Whistling screen

Guest pau101

Hi all,

I have recently upgraded to the SPV M500 on the attractive idea of carrying one less item with me day to day.

However I seem to have a problem with the screen making a high pitched sound. This only happens when the screen is on. It does seem to be loudest in the centre of the screen and come from there not the speaker.

It makes no difference if on a call or not. It makes no difference if mute or volume high/low. It seems to make no difference with backlight on/off or any other setting of brightness.

This is the THIRD handset I’ve had from orange now with this problem. I’m not sure three in a row is just coincidence or if there is a problem with the batch??

I spoke to OCS who were unable to comment, only telling me that their computer algorithm reports it as faulty and swap for another one (again).

Has anyone else noticed something similar??

Can those of you with this handset go pick it up, in a quiet room, put the screen near your ear and turn it on / off.

Thanks,

Pau101

Guest Confused Stu

Just tried with mine, and there's no noise whether the screen's on or off. Mind you, I never noticed the infamous regular noise on my C500 either so might be worth getting some second opinions from people who haven't abused their hearing with motorbikes! :o

Anyway, short version - chalk up one noise free M500 here!

Guest zippy172

Mine has a feint high pitched buzzing sound coming from the middle of the LCD too... Not "loud" enough to get on my mammaries yet. I might call Orange up to let them know about it... Can't really consider it a fault as such as the phone works perfectly, I use almost always use my BT headset to make/receive calls.

Guest Xenzo1990

I don't hear it. BUT humans all have a different level at which they hear things. SO maybe, you can hear the high pitch noise, and maybe I can't because my ears don't hear noises that high pitched. Just a theory.

Whenever a lightbulb is about to blow, I hear a high pitched noise coming from it, and nobody else does. So I think that some people can hear these things and some can't.

I have this on my iMate Jam. I think its a known fault with the magician.

Mine is going to SBE next week for repair / replacement. just get swapouts till they give you one that doesnt have it.

Guest zippy172

What you are actually hearing (or not as the case may be if your hearing is slightly duff) are the harmonic frequencies of the inductors used in the backlight circuitry...

While I don't personally perceive it to be a fault (read my bluetooth headset post above), given mobile phones are intrinsically linked to being used about your ear/face region of your head, it could be ruled that the high pitch whistling/buzzing is enough of a distraction to warrant replacement.

What you are actually hearing (or not as the case may be if your hearing is slightly duff) are the harmonic frequencies of the inductors used in the backlight circuitry...

While I don't personally perceive it to be a fault (read my bluetooth headset post above), given mobile phones are intrinsically linked to being used about your ear/face region of your head, it could be ruled that the high pitch whistling/buzzing is enough of a distraction to warrant replacement.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think it is a fault as not all units do it. and its bloody annoying :-(

Guest claremont4

I have the same problem on my imate Jam. The noise will dissappear if you turn off the screen whilst in a call. It has been back twice to SBE who refuse to admit there is a fault. I am learning to live reluctantly with the noise.

I don't hear it. BUT humans all have a different level at which they hear things. SO maybe, you can hear the high pitch noise, and maybe I can't because my ears don't hear noises that high pitched. Just a theory.

Whenever a lightbulb is about to blow, I hear a high pitched noise coming from it, and nobody else does. So I think that some people can hear these things and some can't.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

try telling that theory to orange... im sure they will not replace any handset with similar problems after training them up on that theory LOL!!! :o

Guest zippy172
I think it is a fault as not all units do it.  and its bloody annoying :-(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

To be perfectly fair, I am now in 100% agreement with you. Over the last couple of days I can now audibly hear this whistling from a good metre away from my phone and it's getting on my tits. Orange will be getting a call real soon.

I'm on unit number three now.

Are there definately people out there without a whistling screen?

I agree with the comments above that it is likely to be part of the electrics for the screen. But does this mean that they will all do it?

I'm thinking about changing for the C600 or giving up and waiting for the M5000 but I suspect the M5000 will be the same.

@zippy172: My appolagies it seems to be that once someone points it out to you it is then impossible to ignore!!

Guest zippy172

Phoned Orange an hour ago, complained of a whistling screen, chick the other end said her faults system didn't have whistling on it, mentioned a "screeching screen", I said, aye, that's close enough, it screeches...

I now have a "new" (read: recon) coming tomorrow between 9 and 1. Before accepting delivery of it, I'm going to power it up first!!!

Guest zippy172

Gotta say, the new phone arrived this morning and there is still an ever so faint sound coming from the LCD. Nowhere near as loud as the one that's just been sent back, but still, it's there...

Will keep an eye (well, ear!!) on it over the coming weeks to see if it develops into a louder, unbearable whistling...

10/10 for TNT delivering on a Sunday too, well impressed!

I have the same problem on my imate Jam. The noise will dissappear if you turn off the screen whilst in a call. It has been back twice to SBE who refuse to admit there is a fault. I am learning to live reluctantly with the noise.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have exactly this issue, Im not going to bother sending it to SBE if they refuse to repair it. Do you have any communication from them regarding this? I also have to switch the screen off during calls, it is very annoying.

Its MORE annoying because my mates S110 does not do it, so it cannot be a design fault...

• 3 months later...
Guest sleighty
I have exactly this issue, Im not going to bother sending it to SBE if they refuse to repair it.  Do you have any communication from them regarding this?  I also have to switch the screen off during calls, it is very annoying. 

Its MORE annoying because my mates S110 does not do it, so it cannot be a design fault...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I never noticed mine doing it until I read this thread, now I can hear it (faintly) with my right ear, but not my left. Trip to the doc's for a hearing test then! :roll:

Mine's started noticeably doing this over the past few months,

what you're hearing is the inverter circuit that drives the Electroluminescent sheet that is the backlight (i'd doubt it's LED driven, too much power)

you're hearing the actual electronic circuit - the inductor/transformer vibrating. and probably EM emissions from the circuit being transferred to the speaker also

try adjusting the brightness, this adjusts the frequency/voltage which the backlight is driven, and should alter the tone of the noise to something more acceptable (or even more annoying ;-)

Guest zippy172

Since altering the timeouts on my display and backlight, I can confirm the screeching/whistling sound isn't related to the LED backlight. My phone continues to make this sound after the backlight times out.

I might give OCS another call today to complain this phone is barely usable without giving me a headache while using it (lost my BT headset, again!), see what they say.

I've been using mine for 4 months and never noticed this, and whilst I've damaged my hearing from working in a nightclub I've still got fairly good hearing.

I don't know, you kids these days. My original 3com palm pilot makes an audible screeching noise, I used to have to put it in a drawer at night!

Bloody hell - Handset number 2 is doing it now (got a replacement for this very problem) but at least its not as bad as the first one. I wonder how long i might have not noticed it for if I hadnt been reading this thread? :?:

Anyway, got to decide if its worth the hassle of getting another replacement as I'm starting to think there are two types of people - those who have the screeching and those who havent noticed yet. ;)

Guest teefaf
Gotta say, the new phone arrived this morning and there is still an ever so faint sound coming from the LCD.  Nowhere near as loud as the one that's just been sent back, but still, it's there...

Will keep an eye (well, ear!!) on it over the coming weeks to see if it develops into a louder, unbearable whistling...

10/10 for TNT delivering on a Sunday too, well impressed!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was offered delivery on New Year's Day! Also well impressed!