What's happened to the Mpx220?

Guest monkeygadge

Guest monkeygadge

This forum seems to have slowed down somewhat. What's happenned to the Mpx220? How many people still have one? Who's given up on her? Who's come back? Who knows? Vote now!!

Guest awarner [MVP]

One reason why it could be quiet is that the MPx220 only had a short life as such before being left behind.

It only really took off in the US as such, and the Smartphone market is still fairly new there.

Moto have lost the plot a bit with releasing new devices that are technically already out of date like the i930.

Guest Paraklas

I believe that mpx220 is one of the best smartphone devices out there - if you compare it with handsets of it's age like the C500. It has some flaws but what phone doesn't have? Luckily, moto seems to have addressed a lot of the issues with the firmware updates.

I really like this phone and I don't intend to change it at least for now. The i-mate sp5 seems promising but I won't make the same mistake twice (sp3i before) - at least not before some goood review comes out and all hardware flaws are listed.

Guest monkeygadge

I'm in th UK and the first time I got my hands on the 220, everyone was waiting for Orange to release it, but they never did. A year on and I had a little accident with my original handset :cry: so I decided to research what was available.

I came to the conclusion that If you didn't want a spaceship in your pocket, you suffer from a gadget disposition, and were vain enough that it had to look cool, then the 220 was the only phone out there. Not so sure about "out of date" Awarner. Not just yet for some of us.

My display went wonky, and since it's still under Warranty I decided to send it back to Moto rather than DIY the fix. I can't work without a smartphone in my pocket, so on a whim I bought a slighty used SMT5600 on ebay to serve as my phone while my MPx220 was awol.

Well, what a revelation! It's smaller, but with a better display. It's faster at about everything, much much more stable. I love it. OK, it looks like everyother candy bar phone out there, and the 'joystick, er flipper or whatever the heck it's called, is sub-optimal, but the darned thig is faster and more relyable than my MPx220 ever was.

Looks like when my '220' gets back home I'm going to ebay it, then wait for the HTC Star Trek to come out. In the meantime, 'viva la Typhoon'!

MadSci

PS: Anyone interested in a slightly used refurbished MPx220? ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Alphacompton

I can't believe the popularity of the MPX220 is going to die. I believe it to be such a fantastic phone. It's capable of so many things, all in a nice sleek phone. It can do internet, e-mail , chat, thether to laptop, mp3 player. I love taking out my phone when I'm with my friends who haven't seen it yet, they think their phone is so cool, and I show them mine and everything it can do, and then all they have left to say is "damm I can't believe I bought this phone". ;) It's a smartphone and it's pretty cheap, I'm a college student , and this phone is like a pda replacement(although I use a HP Pocket PC) I'm praying for the Windows Mobile 5 release sometime, but with so few people left supporting the MPX220 I can't imagine it coming out. This phone will be even better with windows Mobile 5, it must be possible for it to come out at some point because Microsoft said in some of it's older articles concerning, Windows Mobile 5 (a.k.a. Magneto) that it will be tested first on MPX 220 smartphone.

If this phone has the go , can someone show me a better phone worth buying?

Guest skippythenurse

I am also a first with smartphones. I used to always carry my iPaq (or Palm which ever I was in the mood for) and my moto V180. Then, I found the MPx220 on Cnet.com because I was just bored one night. I looked at the specs, the design, and the cool features. I felt that it would complete me. And it did! I sold my old Moto V180, sold my Palm, but still kept the iPaq because it still has some use. Now, I am afraid of loosing it because there are so little smartphones nowadays that have the clamshell form factor. I am not a candy bar type of guy. I like the SMT5600, but if it don't flip I ain't gonna trip. There is that one phone from MOTO, I believe that it is the A780. It uses linux. NICE. I'll wait around for that one.

Guest monkeygadge

Just bought a Sony Ericsson W800i for my girlfriend, and I had to set it all up for her. Quite scary....

2MPxl camera - much better than Mpx220, the colour balance and flash etc are balanced to give great photo's.

Music - only plays MP3's, so had to download iTunes to get it to work with PC. Once it was up and running - files transfer to phone at about 2x speed of WMP&MPX220

Sync - comes with its own sync software to sync Outlook contacts, tasks, calendar and inbox.

Although it is a candy bar, I have to say that it came with a 512MB Memory card, and it's major downfall is that you cannot install apps to it unless they are from Sony. Appart from that I would say that Sony have managed to catch up with Windows Mobile 2003 and overtake it in a lot of ways. With the comments appearing about Windows Mobile 2005 and the unlikelyhood of a version coming out for Mpx220, I don't think that the phone has got much life left in it. Soon Moto will probably come out with a more modern flip phone, that is not Windows, but will knock the socks off the Mpx220. All I know is that if they do, I'll probably be first in line to buy it. ;)

• 1 year later...

Will, i'm from Portugal and the biggest problem for me now is the Sim Lock... I can't find anywhere any software to unlock it! So, its not being used right now... ;)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest geoffrey118

I have an MPx220 too! But I am thinking of changing it - for the simple reason that they've stopped issuing new ROM updates! ex: why the heck didn't they make WM5 compatible on the MPx220!? Why the heck don't we have access to WM6!!

Don't get me wrong - it's really awesome but it's like the following example:

If you're a tuner and own a Mercedez or BMW....you won't be glad as much as you own an EVO or an Impreza!! I'm sure you got the gist of it!?

Best Regards,

Geoffrey