My review of the JasJar

Guest rilot

Having used this thing for 24 hours now I can report my findings.

First impressions out of the box is that the thing isn't as big as I was expecting. About the same size as a normal PDA but a bit thicker. Feels very weighty with the top cover being made from brushed metal.

IMG_4812.jpg

Upon opening the device you can feel the quality of the hinge/rotate mechanism. No way this thing is going to break with extended useage.

IMG_4817.jpg

The first thing that you notice when powering it on is how fantastic the screen is. If you've used an HX4700 or X50v you will know what I'm on about. It's a 640x480 VGA display and looks stunning. No cramming websites in to one column mode with this device.

First boot takes about a minute as it moves all it's factory data around.

IMG_4819.jpg

This device runs Windows Mobile 5 which has one distinct advantage over previous versions of Windows Mobile.

- Memory is handled more like a PC. You have persistant flash for storing your apps and volatile RAM for running the programs. This means that if you run the battery down there is no chance you will ever lose your apps or data files. Big bonus.

So. On to the useage.

If you have never used a PDA/Phone device or discounted them in the past, you will probably hate it. All the same problems still exist such as the difficulty in quickly dialing a number that isn't in the phone book. General size of the device making you look like a fool holding it to your ear. Problems with carrying such a heavy device around in your pocket. etc.

If you have used a device like this before, or you are used to carrying a PDA and phone around with you, this is the device for you. You will love it.

From a mobile working perspective, this thing is a god-send. A full keyboard means that writing e-mails or documents is a doddle. The board is big enough to 4-finger type on a surface but small enough to work as a thumb board when the device is held in both hands. Very nice.

IMG_4820.jpg

3G data functionality is excellent with signal strength being way better than my old Z1010. Browsing the web in a 3G area is fast, and I mean FAST. It's not going to compare with broadband in your house but it's ISDN territory easily. Pages load quickly and the VGA screen means that you aren't scrolling the things around all over the place.

A really nice feature is that you can make/recieve a voice call while using the 3G data and it won't drop the data connection.

Wifi performance is on a par with most devices of this type. Decent signal reception and OK performance.

As a phone it works well. The calls are clean and the speaker loud. The in built speakerphone works well too. Very useable especially if the device is sat on a table.

One point though regarding phone calls:

Due to the lack of an external display (you aren't going to want to leave it in PDA mode exposing that screen to the inside of your pocket) a bluetooth headset with a caller ID display is essential. The only 2 I know of with this feature are the SE HBH-660 and the Jabra BT-800. I have both of them and the Jabra is the best by far.

If you are looking at getting a JASJAR then factor in the cost for one of these. It's a bit of a pain having to open the device to see who's calling.

So to sum up we shall end with the old good points/bad points list

Good points:

3G Data

Does absolutely everything

Excellent keyboard

Good phone

Amazing screen

Well built

Good 1.3MP camera

Bad points:

Big

Heavy

Not for everyone

No external display

Not as fast you might like

MS BT stack rather than WIDCOMM

Thanks Rilot :o

Super Review, I got to hold and play with this thing at the MoDaCo Event last month.. I'm so tempted :(

Still, leaving for uni in 7 days: I'll wait and see!

-Raz

Guest Samsonite

hows it compare with a Jam for size? any chance of a picture up against something to give a scale?

nice review tho! i have a buddy at work who is going to join us and ditch his P900. I pointed him at MoDaCo when the first images of this device appeared and he was hooked!!

Hi, can you answer this re activesync; does it start itself periodically? On the BA running WM5 it does that. Also even though it has a lid you can close is there any sort of screen lock for when you use it with the screen facing out? Thanks

Couple of questions....regarding the bluetooth stack.

1. Does it support voice dialing over the bluetooth headset?

2. Does it support the A2DP Stereo headphone profile (for use with the HP bluetooth headphones?)

Was hoping that with WM 5 that the microsoft stack would contain these profiles.

THANKS!!!

1.  Does it support voice dialing over the bluetooth headset?

2.  Does it support the A2DP Stereo headphone profile (for use with the HP bluetooth headphones?)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

1. It does. It has an app built in for this task. A press of the BT headset button sets it going.

2. Not that I can see. I am actually most dissappointed with the BT stack on the phone. The MS stack is rubbish, clunky to use, lacks functionality and just sucks basically.

Hi, can you answer this re activesync; does it start itself periodically? On the BA running WM5 it does that. Also even though it has a lid you can close is there any sort of screen lock for when you use it with the screen facing out? Thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

AS4 seem to work just fine. Not noticed it starting up periodically.

There is a lock function accessable from settings that locks all buttons apart from the power button when the device is switched off (PDA part off, phone active).

Edited by rilot

Guest BeyondtheTech

Being a USA resident, I am sorely disappointed that this device does not have the GSM 850MHz band nor EDGE. The UMTS/WCDMA/3G capability is also totally useless for the US market since Cingular is the only one that has UMTS, but that's also on totally different band, since I'm told 2100MHz is used for the military (though it's been rumored to be up for bid around 2007?).

This device is clearly for the non-US market, so I'm ending up with an HTC Wizard by next week.

How is the battery time? I know you only tried it for 24 hours but how much of the battery did you wear out within that time?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not brilliant but more than acceptable.

Today I was banging away with the 3G connection and browsing the web. After 2 hours I was down to 50%.

That sounds poor but bear in mind I was browsing almost continuously and running the 3G data connection at the same time which kills the battery almost as much as wifi.

I will report more about battery life after I've used the device for a week.

How would you feel this would work in a Carkit situation ? Ie can you swing the screen around have it on display along with a keypad should you wish to dial out ?

I voiced concerns about this over on the XDA Forum from the point of view the phone will have to be in wide screen mode to have a drop in charger in the car.

And the way I see it this will be used by execs so they will need it on charge while they chat away all day on their BT car kits..... sort of misses the target audience IMHO.

Terran

Guest buckinghamrd

Thanx for the review - does the callers name appear on the Jabra BT-800 ( if its in the contacts) or just the number, I am sure I read somebody had the Sony-erricson one but only the number showed?

Thanx

Tim

Thanx for the review - does the callers name appear on the Jabra BT-800 ( if its in the contacts) or just the number, I am sure I read somebody had the Sony-erricson one but only the number showed?

Thanx

Tim

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Only the number. For some reason HTC devices only pass the number to hands free devices and not the contact name. Not sure why.

Excellent review....

Do you know if this device will support Smartner?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

just tried it on my nice new shiny jasjar

no luck......... hangs on installation........have put a support question into smartner

rilot quick question. Do you have any problem viewing html emails? On my BA running WM5 any html emails display a blank message body, only the header is kept. Was wondering if this is due to the beta WM5 im running or a general problem with html on WM5, thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest mattandamyprince

Hi , new to Modaco , and getting a Jasjar tomorrow morning.

Noticed on the screen it has the tomtom logo , i also use tomtom and was wondering if it works on the jasjar as i have had a few people saying it doesnt.

If it does is it the pocketpc version of tomtom.

If it does work , have you used it and is it reliable?

Many Thanks in advance

Matt ;)

Guest mcwarre

Welcome to the site!

TomTom does run on the JasJAr; you should use TomTom 5.1 (PocketPC version).

It is stable and reliable. Eats the battery life tough......

Guest mattandamyprince

Brilliant!! , thanks for a quick reply , not too bothered about battery life as i will be having an in car charger connected. Is the jasjar a good phone in all? ;)

Matt