Bluetooth PC Controlling Software?

Guest Confused Stu

Guest Confused Stu

Back on my SPV Classic and my C500, I had a couple of programs that I used to use a lot. Originally it was Kingherc's Remote Control PC software (look in the MoDaCo downloads section) and lately I've moved onto Jeyo's Remote for Smartphones. The software, in both cases, allowed me to control my PC from the phone via Bluetooth (after Activesyncing it) and so run presentations at work without being tied to the PC's keyboard or mouse.

Now I've moved onto an M500, I'm wondering if anyone knows something similar for Pocket PC? In theory, the Terminal Client Services sounds like it would be even one step better (by showing the PC's screen on my phone!) but I'm running Windows XP Home on the laptop and everything says it can't be done. I've downloaded a couple of VNC programs, but they don't seem to work over Bluetooth and I don't fancy the GPRS costs (plus they were after IP addresses and Port numbers, and suddenly my username seemed REALLY appropriate!) :oops:

Apologies for the ramble, but has anyone stumbled over a PocketPC software that will allow the phone to control the PC via Bluetooth (and display the screen if the processor can handle it)?

Thanks for your time.

VNC works over bluetooth for me with no issues.

And its great.

Just install something like http://www.realvnc.com/ on the PC

Put this http://www.cs.utah.edu/~midgley/wince/vnc.html on the Magician.

Active sync with iNet passthrough on (so you can surf the web whilst active sync is connected)

fire up PPC VNC and put in your PC's local IP.

Sorted :-)

For the other way (PPC on PC screen use the excellent M$ Powertoy at http://www.snapfiles.com/get/pocketpc/msremotedisplay.html

Edited by rmg

Guest Confused Stu

Cheers mate - I'm with you up to installing the software! :oops:

I'm connected by Activesync with RealVNC running on the PC, then I go into the VNC program on the phone and it asks for an IP address and port number. My IP address comes up when I hover over the VNC symbol in the system tray, but which Port number should I use? The settings option on the PC side says to allow connections on port 5900, but this doesn't work when I put :5900 after my IP address.

Sorry to ask what's probably a really stupid question - I have honestly tried to work it out for myself! :)

Cheers mate - I'm with you up to installing the software!  :oops:

I'm connected by Activesync with RealVNC running on the PC, then I go into the VNC program on the phone and it asks for an IP address and port number.  My IP address comes up when I hover over the VNC symbol in the system tray, but which Port number should I use?  The settings option on the PC side says to allow connections on port 5900, but this doesn't work when I put :5900 after my IP address.

Sorry to ask what's probably a really stupid question - I have honestly tried to work it out for myself!  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you dont need a port number you need a screen number and you should use zero so after the ip adress put :0 (colon zero) try that.

Guest Confused Stu

Thanks a lot for your help Rmg - I'm now there and have VNC running! :)

In the end, I installed TightVNC on the PC side and used the app that you linked to for the PPC bit. In order to connect, I had to input into the phone the PC's IP address, followed by the port specified in TightVNC's settings - by default it was port 5900.

While stumbling round trying to get this to work, I also found this:

http://www.pebbles.hcii.cmu.edu/software/index.php

and it seems to act as a very easy and user friendly VNC, but it also allows you to see a tiny overview of the PC's screen - which the VNC doesn't do (at least none I've found yet). In short, it seems to be perfect for what I'm looking for - something to control Powerpoint presentations.

That said, you were right Rmg, VNC does indeed rock! ;)