Samsung i300 review incl. HDD

Guest Jakob

Guest Jakob

And as the review shows, hard disc drives in mobile phones are a very long way from daily use.

Remember amperes and watts?

A SD card reading will use ~0,24watt.

A HDD (Toshiba) will use ~1,4watt - thats 5 times more power.

And in standby (disk stopped) the difference is 0,00075watts for the SD and 0,2 watt for the HDD. Thats about 266times more energy.

Solid state is the way ahead.

/Jakob

Over at Mobile Review they have a complete review of the new Samsung i300 with HDD.

Use this URL Mobile Review

/Jakob

pic15.jpg

Thanks to Anton Kotov from Mobile-Review..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest squall

on the power thing i think there is a trade off, solid state is powered when the device is on, however i assume disks would only switch on when it was going to be used, and then the info would be saved in the phones own memory so the disk could power down again.

When it comes to things like video and mp3 the disk would have to stay powered so the battery would drop quickly, but as i said a trade off....?

Guest koifish

design wise i would have expected Samsung to do better, the screen size with large side trim is a definitive turn off for me, as for the joystick i would have to put my finger on it to judge. I second the motion, the future of mobile data storage lies in solid state

Guest louisg

i jsut wish they would have a concrete release date.

Will it be out on Orange? will orange have it in testing for months and chamge the software on it?

How much for a upgrade?

Louis

Guest Confucious

You can get MiniSD cards of 1Gb and SD cards of 4Gb now - so what's the point of a 3Gb HD? Apart from extra weight, more moving parts extra power consumption.....

Guest ricardo the fish

Agree with Tunney, I like the looks, but why not have the screen the same size as the C550? + power comsuption is somewhat high, but that may improve before it's released (hopefully :) )

Guest Liquidice
You can get MiniSD cards of 1Gb and SD cards of 4Gb now - so what's the point of a 3Gb HD? Apart from extra weight, more moving parts extra power consumption.....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree, but maybe its because of the media...

"WOW! the first phone with a hdd that's awesome, and a 3gb one!!!

while

"wow! the first phone with a 3gb memorycard, but there are allready phones with memorycards and some have a capacity of reading 4gb minisd memorycards when they are invented (C500, C550...)"

doesnt sound as groundbreaking as the first one does it? :roll:

we who know alittle more, we would rather have a 3gb memory card than a 3gb hdd (atleast i do) but i think they want to get to the ppl that likes music alot (and got money) that doesn't know much about SPs, etc...

And thats why I'm wondering if you would be able to change the 3gb hdd to a SD or CF card or any other card that fould fit (altough the warranty wouldnt be valid). Anyone tried this with another product like an Ipod, PPC, anything :)

EDIT: spelling

Edited by Liquidice

• 2 weeks later...
Guest PayOnAnswer

My first post, so please excuse me if I get anything wrong! This is the most recent thread I can find for the i300 so I guess this is the place to start.

So, as reported on coolsmartphone.com, the i300 is advertised on the O2 Website as being available from October. Having had the C500 from launch, I could get a PAC code from Orange and move over to this phone then.

This phone appeals over the (rumoured) spec of the C600 because of it’s 3GB HDD (I would prefer a smartphone + 3GB miniSD combo, for better battery performance, but I can’t see any signs of this). I use my phone for mobile music/video, and 3GB over the 1GB I have now, would make all the difference in choice of what to listen/watch.

My concerns are battery life, though I’m hoping performance could be improved by using a 256mb Trans flash card & copying say, whole albums from the HDD to flash, before listening to them from the Flash Card.

The lack of Windows Mobile 5.0 is also a dissapointment I guess, though at least all my existing applications will work.

Anyhow, just wondered if everyone else was thinking of going down the same road?

Guest Confucious

POA - As good a place as any to post :o

I still think the HD is a waste of time, too small and to power hungry. I'm sure larger MiniSD cards will become available. I think the C600 would be a bertter bet. But it's horses for courses, I use an iPod for music so I have 2 devices to carry round!

Guest PayOnAnswer

In my heart of heat, I think you're both right. Having said that, I've played the 'experimental' game with phones before (I owned a Canary before the C500 :o) so I'll probably end up getting it anyway. If I do, I'll post a mini review for anyone who might be interested.

Guest Confucious

I'm sure we'd all be interested, so long as you know what you're doing. Who knows? You might be pleasantly suprised. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

• 2 weeks later...

Q's for ppl worryin about hdd's in this device:

ANY HDD will be on constantly unless the phone is off or on standby. hdd's will use more energy and a more higher change of it being on and off within a matter of minutes as some ppl were suggesting that it would power itself off then switch it back on when activity is about to happen...

:o

Samsung I300 will have Windows Mobile 2003 apperently.... dont understand why no UK network has Windows Mobile 2005!!!

Guest PayOnAnswer
Q's for ppl worryin about hdd's in this device:

ANY HDD will be on constantly unless the phone is off or on standby. hdd's will use more energy and a more higher change of it being on and off within a matter of minutes as some ppl were suggesting that it would power itself off then switch it back on when activity is about to happen...

:o

Samsung I300 will have Windows Mobile 2003 apperently.... dont understand why no UK network has Windows Mobile 2005!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry for being dumb Tech but I'm not sure I completely understand. May I check my understanding?

I assumed that the HDD would be 'off' unless the phone needed to accesss data on the HDD. I also assumed that the O/S and 'default' data stoage would all be on solid state memory. Thus, the HDD would only be 'tuned on' if accessing files (e.g. media files) put on the HDD by the user.

However, are you saying that the HDD will be 'on' (and so using power) whenever the phone is being used, say to write a text message or make a phone call?

Further, if files (say an album folder of mp3 music tracks) were copied in one fall swoop to trans flash using a file explorer, and then 'accessed' (e.g. listened to) from there, would the HDD be used less (and therefore consume less power) then if the tracks were accessed direct from the HDD?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Please see MY answers in the bold! :o

Sorry for being dumb Tech but I'm not sure I completely understand. May I check my understanding?

you are not dumb :(

I assumed that the HDD would be 'off' unless the phone needed to accesss data on the HDD.

nope. Its like your computer hdd. it is never turned off unless you put it on standby or shut it down. If we take your understanding for example, it means the hdd has to power up, then down everytime it needs to write data. This causes the power to be used up more (powering up) and reduces ALOT of lifetime of the component.

I also assumed that the O/S and 'default' data stoage would all be on solid state memory. Thus, the HDD would only be 'tuned on' if accessing files (e.g. media files) put on the HDD by the user.

true, but it depends on the way the manufacturers designed the architecture of the phone. I guess the hdd is there just purely for storage unless they decided to store everything that is on memory to the hdd instead

However, are you saying that the HDD will be 'on' (and so using power) whenever the phone is being used, say to write a text message or make a phone call?

yup :lol:

Further, if files (say an album folder of mp3 music tracks) were copied in one fall swoop to trans flash using a file explorer, and then 'accessed' (e.g. listened to) from there, would the HDD be used less (and therefore consume less power) then if the tracks were accessed direct from the HDD?

Well i guess so but the HDD would still be on in other words, same power used, not less. It's either on (using full power) or off. Sometimes you may be able to reduce the power which means reducing the speed which also means data loss can occur at some points. I do not think it may be possible with such devices on mobile phones but you never know! :P doing so voids the warrenty

Thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks mate, hope that helps!