Which UK web distributor for K-Jam? Who's good?

Guest ddieter

Guest gamer_242

I’m thinking about getting the k-jam from expansys

http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=125569

£17.95 on voda 350, 18 month contract, half price rent for 6 months, however there are 2 questions burning in my head that id like to find the answers for before i buy it!

I have been looking around tying to find out what is supplied with it in terms of accessories, but can’t find out. Also what you would recommend getting with it if not supplied

My second question i hope you can answer is whether or not it is compatible with tomtom 5. i have heard that there are compatibility issues but don’t know if this true, has anyone got tried it?

Guest mcwarre
I’m thinking about getting the k-jam from expansys

http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=125569

£17.95 on voda 350, 18 month contract, half price rent for 6 months, however there are 2 questions burning in my head that id like to find the answers for before i buy it! 

I have been looking around tying to find out what is supplied with it in terms of accessories, but can’t find out. Also what you would recommend getting with it if not supplied

My second question i hope you can answer is whether or not it is compatible with tomtom 5. i have heard that there are compatibility issues but don’t know if this true, has anyone got tried it?

First Question: look here for a few accessories. Remember it is brand new so accessories will be available but will take a while.

Section Question: Look here and here it mentions HTC Universal but it works for the Wizard as well. HTH

Guest thereaperman

[qoute]

I have been looking around tying to find out what is supplied with it in terms of accessories, but can’t find out. Also what you would recommend getting with it if not supplied[\quote]

If comes suppiled with

2 x stylus

1 x leather case

1 x battery

[qoute]My second question i hope you can answer is whether or not it is compatible with tomtom 5. i have heard that there are compatibility issues but don’t know if this true, has anyone got tried it?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest mcwarre
It will work with Tomtom 5 no problem, you just need to install it from the .cab files on the phone and via the installer or activsync.

Be careful; if you have activesync 4 there may be some problems using the setup.exe. Copy the .cab files to the storage card and use a file explorer to find and install them.

Guest markdotpeters5

reaper, could you post some samples from the camera and possibly a captured video please?

Does it play fullscreen video using betaplayer? Or TCPMP as it's called now..?

What's it like as an MP3 player?

Tempted you see, but i've only just started another Orange contract, so i'd have to get it sim free :/ = expensive!

Guest thereaperman

reaper, could you post some samples from the camera and possibly a captured video please?[\quote]

i will try and get one done tonight for you no problem

Edited by thereaperman

Guest skimber

Took the plunge and ordered from expansys on the o2 100 deal.

At the time (40 mins ago) every mention of the k-jam on expansys claimed 393 in stock.

Order went through and still said in stock, then i got an email to call the connections team to arrange the contract stuff before the phone could be sent out. I did this and was immediatedly told that there was a problem with stock and that "although it says we have stock on the website there has actually been a stock transfer of 350" (whatever that means!) and it will be the 10th at the earliest before they get more stock!

Now the stock on the o2 deal page has suddenly changed to 42..... and the sim-free phone has changed to 12!

What are they playing at?

Guest markdotpeters5

Ah, the magical stock figures from expansys :o

I just went and had a look at the dummy model of a jas jar from my local 'O' shop.

My god, it's lovely. I really want one, but can't bring myself to spend £700 on it!

I've got another 10 months left on my contract too :(

Edited by markdotpeters5

Guest ddieter

Went down to the local 'O' shop and saw the dummy model?

Obviously the O stands for O2?

Can't see it standing for Orange....it'll be about 3 months before they even get a dummy model, let alone the real deal.

Anyway, its a tough decision...wait until the Wizard comes to a local carrier or order it on blind faith over the net?

I know the phone is only 0.56 cm thicker than the Jam (and 0.67cm than C500), but that might translate into feeling like a brick in your jean's pocket. Think about it, its almost 40% thicker than C500.

thereaperman, whats your take? Does it feel that much bigger in your pocket?

Although I guess it has its benefits. Maybe I'd have more luck with the ladies with a bigger bulge in my pocket. :o

Guest markdotpeters5

Sorry, but no! It was my local Orange shop. Lovely looking unit, just chuffing expensive!

The dummy unit i was referring to was the jasjar btw, not the wizard.

@thereaperman

Did u have a jm before this and which do you prefer ,Ive got a 128mb jam but no sure if this is a downgrade or not from a 128 superjam memory wise,what do you think does it have more or less?

Thanks

Guest Pondrew
@thereaperman

Did u have a jm before this and which do you prefer ,Ive got a 128mb jam but no sure if this is a downgrade or not from a 128 superjam memory wise,what do you think does it have more or less?

Thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Wizard is strange in that it has only 64meg ram (the same as the Magician) and yet has a full 128meg flash rom! That's more then devices like the Blue Angel! I'm guessing this has something to do with the way Windows Mobile 5 uses memory and given the benchmark tests show the Wizard outperforming the Magician I CERTAINLY wouldn't consider it a downgrade.

i'd be interested to hear if any other dealers have the k-jam or preferably the 9100 with a range of sensibly-priced contracts.

i'd love to have a chance to play with the phone first but can't see me managing to wait that long !

Guest thereaperman
@thereaperman

Thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yes i have then jam here, and would not go back to it now, this is a much better device and even if it had then 128mb of ram like yours (jam that is). this is defo not a downgrade. as pondrew rightly says the memory setup is different to the jam, and i have install a couple of things on this k-jam and still have a lot of ram left, which on the jam i did not etc. do not

Guest Marizu

Although I have ordered a Qtek 9100 from buymobilephones, I would rather have the K Jam because the keys are silver.

Unless the keyboard has lights in it, I would think that KJam would be easier to type on in low light conditions.

I'm buying on price so Qtek it is.

Guest jordy32

of note to anyone, like me, who has a pre-order for the Qtek 9100 on buymobilephones, the release date has slipped back to a quoted next month. A conversation to customer services suggests a delivery on the 20th October as their first delivey but this could change and is likely to be the quoted next month.

Oh bugger...

Guest ddieter

So what's the best deal people have seen so far?

I personally think it is jordy32's spot on buymobilephones

Free Qtek 9100 on O2 250 with 100 messages for £35 a month for 12 months.

Mind you they don't have any in stock, and as you can see above maybe won't for a couple of weeks :o

Afraid the Expansys offer just isn't a good deal at all....willing to wait a couple weeks than piss away a couple hundred quid (between an extra 6 months on the 18 month contract and that fact that you'll have to spend another £14 a month when the 250 texts expires after 6 months).

I'm assuming the best deals will come out once the carriers start releasing this model (whenever that will be, anyone have any info?)

Please post if you think you've seen a deal that beats the 02 250 on buymobilephones

Guest thereaperman

well here a quick photo i did before with the camera. I will post some more later, comparing the jam and the k-jams photos with the use of the built in flash on the k-jam(when i have had time to play with the setting a little bit)

post-6210-1128467117_thumb.jpg

Guest Pondrew

Looks great. Must say this handset looks pretty cool.

Would like to see a version where the keyboard slides out providing portrait screen (Blue Angel style) rather then landscape. If they could do that in the Wizard size I'd get one.

Guest TigerNet
Looks great. Must say this handset looks pretty cool.

Would like to see a version where the keyboard slides out providing portrait screen (Blue Angel style) rather then landscape. If they could do that in the Wizard size I'd get one.

...so fussy!!!

:roll:

Cheers

Nick