Won't play mp3's

Guest smellati

Guest smellati

I installed pocket music on my smt 5600, and decided to delete it. Now my windows media player won't play mp3's. It says it doesent regonize the format or its corrupted. What should I do? :)

Guest Disco Stu

When you say you deleted it, do you mean you uninstalled it properly using thew Add/Remove Programs tool or just deleted the folder and shortcut ?

If you did the latter then reinstall it and uninstall it using the tool in either Settings or ActiveSync.

Next thing I would do is to use a file explorer / manager (Binarys' Smart Explorer is my preferred option) to reassociate MP3 files to Windows Media Player.

This hasn't happened to me (yet) but that method should clear your problem.

:)

Guest smellati

Thanks for your reply disco stu.

I uninstalled it through settings, and now I can't play them with media player no more. Is there a way to reinstall media player? How do I associated with media player through smart explorer? This is really making me upset. I have so many songs on my phone. :cry:

Guest Disco Stu

Okay, I've never even seen an SMT5600 so I hope this is the same as my C500.

Go into Smart Explorer, hit File, select Open and then Manage File Types.

Now scroll down to .mp3 and hit Menu.

Select Edit file type.

Now Menu again and Change Application.

Now open up the main Windows folder (not \Storage \Windows) and scroll down to wmplayer.exe and hit Done (3 times etc).

I think you need to restart the phone now.

I really hope this works for you, because otherwise you'll probably need to hard reset.

• 2 years later...
Disco stu....I love you man.

I owe you a beer.

All my problems are fixed.

I don't know why GOOGLE didn't give me this page 2 weeks back..

I've been breaking my Head for this one solution...and searched in lots of word combination in Google..

Thanks Disco.... Nice solution.. :)

• 3 months later...
Guest redstevie

wish I had found this thread sooner.

i installed-uninstalled pocketmusic twice and had to do hard reset...

no pocketmusic anymore for me :D

• 2 years later...
Guest MI 99XPL

I had the same problem and thought I'd try to reinstall the Media Player before I Hard reset my phone. While searching for a .cab, I found that there's a folder that some times goes missing or gets filled up.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=5552438

My problem was the folder was full, so I deleted the folders inside of it. And my Media Player WORKS again! I didn't even have to reinstall. I'm so happy I just had to share what I found.

Good luck.

Andy