will have its own options and sound to play. The options is a special number that denotes what to do. Vibrate, flash light, play sound, etc.

Alternatively you can go into Start->Settings->Sounds and Notifications and setup what you require.

Is this what you are after?

Guest nedge2k

Yeh i found them but not all the sounds missing from \HKCU\CP\Sounds are in \HKCU\CP\Notifications. Sounds like system start, system astrix, question, menucommand, menupopup and others are missing from the usual places. I know they exist somewhere as that Soundzcool app was able to change them. I want to set the system sounds to av0p.

Edited by nedge2k

Guest bretto
Yeh i found them but not all the sounds missing from \HKCU\CP\Sounds are in \HKCU\CP\Notifications. Sounds like system start, system astrix, question, menucommand, menupopup and others are missing from the usual places. I know they exist somewhere as that Soundzcool app was able to change them. I want to set the system sounds to av0p.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

EDIT: sorry wrong key

Anyway here is an extract from the pocketpc sdk help

//start of help

Sound Files

Microsoft® Windows® Powered Pocket PC uses sounds for ring tones, alerts, notifications, event feedback, and the media player. This section discusses the different sound formats that Pocket PC supports and instructions for downloading, installing, and deleting ring tones. Sounds offer the mobile operator another method of providing a consistent experience to the user.

The mobile operator or the original equipment manufacturer (OEM) can load default sound files onto Pocket PC so that they are available when the user takes the device out of the box. Mobile operators can post more sound files on their Web sites for users to download later. Ring tones and notification sounds are stored in persistent memory so that they will not be lost if the user removes the battery.

Note Sound profiles are not supported on Pocket PC.

//end of help

At a guess like so many other things on the PPC maybe the sounds are named specific names?? If they exist then they are played? Are you able to use that software you mentioned to see if it adds sound files (specific names) to the windows dir?

Edited by bretto

Guest bretto

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OK Ive found a couple of things.

MenuPop.wav is in \windows and this is the Menu sound

msgbox.wav is also in \windows

A bit of exploration with that sound prog you mentioned and I think you might be in business.

Guest nedge2k

Yeh i thought it might be playing the sound based on its name but that turned out not to be the case. I pulled the menusel and menupop .wav's from my SP and got soundzcool to add them. On PPC menupop.wav == menupop.wav but menusel.wav == hwandsw.wav. So somewhere it has set the PPC to look for (in this case) menusel1.wav as the sound to play when u select a menu item.

I've been scouring msdn and cant find a thing and have done a full search of the reg to find menusel1.wav but its not there. It must be written to some configuration file.

That app is fine for changing all the sounds but doesnt allow you to change the script.

soundzcool_1.gif

Edited by nedge2k