Actvesync Remote Display

Guest bennish

Guest bennish

Sorry if I'm just being ignorant...

I can't seem to find a version of Activesync Remote Display that works wth WM5/AS4 - is there one, or a free equivalent? looked on MS site but unless I completely missed it couldn't find anything there.

I haven't got a WM5 device to try it on but the latest version of Remote Display released by Microsoft is included in Windows Mobile Developer Power Toys here

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nice try, but that's what @bennish was asking - we've got that version already and it don't work on WM5.0 ......the MS page says :

Supported Operating Systems: Windows 2000 Service Pack 3; Windows Server 2003; Windows XP

Windows Mobile 2003 based Pocket PCs

Windows Mobile 2003 based Smartphones

Windows Mobile 2002 based Pocket PCs

Windows Mobile 2002 based Smartphones

So we're all still waiting for a version that works on our Wizard/Magician devices - oh, and one that we don't have to pay for :)

Mark.

• 2 weeks later...
I noticed that MitchellO had a rather good screen cap of his k-jam... unless he was using a commercial app.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:D/ - it works!!!!

In the directory you installed the Mobile Developer Power Toys, find the "Activesync Remote Display" directory and RTFM :shock: ......

Basically, all you need to do is copy the two files in "C:\Program Files\Windows Mobile Developer Power Toys\ActiveSync_Remote_Display\devices\wce400\armv4t" to the \WINDOWS directory on your WM5.0 device using ActiveSync.

When you fire up the shortcut for ActiveSync Remote Display on your PC, it bitches that "The OS or CPU of this device is unknown to this application" - just click OK and your WM5.0 display will appear in the main window!!!! The first time that you start and stop the remote display, your phone/device will give you the "This program is from an unknown publisher...." message, so just say Yes and it won't ask you again.

The only caveat is that you seem to get the remote display icon (windows logo in a circle) in the notification area (where the battery and screen rotation icons are) one position to the left each time you stop and start the remote display. No big deal, but can look a bit weird after you've stopped/started about ten times :?:

Give it a go - the quality of the display on the PC is as crap as ever (and zooming it only makes it worse), but it's still nice to be able to compose a message reply on a full size keyboard from time to time :)

Cheers, Mark.

Didn't realise you could type messages using the PC keyboard and Remote Display!

I want to be able to click start and that but ticking or not ticking "Send all mouse clicks" doesnt seem to change anythin :) Is there any keyboard shortcuts or a way i can use the mouse?

OOh just found out :)

F1 = Left Soft Key

F2 = Right Soft Key

F3 = Green Button

F4 = Red Button

F6 = Volume Up

F7 = Volume Down

F = #

Windows Button/Start Button = Home (Although it brings up start menu on pc)

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Well the Start button on my keyboard clicks start on my KJAM - and brings my PC start menu up too unfortunately!

F1 - Left softkey

F2 - Right softkey

F3 - Phone dialer

F6 - Volumeup

F7 - Volumedown

F8 - *

F9 - #

` - Standby

Mouse commands work fine for me btw...

Edit - beat me to it Wally!

Edit - beat me to it Wally!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hehe :) Thanks anyway :D

I'm guessing mouse clicks only work for PPC's then? Mouse clicks emulating the touch screen? I'm using C550 you see.

Guest puckster
beauuuutiful.

thanks guys!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bennish, i noticed you have remapped the left softkey as start menu. You currently have the exact setup i want (Left - Start ; Right - Messaging), but i havent found a solution to get start menu to work via a soft key. I have had a look through all the major ppc forums but havent found anyone else that has done it.

Could you let me know how you did this? Is this an exe or shortcut you are pointing to in the registry or have you used a software button mapper etc?

Thanks

Chris

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

You can do it with SPB PocketPlus i believe.

On my KJAM i have the top two hardware keys bound to Start (the messages button) and Close/OK (the IE button), which allows for almost stylus-free use when in portrait mode :)

Guest bennish

actually i cheat. It opens up tillansoft smallmenu, a sort of start replacement (it's a cascading one, and i just point to the exe.)

How do you do it in spb pocketplus, monolithix?

Yea, i tried the same thing with those top 2 mono, but found it annoying to have to shift my hand all the time. I currently have the top left side as (microsoft) start, and top right side as ok/close. I rarely use the top 2. How i wish they were below the screen where 'imate' and 'kjam' are written... :|

Guest puckster
actually i cheat. It opens up tillansoft smallmenu, a sort of start replacement (it's a cascading one, and i just point to the exe.)

How do you do it in spb pocketplus, monolithix?

Yea, i tried the same thing with those top 2 mono, but found it annoying to have to shift my hand all the time. I currently have the top left side as (microsoft) start, and top right side as ok/close. I rarely use the top 2. How i wish they were below the screen where 'imate' and 'kjam' are written... :|

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ahh, thanks for letting us know, i thought it may have been a cheat as i havent seen anyone that has found a way to map "Start" to a softkey as there seems to be no exe or shortcut involved.

Even with SPB PocketPlus it still only allows you to map extra functions to the hardware buttons, it just enables more programs / apps to be used.

Chris

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Hmm i hadn't actually looked properly into the button map options in Pocket+ - sorry to have gotten your hopes up!

The mod is a reg hack, not sure what though...

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest WarezAppz
;)/ - it works!!!!

The only caveat is that you seem to get the remote display icon (windows logo in a circle) in the notification area (where the battery and screen rotation icons are) one position to the left each time you stop and start the remote display. No big deal, but can look a bit weird after you've stopped/started about ten times :?:

Cheers, Mark.

Actually, FYI, the icon in the notification area is a menu for the application (Mobile device side) and lets you change update/refresh rate; connect from the device to the PC; and exit the application.

You might want to use it as if you don't (even Microsoft states in the readme file) that the process (cerdisp2.exe) will continue to run. We all know that it is not wise to let a process take up resources (run) when it is not needed.

Another side-note is that: This isn't limited to an ActiveSync connection in order to be able to use it. I have successfully connected using bluetooth (via ActiveSync) and also by connecting via my Wireless Router (not using ActiveSync {the key here is to initiate the connection via the device not the PC. Unless you are using a host proxy on your device to resolve names, use the IP address of the PC - and have the Remote Display app running on the PC before initiating the connection}). :)

Pocket Hosts can be found HERE.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest thescreensavers

ok i put the files on my devise in the windows folder and when I click on the thing it says os and cpu is unknown so i hit ok and then it just a white screen. what else other then put the files in do i have to do?

Edited by thescreensavers

• 4 months later...
Guest MN-Internet
Actually, FYI, the icon in the notification area is a menu for the application (Mobile device side) and lets you change update/refresh rate; connect from the device to the PC; and exit the application.

You might want to use it as if you don't (even Microsoft states in the readme file) that the process (cerdisp2.exe) will continue to run. We all know that it is not wise to let a process take up resources (run) when it is not needed.

Another side-note is that: This isn't limited to an ActiveSync connection in order to be able to use it. I have successfully connected using bluetooth (via ActiveSync) and also by connecting via my Wireless Router (not using ActiveSync {the key here is to initiate the connection via the device not the PC. Unless you are using a host proxy on your device to resolve names, use the IP address of the PC - and have the Remote Display app running on the PC before initiating the connection}). ;)

Pocket Hosts can be found HERE.

I want to thank you for finding out how to use this tool. I have been looking for someting like this ever since I gave my Razor V3 to my wife. I was missing the ability to send a message through the phone while connected to the computer.

If you figure out how to use the other PowerToys on the HTC Wizard, please let me know. :D

Thank you-ever so much, :(

Dr. Cook